Excessive Call Failed

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
While I will agree with everyone that Verizon has better coverage in NYC, I haven't had nearly as many dropped calls as some claim to have. The only place I sometimes have trouble getting coverage is in the elevator at my work which is located in Times Square.
Do you have 3G always turned on? Have you had any occurrences of "call failed" when trying to make an outgoing call?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. This happened to me too. I was in a call today and it just ended. This has been happening a lot recently since I got my 3GS

newyork_1

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Do you have 3G always turned on? Have you had any occurrences of "call failed" when trying to make an outgoing call?

Yeah I've never turned mine off. I got the 3G S a couple of days after release and I think I've had 2 calls fail. Both times were in my work building. It would happen when I attempted to call someone while in the elevator and when I got off it would still be trying to connect but ultimately fail.

Like I said I haven't experienced the bad service everyone else has but I spend most of my time in Midtown since I live and work in that area.

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't know what all the common factors are yet but it's always the case where some experience problems and some don't. I still think it's mainly AT&T.

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree, AT&Ts service is spotty at best. Here outside of Allentown the service is actually great, but as soon as I head either north to NYC or south to Philly the service gets progressively worse. One would think that as you head into a more populated metro area the coverage would be better.

BTW. Anyone from Philly notice on certain spots on the blue root, the data drops down to 1g? I only noticed it because pandora stopped working while I was stuck in traffic on my way home the other day.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I only get call failed on a consistent basis in my apt and my 3G can be iffy at times. Elevators and subways are no service areas. Other than that, I feel like I can get a connection fairly well here in NYC. If I'm outside, I get a connection.

bripat22

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
I have seen the same flaky 3G dropped call/call failed problem in my office. When I had my BB 8310 I loved it because I had a dropped call about 3 times a year, seriously. It was bulletproof. The first week with my 3GS I had 5 dropped calls. Not a good user experience. It almost went back to the store. I now have learned that while in my office, I set it back to EDGE, and I get decent connections, can make and receive calls, and get much better battery life as well!

See, all I had to do was learn to serve the iPhone and the ATT network, rather than make them serve me. Silly me, I thought I was the customer, and paying the bills......

I tend to agree with you. I use a BB Curve and it has RARELY dropped calls and this issue does give me pause about switching to the Iphone. It is still a phone.

acautivar5

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Pasadena, Ca here. I've had a bunch of dropped calls, but i'm sure living in an apartment and near tall buildings adds to the already poor coverage. We're all in it together. I'd call customer service to complain, but i'm sure i'll get a dropped call in the process. LOL.

i_nut

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
I was just going to ask if there were any Californians here w bad reception but ^^ kinda cleared that up! lol How bout in the San Joaquin Valley: Fresno, Stockton, Bakersfield? Any iphone users there w good reception?

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
amazing service except for certain areas and rural areas

It helped that Cingular/SBC began in Missouri.

If you look at the baby bell areas it's the Bell South and Southwestern Bell areas with the best AT&T cell coverage. Guess what, Verizon is/was the northeast

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm in So Cal, the northern LA County/Southern Ventura County area. I've only had 1 time where service was an issue, at the Hollywood Bowl with about 17,000 other people all with cellphones. People on other carriers were complaining as well, so I know it wasn't just AT&T being overwhelmed.

HabsFan

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
This is the main reason I'm keeping my Verizon flip phone. I use that to make/receive calls and my iPhone for data/email/apps/iPod/texting.

If Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I'll be paying my ETF with ATT that day and going to Verizon.

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
This is the main reason I'm keeping my Verizon flip phone. I use that to make/receive calls and my iPhone for data/email/apps/iPod/texting.

If Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I'll be paying my ETF with ATT that day and going to Verizon.
I think this is an iPhone problem. It thinks there's a 3G signal where there is none. When the iPhone 3G first came out there were also problems like that for data.

iPhoneDave

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
iphone call failed / 3g connectivity

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI and am expierencing multiple call failed messages per day. I went to ATT who informed me that they sell Apple, they don't service it so go to the Apple store. The Apple store points the finger at ATT saying 'go to ATT and get a new SIM card'. Apple also encouraged me to turn off Push for emails and to turn off 3G "unless you're a power user who really needs the speed". Turn off a feature I'm paying for? Are you kidding me? This leads me to believe that Apple is in colusion with ATT and that ATT may have oversold tower capacity. The new SIM card has changed nothing, I'm still getting call failed messages several times a day, and incomiing calls are going straight to voicemail.
I love the features of the iPhone, but ATT and Apple need to remember that first and foremost it is a phone and needs to function as such.

Hello, Verizon? Can I come back please?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I live in Nashville, TN and AT&T service is great. I've had maybe 5 dropped calls all year! The people I know who have Verizon in my area say their service is very good too. Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket are the carriers everybody around here complains about. I've had a really bad experience with Sprint in my area. Stuck with them and the dropped calls for 4 years before I finally left.

I wished people would seriously stop assuming the room....that is.....just because service in your area is great/poor doesn't mean it's like that everywhere else. Every city is different.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I think it's the phone because when ever you ask a Genius about the call failures, they tell you to reboot the phone. I've had ATT for 5 years now, I never had a call failures unless someone happen to be calling me while I'm calling them at the same time.

It wasn't until I got the iPhone 3G that I got call failures. More than ever. I still experience it with the 3GS.

Last edited:

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Damn I feel so bad for you guys. You can't get good reception anywhere, and by that I mean actual use, you may have high bars, but nothing moves to fast. I had to roam on AT&T my last few trips with my iPhone and DAMN they suck.

suitebliss

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I get a good reception. I even called AT&T and have been told that I live in a good area, but I constantly get these "call failed". It really has me contemplating the only phone that works best for me. My 3G is jailbroken so I don't think the Genius Bar will even look at it, does anyone have any advise for me?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox