So I live out in the boonies, far away from an Apple store or AT&T store. Simply, I want to explore repair/replacement options because I got dust under the glass on my new 3GS. I call up Apple and when I dial the number I get 3 rings and then a technician answers who can help me!

This is almost unheard of, to make a phone call, to simply get a technician who can help you. So I tell the guy that my iPhone has dust under the glass and that I live far away, and he cuts immediately to the chase. "That's absolutely unacceptable" he says "You should NOT have any dust under your screen and we'll be happy to exchange your phone for you. Since you live far from any service options and I see you have Applecare we'll send you a replacement phone overnight and the packaging is setup for you to return the faulty phone to us."

Some more conversation as he plugs the numbers in he talks to me about stuff, I tell him why I converted to Mac and its because I use to be a Linux user. The dude then tells me about how he keeps a Gentoo server in his house, loves Linux, also uses a Mac, and I proceed to have a sorta geeky chat on the phone with this guy while he plugs in the numbers and info for the exchange order.

I do have to agree to have a credit card hold in the event that I do not return the original phone, which is no problem since I have every intention of returning it. A few minutes of chatting and he informs me that we're good to go.

Today the Fedex driver shows up with a small package, and the package is setup really easily. There's a friendly greeting on the inside of the flap that apologizes for my iPhone not being perfect and there are two boxes inside the shaped foam padding. One is a white box with a white foam sleeve and the other is a sorta "mini" retail box with a brand new 3GS inside it. The return shipping label is embedded into the original label on the outside of the box. You just break away a stub that's perforated and the label is underneath.

They really thought this through.

When I had the Palm Pre that had several dead pixels and, what I believed, was a defective radio I was stonewalled and said the Sprint store that's 150 miles away was my only option for replacement. So I call them, they have some in stock, I go to the store and they say they have no more stock left. The reason? According to the store employee they sold 12 Pre's, had 30 in stock, and they have exchanged out all of their stock. One guy exchanged through 7 Pre's and was now waiting for a replacement. This is what the store employee told me.

What a difference. I guess this is part of the reason Apple's stock price is worth over ten times what Palm's is.
    07-20-2009 05:08 PM
    That's nothing, spend a couple hours on the phone with them (for any problems) and see a brand new shiny iPod nano show up on your door step (fed ex 2day). Apple's customer service just obliterates everyone else. Just how BAD Microsofts CS is Apple's is that GOOD.
    07-20-2009 06:10 PM
    Many times, I've walked into an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment and I start to give my talk about what's wrong with my iPhone and before I could get my defensive face on, they tell me, "Sure, let's just switch it out!" With a smile.

Also, when I switched out my iPhone because of a dead pixel, they gave me a completely brand new iPhone and let me keep both sets of headphones, cable, and charger plug. Awesome!

The only downer is that AT&T's customer service is nowhere near Apple's - not really that bad, but not really that good either.
    07-20-2009 07:17 PM
    Obsolutely right. miscrosofts tech support sucks, its like their still using the old landline phones with the 20 foot long cord...they didnt help me at all, where as i went to the apple store because 3.0 ruined my phone, but i came out of the store a couple hours later with a brand new shiny iphone. The clerks there are really nice to, they actually seem to care about their work
    07-20-2009 10:16 PM
    Amen to the huge disparity between Apple's customer service and AT&T's. I got the royal runaround with my recent iPhone issue from AT&T...but when my mom called Apple, it was like, "no prob, you're still under warranty, we can send a new one to try..."

D'oh! Should've called Apple first, I guess.
    08-21-2009 12:32 AM
    Obsolutely right. miscrosofts tech support sucks, its like their still using the old landline phones with the 20 foot long cord...they didnt help me at all, where as i went to the apple store because 3.0 ruined my phone, but i came out of the store a couple hours later with a brand new shiny iphone. The clerks there are really nice to, they actually seem to care about their work
    What have you called Microsoft Support for to know they suck? Replacing my Xbox was no different then replacing my iPhone in my experience. I don't know anyone who calls Microsoft for Windows problems.
    08-21-2009 12:59 AM
    you are a lucky guy I guess.
    When I tried to get some help form the support service it was not that good.
    they even could not answer simple question about my account.
    08-21-2009 04:09 AM
    Customer service is ok, but you have to compromise as the iphones they provide are really the best
    08-21-2009 07:32 AM
    Let's see. Drove 45min to nearest Apple Store. Waited about an hour in a good sized line on opening day. Apple crew is giving out coffee and donuts outside door to mall.

Time arrives and they let everyone in. Walk to apple store in mall. Then they say "everyone who made an appointment, get in a line here." "Everyone else get in a line over here.." and so i went in that one.

Then they throw out a bombshell to my line. "Those of you who didn't make an appointment, we regret to inform you that we don't have any 32gb phones but may have 16gb..no promises"

Half the line leaves (me included) not having a clue you needed to make an appointment. What was the point in waiting in line for an hour? Really? You had to make an appointment for 7am on launch day???

I head to nearest AT&T store from there and there's no line. And got a 32gb iphone in less than 20min. Suffice it to say, i don't go to that Apple store.
    08-21-2009 11:59 AM
    Apple takes care of their customers. I have several GOOD experience stories with Apple. Never really a bad one. I only ever had 1, and that genius was only w/ Apple for about 2 mos before he was let go. lol

They're great. I always have tech geek convos with them when I call in to AppleCare support. They're so much more friendly and willing to help and TALK to their customers.

When a PC breaks, for one, you never even know who to call, and then all parties give you a run around and tell you the other one is responsible, and that's all if you can even get anyone who can speak proper english on the phone.
    08-21-2009 12:44 PM
    the best thing is how god damn easy it is to trick them. You could say "Yeah sometimes the earpiece just stops working during a call, but not all the time, and I tried restoring it multiple times but it just keeps cutting out randomly" and they'd have no choice but to give you a new one... Honestly.. Apple is so easy to fool.

And when you get your new one, you can sell it to buy the new iPhone coming out LOL.. that's what I do every year.. except there actually was stuff wrong with my 3G XD
    08-21-2009 02:53 PM
    I have to say that I have good customer service with Apple and really like their product so much so that my next computer will probably be a Mac.

I've been an AT&T customer for years however and while the level of service has come and gone, I've not experienced any of the nightmares that I know others have. Typically anytime I call, my questions/issues get resolved with no problem. One thing I do note is that I've lived in several different AT&T markets and I think the service level there differs as well.
    08-21-2009 09:17 PM
    Yeah, they replace my broken iPhone in 1 hour!
    08-22-2009 06:56 AM
    I'd much rather deal with Apple than any other cell phone carriers customer service. Huge difference.
    08-22-2009 11:12 AM
    Let's see. Drove 45min to nearest Apple Store. Waited about an hour in a good sized line on opening day. Apple crew is giving out coffee and donuts outside door to mall.

Time arrives and they let everyone in. Walk to apple store in mall. Then they say "everyone who made an appointment, get in a line here." "Everyone else get in a line over here.." and so i went in that one.

Then they throw out a bombshell to my line. "Those of you who didn't make an appointment, we regret to inform you that we don't have any 32gb phones but may have 16gb..no promises"

Half the line leaves (me included) not having a clue you needed to make an appointment. What was the point in waiting in line for an hour? Really? You had to make an appointment for 7am on launch day???

I head to nearest AT&T store from there and there's no line. And got a 32gb iphone in less than 20min. Suffice it to say, i don't go to that Apple store.
    To be honest you should have been prepared for this launch day. This is no Palm Pre here... It was no secret that there was a high probability that would happen. At least next time you will pre-order.
    08-22-2009 11:13 AM
    To be honest you should have been prepared for this launch day. This is no Palm Pre here... It was no secret that there was a high probability that would happen. At least next time you will pre-order.
    I prepared somewhat. I arrived at 6am...apple stores opened at 7. It was speculated that many had preordered and the lines wouldn't be crazy.

The line wasn't crazy and i had a pretty good spot with only about 15-20 ahead of me and by the time 7am arrived there was a lot more behind me.

But no where in all the hoopla beforehand did i read you had to make an appointment online before heading up there.

It worked out as i said but i had to go to an AT&T store where there were no lines...and much later at 9am. In the future, i'll probably pre-order.

But there's more to this story..read on if you're bored. The phone i got at AT&T..its speaker was shot. A week later i went to exchange it. That store didn't have any and wouldn't have for a week or two. The Apple Store though did have them. So i returned it for refund and went to Apple Store and purchased one.

My eligibility date for a standard upgrade was on July 19th. I purchased that at Apple store a few weeks before that but was charged 499. I read online that AT&T was extending upgrade pricing for those becoming eligible soon (like me). However AT&T told me they could not credit me since i bought it at Apple. Apple told me they couldn't do anything either but to return it and wait 72 hours.

72 hours? It took them til August 11th for AT&T to finally update the fact i had returned the iphone to Apple and reverse my contract. I had to go get receipts, take it to at&t, call them numerous times, etc, etc. Apparently the ability to update eligiblity upgrade dates is top secret clearance at AT&T..so secret noone can do anything.

Not really Apple's fault, but AT&T. Their CS sucks btw. Never had it that horrible with anyone.
    08-22-2009 12:59 PM
    I prepared somewhat. I arrived at 6am...apple stores opened at 7. It was speculated that many had preordered and the lines wouldn't be crazy.

The line wasn't crazy and i had a pretty good spot with only about 15-20 ahead of me and by the time 7am arrived there was a lot more behind me.

But no where in all the hoopla beforehand did i read you had to make an appointment online before heading up there.

It worked out as i said but i had to go to an AT&T store where there were no lines...and much later at 9am. In the future, i'll probably pre-order.

But there's more to this story..read on if you're bored. The phone i got at AT&T..its speaker was shot. A week later i went to exchange it. That store didn't have any and wouldn't have for a week or two. The Apple Store though did have them. So i returned it for refund and went to Apple Store and purchased one.

My eligibility date for a standard upgrade was on July 19th. I purchased that at Apple store a few weeks before that but was charged 499. I read online that AT&T was extending upgrade pricing for those becoming eligible soon (like me). However AT&T told me they could not credit me since i bought it at Apple. Apple told me they couldn't do anything either but to return it and wait 72 hours.

72 hours? It took them til August 11th for AT&T to finally update the fact i had returned the iphone to Apple and reverse my contract. I had to go get receipts, take it to at&t, call them numerous times, etc, etc. Apparently the ability to update eligiblity upgrade dates is top secret clearance at AT&T..so secret noone can do anything.

Not really Apple's fault, but AT&T. Their CS sucks btw. Never had it that horrible with anyone.
    Yeah, like I said, I like to avoid trying to get help from any carrier out there. Usually you walk away with a headache.
    08-22-2009 03:09 PM
    Actually this is by no means how Apple was supposed to do it. They were not supposed to turn people away who were there first.

If you pre-ordered or scheduled a pickup for your phone, fine, but you were still supposed to wait in line. All that meant was they put a post-it on a phone for you, reserving it I believe 72 hours. At least that's what Apple told me.

I was 1st in line at the Woodfield Apple store in Schaumburg, I made no appointment, I did no pre-order, I was the first person to walk out with an iPhone, several of the people behind me DID have one pre-ordered or set aside, all that meant was they did not have to worry about a sell-out, as their phone was already there.

Maybe if the store didn't get as many in, that would be the case. I've always went to Woodfield and as to my knowledge, they've never sold out. If you wait in line, no one's cutting you. Last year they gave out wristbands with a number so they made sure people got phones in the order they were supposed to.
    08-22-2009 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD