Excessive Call Failed

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if it's the new OS or the AT&T network here in NYC but, since it was released, I've pretty much lost my ability to have a conversation on my 3G phone. When I reboot the device it lasts for a bit but then once again regresses to constant "call failed". Sometimes the call won't go through, sometimes it does then fails. Anyone else experiencing this?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I go to NYC a few times a year and at&t has always been iffy there, but the last time I was there in early May it was really bad. Even when I had 3G the speeds were slow. Also, a lot of time I would just go to no signal for no reason.

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I hear you but this is something altogether new. There might be full bars and yet 10 attempts in a row will lead to call failed. A 5 minute conversation with someone might entail 4 dropped calls.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I hear you but this is something altogether new. There might be full bars and yet 10 attempts in a row will lead to call failed. A 5 minute conversation with someone might entail 4 dropped calls.

Yes, that is far worse than anything I've experienced in NYC. You may want to try a restore from backup and see if that helps. If not try a restore as a new phone (you will lose all settings). If that doesn't work you may want to just schedule an appointment with Apple.

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes, that is far worse than anything I've experienced in NYC. You may want to try a restore from backup and see if that helps. If not try a restore as a new phone (you will lose all settings). If that doesn't work you may want to just schedule an appointment with Apple.
I did that. It's also happening on my wife's iPhone so I know it's not just mine.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
I find roaming on the AT&T network brutal. On the Rogers network I loose one or two calls a week and I am a heavy user. On my last NYC trip, I lost six calls in one day when I finally managed to connect. I feel sorry for AT&T users.

Coffeeman

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I have the same problem here in Baltimore. From everything that I've read, I'm convinced that AT&T has oversold their network. I've been told that if one is on a call, and another user either initiates a new call, or enters your serving cell while on a call, if that cell is at capacity, it will drop the oldest call, in favor of the latest call(s).

Apple diagnostic software (Genius Bar) will read this a a modem reset, but I'm convinced that AT&T is to blame. The dropped call problem is so bad in my office, (4 bars, -75db signal) that I make all outgoing calls using Skype & our WiFi connection.

It is really such a shame that Apple partnered with such a poor carrier (AT&T). Even though CDMA has its limitations, if Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I'll gladly pay AT&T's ETF to rid myself of their dismal service & coverage.

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
It is really such a shame that Apple partnered with such a poor carrier (AT&T). Even though CDMA has its limitations, if Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I'll gladly pay AT&T's ETF to rid myself of their dismal service & coverage.

Why is it that I'm seeing this same sentiment almost everywhere i see a review of the iPhone? You would think the people at AT&T would see this also and do something about it.. Now either its just that the only people posting reviews are people venting about the service, or AT&T is just that bad when compared to say Verizon in the actual calling department...

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have the same problem here in Baltimore. From everything that I've read, I'm convinced that AT&T has oversold their network. I've been told that if one is on a call, and another user either initiates a new call, or enters your serving cell while on a call, if that cell is at capacity, it will drop the oldest call, in favor of the latest call(s).

Apple diagnostic software (Genius Bar) will read this a a modem reset, but I'm convinced that AT&T is to blame. The dropped call problem is so bad in my office, (4 bars, -75db signal) that I make all outgoing calls using Skype & our WiFi connection.

I said the exact same thing to someone yesterday after the 4th dropped call of our conversation. I had Verizon before AT&T and never had a problem with signal or dropped calls.

Coffeeman

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Why is it that I'm seeing this same sentiment almost everywhere i see a review of the iPhone? You would think the people at AT&T would see this also and do something about it.. Now either its just that the only people posting reviews are people venting about the service, or AT&T is just that bad when compared to say Verizon in the actual calling department...

Everyone that I know who has an iPhone, hates AT&T's coverage. I just spoke with my son in NYC. He previously had the original 2g iPhone, and when the 3gs came out, I bought him one to replace his aging 2g.

He called me to complain that he had no coverage in his office, whereas, his 2g was fine. He told me that he switched 3g off on the new 3gs, and now has the same coverage that he had on his old 2g. He lamented that he was not at all pleased to be paying for 3g service with AT&T, and having to switch the 3gs to 2g, in order to use it.

It seems to me that when Cingular became AT&T, all they did was to change their name.

I can also only assume that the delayed roll out of MMS is due to AT&T's fear that MMS iPhone users will bring an already overtaxed network to its knees.

Unfortunately, I believe that the only thing that will make AT&T upgrade their network to perform to standards that their advertising currently claims, is a class action suit.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The thing is the iPhone has been huge! There is no telling what would happen in big cities on Verizons network if they got the iPhone. I think what's happening to at&t is the same thing with the highways and roads here in Miami. They are constantly under construction. As soon they make it bigger, they have to go back and make it bigger again.

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The thing is the iPhone has been huge! There is no telling what would happen in big cities on Verizons network if they got the iPhone. I think what's happening to at&t is the same thing with the highways and roads here in Miami. They are constantly under construction. As soon they make it bigger, they have to go back and make it bigger again.
Maybe, maybe not. I do know that AT&T service wasn't that great before this happened but now I'm having a lot of trouble using my iPhone as a phone yet AT&T is having no trouble billing me each month.

blane64

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I have seen the same flaky 3G dropped call/call failed problem in my office. When I had my BB 8310 I loved it because I had a dropped call about 3 times a year, seriously. It was bulletproof. The first week with my 3GS I had 5 dropped calls. Not a good user experience. It almost went back to the store. I now have learned that while in my office, I set it back to EDGE, and I get decent connections, can make and receive calls, and get much better battery life as well!

See, all I had to do was learn to serve the iPhone and the ATT network, rather than make them serve me. Silly me, I thought I was the customer, and paying the bills....

And please spare me the "Its not the iPhone, its the ATT network argument" ...I have had other 3G phones that worked fine in my office. I think the iPhone has somewhat weak reception in my experience....

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
What's weird is I think my at&t service is better now than a couple years ago when I was with Cingular (formerly at&t wireless) and at&t was in the process of merging. I think once they completed the merger everything has worked better.

What's great about Miami is it's a big city, but everything is really spread out. Also, there aren't as many tech savvy people here.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Philadelphia and I have been getting alot of dropped calls lately. I know if happes from time to time with every carrier but it's been a little too much.

Coffeeman

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like almost everyone with a 3G iPhone would jump ship from AT&T and run to Verizon if they released it....

In a minute, as well. Problem is, Verizon is totally married to "Get It Now", as well as having a habit of crippling bluetooth. I doubt that they (Verizon) would allow Apple to run the App store as it currently exists. Even though Verizon has the best network, they are total Nazis when it comes to control.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Everyone that I know who has an iPhone, hates AT&T's coverage. I just spoke with my son in NYC. He previously had the original 2g iPhone, and when the 3gs came out, I bought him one to replace his aging 2g.

He called me to complain that he had no coverage in his office, whereas, his 2g was fine. He told me that he switched 3g off on the new 3gs, and now has the same coverage that he had on his old 2g. He lamented that he was not at all pleased to be paying for 3g service with AT&T, and having to switch the 3gs to 2g, in order to use it.

It seems to me that when Cingular became AT&T, all they did was to change their name.

I can also only assume that the delayed roll out of MMS is due to AT&T's fear that MMS iPhone users will bring an already overtaxed network to its knees.

Unfortunately, I believe that the only thing that will make AT&T upgrade their network to perform to standards that their advertising currently claims, is a class action suit.

That is all that really happened. Cingular was jointly owned by AT&T (the landline company) and Bell South. AT&T in 2006 bought out Bell South and so Cingular became 100% their property and they rebranded it AT&T Wireless. The "old" AT&T Wireless wasn't actually any part of AT&T, they just used the name.

Anyway, my iPhone 3G always has excellent coverage at my home in Frederick, MD. I work in Washington DC and the only place I lose coverage there is on the metro and speeds are quite fast, haven't been to Baltimore in a while so can't say how it's coverage compares. If your having problems don't restore from a back up as that will just have the same problems since you basically just restored the phone to how it was probably only 1 day before. Or switch to EDGE for calls.

newyork_1

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
While I will agree with everyone that Verizon has better coverage in NYC, I haven't had nearly as many dropped calls as some claim to have. The only place I sometimes have trouble getting coverage is in the elevator at my work which is located in Times Square.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2