Was iPhone The First Smartphone To Have...?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
So this thread is basically just for asking questions about the iPhone.. I personally just wanted to know (since google doesn't show anything about it).. Was iPhone the first mobile phone to use a capacitive touch screen? I know that the LG Prada was the first all-touch phone released just a few months before the iPhone, but was the iPhone THE first to use a capacitive screen?

I also wanted to know, did the App Store bring the first time on any mobile smartphone platform that the user could access a database of all available applications on the device and buy/install over cellular and WiFi networks?

Was the iPhone the first mobile phone with a glass screen?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, do you know which phone was the first with a glass screen? I saw some after the iPhone like the LG Secret but I don't remember any before the iPhone.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
On device app stores have been on phones for a while. Apple's app store is the first one to be sponsored by the OS maker.

Handango, Sprint WM store, etc.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Lots of app stores, but none that allowed you to update products on the device. Apple's app store is truly revolutionary.

Not sure what the first one was, but the entire Treo line had resistive touch glass screens. It would be a great question to submit to Mickey Papillon. He could answer all those questions for you - just drop him an email, or leave a voice message on his show line and then listen to his next podcast.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Alli, most (and what I thought was all) resistive screens are plastic. Resistive touch is 2 sheets of plastic pressing together so I didn't know that was possible with glass

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Take a look at any Palm. They are very much glass. I can't think of a single actual WinPho that isn't glass. But again, your best bet is still to ask Mickey. I'd ask him for you, but then I'd have to take notes and get back to you - better to ask him yourself. I don't believe there's anyone out there who will deny he is the expert.

infenit101

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Lots of app stores, but none that allowed you to update products on the device. Apple's app store is truly revolutionary.

Not sure what the first one was, but the entire Treo line had resistive touch glass screens. It would be a great question to submit to Mickey Papillon. He could answer all those questions for you - just drop him an email, or leave a voice message on his show line and then listen to his next podcast.

Correction: It WAS revolutionary. Nothing about the current model or the Iphone platform is still revolutionary.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@infenit101
the way I look at it, while the iPhone is not revolutionary now, it's still the phone responsible for the revolution. Because of the iPhone, we have SO many great phones.

Before the iPhone the mobile industry was cold, now it's hot :p

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro