anyone else have this problem: losing function of main control button which changes the applications/functions? when i turn off the phone and reboot, i now only get the phone pad. the local mac dealer said i got it wet and it has rusted out the connection for the power recharger. i don't remember ever getting the phone wet/spilling anything/it just stopped working. of course, now the warranty says no coverage. rats. the phone is less than a year old. suggestions please. thanks.
    07-18-2009 04:00 PM
    I could see corrosion from salt air, but not rust. Most computer parts manufacturers use connectors that are copper, aluminum or gold plated. None of those metals rust.

Rust happens to iron, or metals that have iron content. Copper, aluminum and gold corrode. It is represented by a white haze on the metal (for copper, usually green).

This can be remedied by using a dielectric gel on the contacts. Think of it like vaseline. It keeps the contacts from corroding and allows doesn't interrupt the transfer of power/data.

Of course, the contacts need to be cleaned before applying the gel. You may be able to find a gel that does both. If memory serves me right, I believe they have that now (been a while since I had to buy any).
    07-19-2009 11:41 PM
    That sucks, i'll have to stop taking mine in the bathroom when i shower
    07-20-2009 03:44 PM
    That sucks, i'll have to stop taking mine in the bathroom when i shower
    I did that 5 days a week for a year with my 3G and I never had moisture problems. And my bathroom has no ventilation and gets VERY steamy
    07-20-2009 04:33 PM
    I use my iPod touch in the bathroom when showering, also. Still no problems.

Although, as I mentioned before, salty air can corrode metal faster than fresh water in a bathroom.
    07-20-2009 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD