3GS keeps dropping calls

DoubleM

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I dunno if AT&T is just messed up or what, but i'm in my home with my iPhone 3GS and it keeps dropping calls after I pick up the phone, sometimes it stay connected for 5 seconds, sometimes 3, or 8. 3G is on, but the service for that is very slow, if it even works. Voicemail sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. The nearest Apple store is 40 minutes away and I really don't feel like driving all the way down. Seems like something simple. I've power cycled the phone and have popped the sim card in and out and also sync'd it with iTunes. Any ideas? Thanks!

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I have found that switching 3G off for better receptions works well for me. You might have to try it and see. The biggest issue is AT&T coverage. Might want to call them first before taking it back to Apple.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
An in building booster may work well for those who have indoor reception issues. Depends on how ATT implements the femtocell. Verizon sells for a couple hundred bucks with no additional monthly fee. ATT is likely to charge an extra monthly fee. I have in building boosters in my home and office. If you can find one place in your home where your phone gets good reception, you could put it there and then use a cordless phone such as the GE Cell Fusion (cheap at buy.com today). The latter is a bluetooth enabled cordless phone that can be used to make and receive calls over a cell phone. Very handy.

silentz

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife had a problem with calls dropping on her 3G. We took it to the AT&T store and they swapped the SIM card. This seemed to resolve the issue.

MMFCOD

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Femtocell Costs?

The thing about femtocell is we're going to end up paying extra per month to use our iphones anyway. Does anybody have the projected prices? Does anyone use one of these signal boosters? cNet has wi-ex zboost with pretty high ratings. It seems like it might be worth it to pay once for one of these instead of paying monthly to AT&T.

WesTCoasTMouA

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
AT&T does have bad service. I drop calls everyone in a while and pisses me off really bad. Also it says I have full bars but I still drop calls and then I try to call back and still no service.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Cellular Amplifiers

As I mentioned earlier- I use a Wilson wireless amp in my car, a Wilson amp in my office and a Wi-Ex booster in my home. My home is within site of a mountaintop cell site, but the metal roof blocks radio signals. The Wi-Ex is "OK", but doesn't offer as much amplification as the Wilson amps. These amps greatly increase my coverage. I live in the Adirondack Park in NY. It's one of the most environmentally protected areas of the world. Even the views are protected; the environmentalists who visit here from NYC and NJ don't want to look at cell towers! I don't remember the last time that a call dropped in my car. The amp in my office provides coverage in a location where I have "no service" if I pull the plug on the amp.

The thing about femtocell is we're going to end up paying extra per month to use our iphones anyway. Does anybody have the projected prices? Does anyone use one of these signal boosters? cNet has wi-ex zboost with pretty high ratings. It seems like it might be worth it to pay once for one of these instead of paying monthly to AT&T.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR