View Poll Results: Will you use MMS when its available?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes for sure

98 79.67%
  • Nah, I am used to other methods

9 7.32%
  • Maybe, depends on the extra charges,etc

16 13.01%
    Second that.
    07-13-2009 07:11 PM
    LOL, guess I am just making this up.

Emailed Photo - 206KB
    MMS Chose existing photo - 418KB
    MMS Take Photo - 372KB

Those were the results I got in beta 2 or 3. They may have refined the compression a bit more in the final release, not sure, but that's what it was. I emailed and mms'd to my me.com email address.The only reason I even did it was because I would have some photos refuse to send when mms + take photo.
    07-13-2009 08:32 PM
    Considering MMS services will not cost you anything extra, I find it hard to believe I won't take advantage of this feature.

However, I find it FAR easier to just upload a pic to TwitPic or facebook and then ALL my friends can view it at their leasure without pushing some incredibly annoying picture to their phone. What do I need to send anyway? SOme picture of my dog? SO lame.
    07-13-2009 08:56 PM
    Again. We cannot verify. Don't be insulted. I don't just believe because somone said so... Duh.
    07-13-2009 09:20 PM
    Email is best! The picture quality is better.
    Again. We cannot verify. Don't be insulted. I don't just believe because somone said so... Duh.
    If you cannot verify, how can you make the first statement? You make unverifiable statements and then say mine was suspect???
    07-13-2009 09:56 PM
    Alright, lets not get into an argument over something so silly. I was just basing my statement on the idea that MMS is technology made for handling multimedia file on phones that were running on 2G (pre EDGE).

One thing I didn't think about is that maybe the iPhone MMS will be capable of sending higher res pictures to the at&t MMS server and since you MMS direct to your email it didn't get compressed more, but if you were sending to another non iPhone it might have to. It might even been compressed down at at&t server if coming back to another iPhone? Maybe the reason for the MMS delay is they are planning on sending higher res between iPhone to iPhone MMS which is a different setup than what they have for all the other phones?

Like I said before we will all know for sure soon enough, hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks.
    07-13-2009 10:07 PM
    I can wait for MMS, ive had it on other phones for years and I bearly ever used it. I maybe sent like 30 a year, ill just be happy if my battery gets better. Its maybe the worst/second worse battery ive ever had.
    07-13-2009 10:41 PM
    Also... MMS being sent can only have a max of 500kbs. Email doesn't have that limit. Not sure what happened in the test, but I know whether it's copied into email or using the "share" method, it should have more kbs by email than MMS.
    07-14-2009 12:19 AM
    You got me there I admit I was already making an assumption. It was not baseless, though. I have had phones that could do MMS and the pics were never very good. But emailed pics have Always been better. I am unable to verify that with the iPhone as of yet. But until then I will withold judgement and be a bit more careful as to what I post. Thank you for pointing that out!
    07-14-2009 12:22 AM
    I also did not say you post was suspect. I just agreed that it was hard to believe. No hard feelings, eh?
    07-14-2009 12:27 AM
    ATT says theres no additional fees.. does that mean no fees when they setup MMS on the iPhone or no fees when we send out MMS picture messages to friends and family?
    07-14-2009 01:34 AM
    I personally went with exclusively e-mailing as "texting". Most of the people I'm in contact with have smartphones with e-mail, so it makes things a whole lot easier. This is especially true with mobileme. With my wife also on my account with an iPhone, I can't fathom the thought of paying an extra $30 for unlimited text on top of the $120 I'm currently paying.
    07-14-2009 02:11 AM
    I personally went with exclusively e-mailing as "texting". Most of the people I'm in contact with have smartphones with e-mail, so it makes things a whole lot easier. This is especially true with mobileme. With my wife also on my account with an iPhone, I can't fathom the thought of paying an extra $30 for unlimited text on top of the $120 I'm currently paying.
    Hand me one of the oars, cause Im in the same boat

I think that AT&T will not charge a fee for setting up MMS but will charge some kind of a fee for MMS, just to &^$& with us .
    07-14-2009 10:10 AM
    AT&T is not charging us anything extra for MMS. They have already stated that it will not do so.
    07-14-2009 10:16 AM
    AT&T is not charging us anything extra for MMS. They have already stated that it will not do so.
    Link please?
    07-14-2009 10:19 AM
    Link please?
    I don't have a link but I do have experience in the matter. I've had MMS working on my iPhone 3G since March and I haven't been charged extra. It's included in the regular non-iPhone unlimited messaging package for the same price as the iPhone unlimited texting package - $20. This was officially changed by an AT&T rep and Tech Support so it is legit. From what I understand they consider MMS the same as a text message and charge it accordingly.
    Last edited by Watcher; 07-14-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    07-14-2009 10:28 AM
    I read somewhere that if you have the $20 text messaging bundle, then it will indeed be free.
    But I for one am not one to add $15/line extra for MMS. I currently have the $5/m per line for 200 texts and thats plenty fine for me,,, if I can use any of the 200 allowed to send MMS , sure .
    07-14-2009 10:29 AM
    If you have any text plan you can use it to send SMS or MMS. If you are on per text the MMS are a bit more I think.
    07-14-2009 10:30 AM
    If you have any text plan you can use it to send SMS or MMS. If you are on per text the MMS are a bit more I think.
    I hope youre right, but everyone has their own speculations:

What is yet to be determined is whether one MMS is equivalent to one SMS, or if there is a difference. For instance, they might decide that one MMS is equal to four SMSs. Lets hope not. I mean, come one, you already get unlimited data (internet) with your iPhone 3GS data plan, which allows for email, which is years ahead of both MMS and SMS. The only reason any of us use SMS or MMS is to accommodate for those who have crappy cell phones.
    07-14-2009 10:37 AM
    I hope youre right, but everyone has their own speculations
    If I'm speculating I let people know, but in this case I'm just stating facts

For one this is how it was for me on at&t on phones before I got the iPhone and two http://www.att.com/Common/merger/fil...omers_FAQs.pdf :
    Will AT&T offer MMS and tethering? Later this summer, as part of the 3.0 software, AT&T will make multimedia messaging (MMS) available at no extra cost to customers with a text messaging bundle. And, in the future, AT&T will offer tethering capability for iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G.
    07-14-2009 10:43 AM
    If I'm speculating I let people know, but in this case I'm just stating facts

For one this is how it was for me on at&t on phones before I got the iPhone and two http://www.att.com/Common/merger/fil...omers_FAQs.pdf :
    But the fact that you have MMS on yours before us, shows that youre either working for AT&T or that youre beta tester , in eitehr case, should it cost YOU anything.
    Im not doubting you one bit and hoping youre right. Its just that knowing AT&T and having been their customer for 7 years now, Ive learned one thing about them : nothing is free and if they have a way get your last time, they sure will
    07-14-2009 10:48 AM
    I do not nor have I ever had MMS on my iPhone. I really don't care about MMS that much to hack carrier files. I was saying that I had a text plan on my Moto SLVR before I got the iPhone and it counted as one message no matter if I sent an SMS or MMS. I also do not work for at&t, I work for myself developing websites mostly

Also, I've been with at&t since 1998...AT&T Wireless > Cingular Wireless (bellsouth) > at&t.

I'm just saying there isn't really any reason to speculate on whether they are going to charge more becuase they have come out publicly stating (see the PDF linked above), specifically on the iPhone, that it will not cost more. Plus on every other phone I've had with at&t the MMS was just included in the messaging plan.
    07-14-2009 11:33 AM
    AT&T used to have separate MMS and Text message packages. A few years ago they did away with separate packages and went with simply "messaging" packages which include both MMS and SMS. They no longer differentiate between the two as far as sales goes. This was in line with what the rest of the industry was doing (I think T-Mobile was the first in the US.) 'Messaging' packages are common and compatible between all phones and smart phones and they are all combination MMS/SMS.

So despite the natural suspicion that AT&T will find a way to nickel and dime everyone, lay that to rest. There's no reason they would backtrack on this.

This is one reason it's sort of messed up that we haven't had MMS all along. We have essentially been paying for it.
    07-14-2009 11:33 AM
    But the fact that you have MMS on yours before us, shows that youre either working for AT&T or that youre beta tester , in eitehr case, should it cost YOU anything.
    Im not doubting you one bit and hoping youre right. Its just that knowing AT&T and having been their customer for 7 years now, Ive learned one thing about them : nothing is free and if they have a way get your last time, they sure will
    At the moment, if you get mms working on an iPhone text plan, you will pay a per use mms charge. If you manage to get your plan switched to a regular plan, or have family messaging, these include mms and you will not be charged any more unless you go over your plan allotment. 1 mms = 1 message.
    07-14-2009 10:35 PM
    I have MMS working on my iPhone. I did the work around to install the AT&T carrier 5.0 profile and set up the APN and MMS settings. I have family messaging which is, from what I understand, the reason MMS isn't blocked on my lines.
    It does me little good because everyone I want to MMS has an iPhone and isn't willing to do this 'hack' to enable it.
    I think I'm going to restore my iPhone to remove this. The visual voicemail APN keeps getting reset and I have to keep fixing it. I'll just wait for the official release when I'll actually have people to use it with.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07-15-2009 at 01:38 AM.
    07-14-2009 10:48 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD