View Poll Results: Do you think MMS will be in 3.1?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 77.33%
  • No

17 22.67%
    Will AT&T support MMS in 3.0? What do you think?
    Last edited by Tramain; 07-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    07-10-2009 10:21 AM
    Yes, I think 3.1 will come out with the US MMS support (as it does in the beta). I assume 3.1 will come out in late August / early September.

The latest rumors I've read are pointing to MMS support in September. It will be interesting to see if Apple delays the release of 3.1 to correspond to ATT support or if they support it in the software even if we can use it yet. I just don't see them removing it from the beta again and then releasing a carrier update later.
    07-10-2009 11:19 AM
    i hope so, but realistically i don't think it will come out in 3.1. i'm guessing AT&T will push this to the back burner as long as they can. they seem to be having enough gripes about all the iPhone users eating up their network bandwidth already just using the browser. adding MMS will only make it worse.

can't wait though! lol
    07-10-2009 11:25 AM
    I think it has to come out with 3.1... like justin said, Apple isn't going to remove mms to put it back in off the beta.

Also, it should be ready soon, hopefully.
    07-10-2009 11:35 AM
    Maybe I should have been move clear I was talking about supporting MMS.
    07-10-2009 11:37 AM
    That's exactly what I was referring to... since it's in 3.1, it probably will not be removed and then re-added... it will probably be supported when released.
    07-10-2009 11:40 AM
    lol, i hope we get it soon either way!
    07-10-2009 11:49 AM
    Technically, MMS is already in 3.0. All it needs is an updated carrier file. I think that the carrier update might coincide with 3.1, but Apple wouldn't release a software update for the US only.
    07-10-2009 12:05 PM
    Well, if you want to get technical, AT&T has been supporting MMS on my iPhone 3G since the 3.0 beta testing phase. I spoke with a very nice AT&T rep and explained exactly what I was doing at the time, no deception and all, and she was so friendly and eager to get my MMS working on my iPhone she even called back to check on me twice!
    07-10-2009 01:28 PM
    I hope it's in 3.1, any devs have any timeline idea as to when they'll drop 3.1 finally?
    07-10-2009 02:25 PM
    I hope it's in 3.1, any devs have any timeline idea as to when they'll drop 3.1 finally?
    No one knows for sure, but based on history it will probably be in late August / early September.
    07-10-2009 03:31 PM
    No one knows for sure, but based on history it will probably be in late August / early September.
    Or earlier...
    07-10-2009 03:38 PM
    I voted no simply because I have lost a lot of faith in AT&T .. lol
    07-10-2009 04:05 PM
    Or earlier...
    That's true, 3.0 did come out about a month before 2.0 came out last year, so based on the same time between 2.0 and 2.1, it could be out in like 4 weeks.

I voted no simply because I have lost a lot of faith in AT&T .. lol
    You and about 20 million other people.
    07-10-2009 04:25 PM
    Sometimes I love living in Canada...
    07-10-2009 05:14 PM
    MMS has been in the basic packaging for a long time. AT&T optted-out! iphone users eat up on average 400mb a month per user and seeing how AT&T is the only U.S carrier for iPhone you can imagine the fall out if they pushed in MMS and tethering. AT&T doesn't have the BW for it hence the network upgrades. MMS will more than likely come in Sept but AT&T will likely put a cap or limit to the amount since they are not going to charge a separate fee for MMS.
    08-02-2009 06:26 AM
    Well, with so many Twitter clients and others like IM+ supporting this type of stuff already, I don't see the big deal. If it's there, I'll use it, but otherwise I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.
    08-02-2009 06:36 AM
    MMS has been in the basic packaging for a long time. AT&T optted-out! iphone users eat up on average 400mb a month per user and seeing how AT&T is the only U.S carrier for iPhone you can imagine the fall out if they pushed in MMS and tethering. AT&T doesn't have the BW for it hence the network upgrades. MMS will more than likely come in Sept but AT&T will likely put a cap or limit to the amount since they are not going to charge a separate fee for MMS.
    It will be part of the standard messaging plan, AT&T already announced that.
    08-02-2009 02:04 PM
    I hope it's in 3.1. It's been 2 months since the unveiling of the 3Gs & 3.0 & AT&T promised by the summer. We currently have about 3 wks. left summer. I just hope MMS is available in 3.1 as promised before summer's end. I am tired of people laughing at me (Verizon Customers) for not being able to use MMS. I have to e-mail the picture and look like an ***** with my awesome 3Gs.
    08-03-2009 12:35 AM
    I'd really like to have MMS purely for the fact that some friends and family can only send pictures via MMS. I cannot stand getting a stupid ATT link to the picture and 90% of the time it does not work properly.

If AT&T wants to keep extending its exclusivity with Apple it better get its networks upgraded to handle the bandwidth. I Hope AT&T pushes LTE technology ahead of schedule. Eventually Verizon, Sprint, AT&T will all be running on the same type of technology on their networks. Which is great I think CDMA is a dinosaur and it sucks at penetrating its signal into buildings like GSM does better. Plus Europe and most other places outside the US use GSM technology.
    Last edited by UTVOL06; 08-03-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    08-03-2009 08:01 AM
    I tend to think that Apple planns on pushing the new carrier file with 3.1 no matter what when it comes out of beta; meaning that they're telling AT&T that they need to have this ready by then. Though I don't think that necessarily means that they'll come together. I think there's the potential for it to come out ahead of time; or if AT&T is REALLY slacking; after. The carrier file can be pushed via iTunes even without a full OS update; so I'm thinking (or more hoping) that they could release MMS before 3.1 comes out.
    I think Apple is keeping the updated carrier file in the beta so that developers can test against the feature; even if its not actually on; its at least enabled. and since it hasn't been removed yet I'm guessing that Apple plans on this feature coming live soon.
    08-03-2009 09:34 AM
    I thought it was an AT&T thing and they needed to do it from the account side not from the phone side.
    08-03-2009 12:59 PM
    We will definitely see this feature live in September
    08-03-2009 01:08 PM
    After some conversations with ATT in my area, the guys are thinking it will be out by the end of September. The support for MMS has been there since 3.0, it just the carriers that need to update...That's what i've heard anyway.
    08-03-2009 02:02 PM
    yes, it is a carrier thing. The carrier needs to turn MMS on your account, but in order for the iPhone to know that your carrier supports MMS there is updated carrier file that needs to be pushed via iTunes. It is technically a seperate file/push from the OS updates, but they're all delivered via iTunes.
    08-04-2009 09:33 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD