Copy a few PDF's (and some other filetypes) and read them - How?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
What's an easy way to copy a few PDF's (or text files) to my Touch (OS 3) and read them?

Do I have to install an application to do this?

The files are huge and inconvenient to e-mail to me (which is a kludgey way to do this anyway ..).

Aloke

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
They have apps on the app store that will allow you to do this I don't have any so I can't give you any good ones.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I hear docs to go it good.
[URL="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist?id=317107312&at=10l3Vy]Link[/URL]

Last edited:

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
IMO, FileMagic, Docs To Go, and QuickOffice are the best available. All three have a WiFi sync with them to get Docs over to your iPhone. They all three have a good Filing System with them.

File Magic is only a "Filing Cabinet". It will file, store, and view(only) docs, pictures, movies, and music. It handles the "filing" part the best of all three.

Docs To Go can create and edit Word docs, but only view Excel sheets for now. It can also view many other doc formats. It has a "filing cabinet" also. Not as slick as FileMagic but you can drop and drag entire files VERY easily to your iPhone. It will also sync any changes that you make to those files. It probably handles this the best of all three.

QuickOffice is the most full featured of the three. It will view all kinds/formats of docs and it can create/edit Word and Excel Files. It also has a "filing cabinet". You can also drop and drag entire files via WiFi and if you are a Mobile Me user it also sync with MoMe. This is why I use QO the most!:D They also just released an update that allows QuickOffice to download/file/edit email attachments. No other app does this yet. D2G is not far behind though.

These are the three that I use and can recommend. I am sure there are others as well.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Reading PDF's is important to me. I don't think that DTG reads PDF files.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll read up about them.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
I have quick office files and it is great for reading and downloading files to my phone. editing these files must be on the quick office suite.

holland_patrick

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I needed one and was suggested Fileaid.. I find it works good but i had a large doc that it SUCKED to open but i split it in to small parts and it works great for what i need.

tonybove

Mar 27, 2009
www.tonybove.com
If you mean "a few" PDFs, why not just email them to your email account on your iPhone? I do this all the time. I email a PDF as attachment -- to myself -- which I can open and view in Mail on the iPhone. No need for anything else.

I just tested a 2.4 megabyte PDF file with images and I could view it easily in Mail.

However, you can't copy text from the PDF using copy/paste on the iPhone. You can if the attachment to the email is a Word or Rich Text Format (RTF) doc -- you can copy the text out of the PDF in advance, into a Word doc or standard RTF text file, attach that, and then use copy/paste.

I hope this helps!

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
IMO, FileMagic, Docs To Go, and QuickOffice are the best available. All three have a WiFi sync with them to get Docs over to your iPhone. They all three have a good Filing System with them.
These are the three that I use and can recommend. I am sure there are others as well.
Do DTG and QuickOffice co-exist peacefully on the iPhone?

Which one opens attachments in Exchange emails? Any tips in setting both up on one device?

3seven1

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
I use Readdle Docs. It's worked great for me so far. It allows you to email files to a special email address and then download them from within the app. You can also transfer files with wifi. It has a companion website for online storage. Folders can be created so that you can organize your files and you can import pictures from your iphone to readdle docs. No complaints so far. Oh and you can password protect the app for your more secure docs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner