View Poll Results: Will you use MMS when its available?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for sure

98 79.67%
  • Nah, I am used to other methods

9 7.32%
  • Maybe, depends on the extra charges,etc

16 13.01%
    I think its been mentioned here few times already but I'll explain it to you as well
    When we talk about e-mailing apic/vid, we're talking about e-mail from your phone to them as MMS . they recieve it as fast as a normal MMS and it pops out as an MMS on any MMS enabled phone. THIS goes in the 'duh' category , my friend
    Actually I don't think those I'm referring to are talking about emailing to MMS. Those people I refer to even poo poo MMS as a worthless method of sending photos (which of course it's inferior in terms of quality, but that's not the point.) Typical Apple fanboy-ism playing off any feature lacking or missing in an Apple product as not being there because it's not necessary (like the inability to resize a window on Mac OS from any border.)
    In any case, I was more specifically referring to iPhone to iPhone correspondence.
    I do use MMS to email to MMS (and even SMS when necessary) whenever someone's using an MMS capable device. But not many people I want to share snap shots with have anything other than an iPhone.

Anyway, back to the 'duh' part of my comment. If I have MMS, then I don't have to do MMS via email (duh.) It's a no-brainier that I will use actual MMS instead of doing it via email.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07-15-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    07-15-2009 01:50 AM
    MMS should be mandatory on all mobile devices... I will use it soooooo much more than e-mailing (which is slow).
    07-15-2009 09:29 AM
    (which of course it's inferior in terms of quality, but that's not the point.)
    As I pointed out previously, this is not necessarily true with an iPhone, as it is with another mms capable phones. In my tests with 3.0 betas mms actually compressed the images less than emailing the photo. While I do believe apple will have refined this, I believe the quality of mms photos and emailed photos (if choosing the share option rather than actually copying the photo and pasting into an email) is going to be about the same.

For example selecting a photo in my photo album and using the "email photo" option gives me a attachment that is 182KB. Tapping and holding selecting copy, going into the mail app, pasting the image into the email gives me a file size of 1.6MB.

So while a higher rez image is possible, it's not the standard, and the same compression used for email will be enough to MMS and not exceeed the 300 or 600 KB limit imposed on mms.
    07-15-2009 09:33 AM
    As I pointed out previously, this is not necessarily true with an iPhone, as it is with another mms capable phones. In my tests with 3.0 betas mms actually compressed the images less than emailing the photo. While I do believe apple will have refined this, I believe the quality of mms photos and emailed photos (if choosing the share option rather than actually copying the photo and pasting into an email) is going to be about the same.

For example selecting a photo in my photo album and using the "email photo" option gives me a attachment that is 182KB. Tapping and holding selecting copy, going into the mail app, pasting the image into the email gives me a file size of 1.6MB.

So while a higher rez image is possible, it's not the standard, and the same compression used for email will be enough to MMS and not exceeed the 300 or 600 KB limit imposed on mms.
    While that's the case with the iPhone, and I'm certainly glad it is, in general MMS usually results in higher compression on most phones. That's why it's generally regarded as inferior.

I'm glad you did that investigative work. Thanks for that by the way, that's really good information. Now when people poo-poo MMS because of compression you (we) have that the data that says otherwise.
    Apple may have re-defined MMS. Rather I think they're pushing the limits of MMS whereas in the past other phones have played it safe.
    Data networks and the iPhone are a lot faster today than the networks and phones a few years ago. Not compressing the heck out of the images would have resulted in very long upload times had they not.

But anything with 3G and enough memory to handle 600 KB (in the case of AT&T) should not have to destroy a picture.
    07-15-2009 01:34 PM
    MMS is a necessity on a phone...most people don't check their email or even have access to email on their phones...
    07-15-2009 05:43 PM
    bgro
    please read what was posted few pages ago.
    People don't need to check their email. You CAN send a multimedia from your phone using you'd email where your friend recieve it on their phone as an MMS , NOT EMAIL.
    07-15-2009 06:43 PM
    bgro
    please read what was posted few pages ago.
    People don't need to check their email. You CAN send a multimedia from your phone using you'd email where your friend recieve it on their phone as an MMS , NOT EMAIL.
    We get it dude, you don't like MMS, now for most of us who don't have friends that all have expensive smartphones MMS is a necessity, you can keep using e-mail..

And since not every phone out there is e-mail capable, even if you do manage to send a MMS to someone using e-mail, if you're out, you'll have to wait until you get home and log onto your pc, then log onto the ridiculous "viewmymessage" site which rarely works, to see any pics sent to you. I haven't been able to see any pics sent to me in the past few weeks as AT&T's viewmymessage site gives me nothing but errors, and people have reported e-mailed MMS messages not going through at all. So obviously this fix is needed. End of discussion.
    Last edited by redbeard; 07-15-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    07-15-2009 09:29 PM
    Well I thought I was lucky and had my iPhone MMS turned on, but after a little while it stopped working again, more on this thread: http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...urned-off.html

But one of the MMS I got out to my email and I just want to confirm what Behshad said was correct. Actually the MMS sent higher than the emailed "share" pic.

MMS = 173KB / 786 x 1024
    Email Share = 93KB / 600 x 800
    07-15-2009 09:42 PM
    We get it dude, you don't like MMS, now for most of us who don't have friends that all have expensive smartphones MMS is a necessity, you can keep using e-mail..

And since not every phone out there is e-mail capable, even if you do manage to send a MMS to someone using e-mail, if you're out, you'll have to wait until you get home and log onto your pc, then log onto the ridiculous "viewmymessage" site which rarely works, to see any pics sent to you. I haven't been able to see any pics sent to me in the past few weeks as AT&T's viewmymessage site gives me nothing but errors, and people have reported e-mailed MMS messages not going through at all. So obviously this fix is needed. End of discussion.
    His point is that you can send and receive mms via email.

You can send to
    number@mms.att.net (or whatever carrier your friend is ons mms portal)

If your friend will use your email address (instead of your phone number) when composing their mms, they send an mms and you receive it as an email.

Neither is a great solution, IMO, since you have to know their carrier to send and you have to train your friends to send an email.

I had mms working in the 3.0 betas and it worked great, I cannot seem to train my friends to use my email address anymore.
    07-15-2009 09:43 PM
    But one of the MMS I got out to my email and I just want to confirm what Behshad said was correct. Actually the MMS sent higher than the emailed "share" pic.

MMS = 173KB / 786 x 1024
    Email Share = 93KB / 600 x 800
    or even shutter

It's disappointing to lose it after you've had it, isn't it. I thik where I screwed myself was instead of just using the SIM in my 3G with my 3GS, I activated the one that came with it. Now I cannot keep it working for more than a few minutes, I haven't even tried to get it working after the first couple of days with my 3GS.
    07-15-2009 09:46 PM
    Now I cannot keep it working for more than a few minutes, I haven't even tried to get it working after the first couple of days with my 3GS.
    You are using an carrier profile hack? This just started working all on it's own for me. My SMS died and rebooted and that fixed the SMS issue and then I decided to give MMS a try figuring at&t might have sent some update over the air to my phone that I needed a reboot for. Then it worked for like 15 mins or so and that was it.
    07-15-2009 09:53 PM
    You are using an carrier profile hack? This just started working all on it's own for me. My SMS died and rebooted and that fixed the SMS issue and then I decided to give MMS a try figuring at&t might have sent some update over the air to my phone that I needed a reboot for. Then it worked for like 15 mins or so and that was it.
    I was with the 3GS at first and like I said, worked for a very short period, then nothing. I have since updated to 3.1 beta 1 and downgraded to 3.0 to jailbreak, so my carrier file is completely stock and being on 3.0 don't even have the mms option or icon.
    07-15-2009 10:01 PM
    His point is that you can send and receive mms via email.

You can send to
    number@mms.att.net (or whatever carrier your friend is ons mms portal)
    Yea that's what I was talking about

It seems to work for some people and not for others, my friend who I'd send pics to most has an LG that for some reason will not openthe pics I send him, and he's on AT&T.

If your friend will use your email address (instead of your phone number) when composing their mms, they send an mms and you receive it as an email.

Neither is a great solution, IMO, since you have to know their carrier to send and you have to train your friends to send an email.
    Yea, I got a couple people to do that once, you have to understand how dumb my friends are..:o

I had mms working in the 3.0 betas and it worked great, I cannot seem to train my friends to use my email address anymore.
    Yea, I HATE having to tell everybody I know that I have an iphone and it can't do MMS..
    07-15-2009 10:28 PM
    I'll use it. Well, whenever AT&T gets around to allowing it! D@mn AT&T...
    07-15-2009 10:34 PM
    I can't wait for MMS to work! I have had so many times when I wanted to send a photo to someone and I can't do it unless I send them an email. Wish "late summer" would hurry up and get here!
    07-16-2009 01:59 AM
    MMS is not history. It is a much more reliable way to send/receive multimedia without research and delay. Sure, you can use email to send to an MMS supported phone, but remember that there is no way to avoid sending a bunch of useless email header information, even if the recipient actually gets the message.
    07-16-2009 04:03 AM
    Redbeard

I was just informing him of it. No need to get weird about it dude.

And you still don't get it. If YOU send it to them from your email YOU don't have to go to AT&Ts stupid web thingy.
    And when THEY want to send you a pic ,they reply to the MMS they got from you which should drop the pic in your email directly without having to go to the AT&T site.

Most people don't know this and they keep talking about smartphones , which is not needed for it. I was just trying to inform people about it , not forcing them not to use MMS.
    Besides, I give MMS another year or two before it's completely put behind right next to the record player and VHS tapes.
    07-16-2009 07:15 AM
    Unfortunately, AT&T is retarding the iPhone experience. No tethering, no MMS, no largest 3G network. The 7.2 3G network probably won't launch until the next iPhone comes out making the data speeds between the 3G and 3GS useless. I don't get how a carrier can be so crappy to its customers and Apple since Apple probably saved them from going out of business. Yes, Apple failed on not implementing MMS right away but they are going to do it better than anyone else just like Copy and Paste.

I pray that AT&T loses exclusivity on the iPhone with the next model (2010). I will be the first to break my contract and leave as long as the other carrier(s) don't retard the phone as well. Can you see an iPhone with VCast? Maybe Apple should just go buy a wireless company and do it the right way. Lord knows they have the cash.

GIVE ME MMS AND TETHERING AT&T! YOU SUCK BALLS!
    07-16-2009 08:51 AM
    I know so many people without smartphones. Sending them an "e-mail" would be useless, sending them an MMS resolves all issues.
    07-16-2009 10:23 AM
    I know so many people without smartphones. Sending them an "e-mail" would be useless, sending them an MMS resolves all issues.
    for the very last time! lol

It IS possible for YOU to send a picture from your Iphone USING the EMAIL, and your friend RECEIVING it as an MMS.
    Capice?

No smart phone needed at their end !
    07-16-2009 11:10 AM
    MMS is not history. It is a much more reliable way to send/receive multimedia without research and delay. Sure, you can use email to send to an MMS supported phone, but remember that there is no way to avoid sending a bunch of useless email header information, even if the recipient actually gets the message.
    Sorry to say...on AT&T's network MMS is not so reliable, while I have not had issues with it while beta testing 3.0....I can think of plenty of times when MMS would not be received with my prior phones.

for the very last time! lol

It IS possible for YOU to send a picture from your Iphone USING the EMAIL, and your friend RECEIVING it as an MMS.
    Capice?

No smart phone needed at their end !

Dude, they get it, it's just a PITA to do it that way when all that is required is for AT&T to get off their dead *** and flip the switch.
    07-16-2009 12:28 PM
    Honestly, I don't see the big deal, MMS is nice but I'm afraid what it'll do to ATT's already terrible network.
    07-16-2009 02:20 PM
    To those friends who you want to actually send pictures to, why don't you just create an MMS e-mail on your friend's contact info so that when you want to send a picture to their phone, you just select their MMS capable e-mail from your e-mail contacts. It seems a lot less expensive. Heck, that's what I'd do, and then I wouldn't have to waste any money sending a stupid sms/mms either! SMS and MMS are scams to rake in more money. I mean, what 25 cents to send an sms??? That's friggen ridiculous! SMS should be free and MMS should be like 5 cents at most!

I will only be using MMS is it's free, and since it will most likely be part of the current SMS system, which I don't use much anyway, I'll probably not use either.
    07-16-2009 04:32 PM
    Redbeard

I was just informing him of it. No need to get weird about it dude.
    I'm not, I just want AT&T to stop making us wait for something that they could have flipped the switch on on June 17th!

And you still don't get it. If YOU send it to them from your email YOU don't have to go to AT&Ts stupid web thingy.
    I know that. But you've seemingly ignored the reports that many people aren't able to even e-mail people pics that way anymore, nobody on AT&T I know of is getting anything I send them. I'll try it again tonight. And then I don't even know if they've recieved it, with MMS you know they've got it almost instantly.

And when THEY want to send you a pic ,they reply to the MMS they got from you which should drop the pic in your email directly without having to go to the AT&T site.
    I know that, but you're counting on people who have about 4 brain cells combined, that's why they are still using dumb phones that can't even e-mail, that they paid more for than the price of an iphone for. People are hard wired to send every pic through MMS, they forget and I get a viewmymessage link:o

Most people don't know this and they keep talking about smartphones , which is not needed for it. I was just trying to inform people about it , not forcing them not to use MMS.
    That's great, but if it doesn't work half the time what is the use?

Besides, I give MMS another year or two before it's completely put behind right next to the record player and VHS tapes.
    I don't think that's going to happen for many reasons.

MMS isn't itself a device that can become obsolete, it's a lot easier to do than e-mail (don't need to know the e-mail of the person who you are sending a pic to), and it's much quicker.

If I'm in a SMS convo with a friend, and I tell them I want to show them a pic I took, I have to exit the text app, go to my picture album, select the pics, then e-mail them, wait for the e-mail to send, then wait for my friend to close their text app and go into e-mail and find my message and pic, then go back into the text app to let me know they recieved it.

Seems like a lot of wasted time and a lot of trouble to do something that can be done in one quick and easy step without having to leave the SMS convo, and you have to do this even if both people have iphones. I don't know who decided MMS was some sort of outdated technology that will be replaced by e-mail, in fact, hasn't e-mail been around since 1965? 44 years now? And MMS only since 2002, only 7 years? So it looks to me that MMS is the future, as far as picture sending goes. MMS technology does one thing and it does it well, e-mail is good for e-mail, it works with pics, just not as easily or as fast as MMS
    Last edited by redbeard; 07-16-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    07-16-2009 11:15 PM
    Honestly, I don't see the big deal, MMS is nice but I'm afraid what it'll do to ATT's already terrible network.
    What's the difference between a picture sent through e-mail or a picture sent through MMS? It's all the sanme data, right? Or how about somebody streaming Pandora all day? Or constant Safari browsing? None of those things have brought down their network.
    07-16-2009 11:25 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD