Probably a stupid question ... but I have a question about turning off data.

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I are headed out of the country for a vacation, and I am not buying an international data package. However, I am bringing my iPhone because we'll have WiFi in the hotel room. From the owner's manual, it would appear that all I have to do is put it on airplane mode and that will effectively turn off the data. Is that correct?

That's probably a dumb question, but I don't want to come back to a $1000 phone bill and find out I was wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mpafr012#AC

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site
My wife and I are headed out of the county for a vacation, and I am not buying an international data package. However, I am bringing my iPhone because we'll have WiFi in the hotel room. From the owner's manual, it would appear that all I have to do is put it on airplane mode and that will effectively turn off the data. Is that correct?

That's probably a dumb question, but I don't want to come back to a $1000 phone bill and find out I was wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Airplane mode shuts off ALL transmissions from the iPhone, cellular, data and WiFi.

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Airplane mode shuts off ALL transmissions from the iPhone, cellular, data and WiFi.

Ok, so how would I go about turning off the standard data transmissions, but turn on WiFi?

Edit: Actually, your statement does not appear to be correct. I just tried turning on Airplane mode. That brought up the little orange airplane icon. I then turned on WiFi, and it brought up the WiFi signal. I tested it by sending an IM through Beejive, and it worked.

Can anyone confirm this for me, as I really want to make sure to avoid international data roaming? Thanks.

Last edited:

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Underneath where it says Airplane mode, it says WiFi. Airplane mode on, WiFi on.

Ok, that's what I thought, but the poster above said Airplane mode disabled WiFi.

I tested it, and WiFi appears to work with Airplane mode on.

So, with Airplane mode on and WiFi on, I'll avoid all international data roaming?

Sorry for being so anal, but somebody in my office came back to a several hundred dollar phone bill, and I want to make sure to avoid that.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Its not anal, don't worry. If you have Skype that'd be handy when away to make calls! Thats what I do when me and the future wifey go to Cabo. You will be fine, enjoy your vacation. I suggest downloading a game or two to kill travel time!

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Its not anal, don't worry. If you have Skype that'd be handy when away to make calls! Thats what I do when me and the future wifey go to Cabo. You will be fine, enjoy your vacation. I suggest downloading a game or two to kill travel time!

Yup, loaded it up with games. Ready to go ......

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
you need to turn your data roaming off ...Settings>>general>>network. then you will not be using data while abroad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods