Extra button on iphone

Vox

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
I like it with a single button. The shutter-button thing I can understand, but there are apps that turn the whole touchscreen into a shutter-button, so...no need for a HW button.

BuesinessTime

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I've had an iPhone since the second week they came out and at first I thought "man this device could use another button or two" but now I think about it and I wouldn't want anything else on it. I don't miss my buttons at all.

Syncopations

Jun 8, 2009
www.authenticragtime.com
A single button is fine. The shutter button can easily be solved via software upgrade. When the camera app is running, the Sleep/Wake or up volume button can easily be set to be a second shutter button. Now that I think about it, I'm suprised that hasn't happened.

h4rk

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
After about 30 seconds of pondering, the only thing I would want another button for would be to snap a photo because it's incredibly difficult to take a picture of yourself. I wouldn't want one that would launch an application because the icon dock allows you to have your favorite four apps with you anyway. I don't think it needs more buttons.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I made this mockup based on what people want and trying to keep it simple..
Personally it's not for me. It looks like the way Samsung and LG would make an iPhone lmao..

I just like how extra buttons (heat-sensitive in this case) open the possibilites of the OS.

As you can see in the attached render, the button being touched opens the mobile expose screen, which is something I'd REALLY like to see.

Blech

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I made this mockup based on what people want and trying to keep it simple..
Personally it's not for me. It looks like the way Samsung and LG would make an iPhone lmao..

I just like how extra buttons (heat-sensitive in this case) open the possibilites of the OS.

As you can see in the attached render, the button being touched opens the mobile expose screen, which is something I'd REALLY like to see.

Blech

Thats all the smart phones put together into one.

Hakala

Mar 20, 2009
forum.theiphoneblog.com
If everybody here who wants the the volume up or down key to be a quick shutter button were to call apple on the same day or two days something would definitley happen software wise. It's something that could definitley happen and possibly go into another 3.1beta or even 3.2/3.1.1 whatever. If u want it call apple and suggest it. If they get enough calls about the particular subject they will maybe start testing the idea.

seghis

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
software button?

What about an extra soft "home" button on the touch screen? I'm afraid the hardware one will stop working and we have no alternatives.

SHEDGES

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I think having a "MENU" or "BACK" button would be very functional. If you access a hyperlink in an email, it launches the internet. After you're done with the article you have to exit Safari and go back into your email instead of having a "BACK" function. Great phone but there are some things that could enhance the functionality.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
I would like more buttons or a way to set the side buttons to do something else that I could pick.

I think that a clear way to get to the settings screen (or menu) of all active apps would be nice. I have to hunt for the settings buttons.. some apps have an "i" in some corner, some apps have their settings squirreled away in the Settings application... Nothing consistent.

This may be a withdrawal symptom from my ancient Treo, which had a menu button. But I don't like installing an app, and then hunting for the way to set its various settings and options.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I agree with the OP that the iPhone should have had an app-specific menu button. With the current design, you have app preferences often set via the "Settings" icon from the home screen which, IMHO, is just plain stupid. Too often these settings are things that need to be changed more frequently and should reside within the app.

There are also app-specific options which need to be selected regularly. Is having part of the screen dedicated to this "menu bar" the greatest use of space? If we had a menu button, this could be hidden most of the time.

Having said that, I wouldn't hold my breath for them to change the design on an upcoming iPhone (their Macs and MacBooks still only have a single mouse button), and I personally would not *want* them to change it now, because it would break backward compatibility. But here's what I think they could/should do via an OS update:

1) Have the action of swiping *up* from the bottom of the device cause an app-specific menu to be dragged up.

2) Have the action of swiping *down* from the top of the device cause a notifications screen be dragged up.

3) Possibly have a swipe left/right inside of Safari cause a previous/next page action.

4) Have the press of the one (Home) button cause the home screen to launch *on top* of the current app (semi-translucent), and have the last four recently used apps displayed in the bottom bar, allowing to act as a quasi-task-switcher.

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
no i don`t think so, its the iphone not the iberry having 300 buttons and different icons for different settings to change settings for the settings of the setting of the 100 options its not my idea of a good desing or what they call blackberry

sandos

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
One button makes it just that much less likely that you'll have some sort of hardware failure. At the same time, perhaps some sort of functionality up to say 5 clicks might be interesting... I dunno.