Votes: 17 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I tend to think that Apple planns on pushing the new carrier file with 3.1 no matter what when it comes out of beta; meaning that they're telling AT&T that they need to have this ready by then. Though I don't think that necessarily means that they'll come together. I think there's the potential for it to come out ahead of time; or if AT&T is REALLY slacking; after. The carrier file can be pushed via iTunes even without a full OS update; so I'm thinking (or more hoping) that they could release MMS before 3.1 comes out.
I think Apple is keeping the updated carrier file in the beta so that developers can test against the feature; even if its not actually on; its at least enabled. and since it hasn't been removed yet I'm guessing that Apple plans on this feature coming live soon.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
After some conversations with ATT in my area, the guys are thinking it will be out by the end of September. The support for MMS has been there since 3.0, it just the carriers that need to update...That's what i've heard anyway.

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
yes, it is a carrier thing. The carrier needs to turn MMS on your account, but in order for the iPhone to know that your carrier supports MMS there is updated carrier file that needs to be pushed via iTunes. It is technically a seperate file/push from the OS updates, but they're all delivered via iTunes.

djbbox

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
well btown11 mms was in the 3.0 beta but as a request from att was pulled or gryed out of the phone and no the APN profiles wont give you mms, try it it wont work, tethering will work with the profile but att might charge you something extra for using it and it wont be cheap so is not worth it yet

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I think it has to come out with 3.1... like justin said, Apple isn't going to remove mms to put it back in off the beta.

Also, it should be ready soon, hopefully.

Of course it is in 3.1. It is in 3.0. It is being used by people all over the world. That does not mean anything to AT&T customers. It is not an Apple software problem, it is an AT&T profile problem. It is an AT&T exclusivity problem. I do not even care about MMS but I still think that AT&T is a "steaming heap of failure." I wish people would stop reminding me how much I hate AT&T.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I really don't think AT&T will allow that kind of practice to continue, there is to much heat on them already.
Have you seen the Curtis/Roddick ads promoting air-cards for PCs? AT&T does not care what we think. They will not care until their lock runs out. I think that AT&T will not shape up until they have to compete with Verizon 4G for iPhone customers. Maybe not then.

This thread is about hope.

Last edited:

baseballkyle

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I think it has to come out with 3.1... like justin said, Apple isn't going to remove mms to put it back in off the beta.

Also, it should be ready soon, hopefully.
I think it will be there for sure.

Network backhaul bump is coming + OS 3.1 + September release = MMS goes live! :D :)

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I think it is more "we will have MMS by the time 3.1 is released" to me. The two are independent. I say we have both by the end of September.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
If not 3.1 then it will have to be 3.1.1 or something similar.
I simply do not understand how MMS got conflated with 3.1. As promised by Apple, MMS was in 3.0. It has not and will not be taken out. It is being used by iPhone users all over the world.

This is a carrier issue. If your carrier is a "steaming pile of failure," the carrier has told Apple not to put this capability in the carrier profile (but it is still in the OS.) The carrier could change its mind at any time. There is no indication that the carrier even has the capacity to change its policy as early as 2009. Apple can update the profile at any time. They are not tied to an OS release in any way.

This all about AT&T, not 3.1 or Apple.

I think that we all want 3.1 on Apple's schedule, not that of the "steaming pile of failure." Please do not conflate MMS/AT&T.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I simply do not understand how MMS got conflated with 3.1. As promised by Apple, MMS was in 3.0. It has not and will not be taken out. It is being used by iPhone users all over the world.

This is a carrier issue. If your carrier is a "steaming pile of failure," the carrier has told Apple not to put this capability in the carrier profile (but it is still in the OS.) The carrier could change its mind at any time. There is no indication that the carrier even has the capacity to change its policy as early as 2009. Apple can update the profile at any time. They are not tied to an OS release in any way.

This all about AT&T, not 3.1 or Apple.

I think that we all want 3.1 on Apple's schedule, not that of the "steaming pile of failure." Please do not conflate MMS/AT&T.

Too bad you're incorrect... it's Apple's fault for the mess. People can say all they want about AT&T, but no one understands the reason AT&T is behind is due to Apple dropping the ball.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Too bad you're incorrect... it's Apple's fault for the mess. People can say all they want about AT&T, but no one understands the reason AT&T is behind is due to Apple dropping the ball.

If you say so, it must be true. I certainly agree that "no one understands." One can fault both Apple and the "steaming pile of failure" for that. Would you like to enlighten the rest of us? Is it some kind of an AT&T secret?

Do you also assert that Apple can unilaterally make MMS happen, that they alone are responsible for it being available on all carriers except AT&T? It seems clear that one cannot rebut the New York Times without facts that are not already in evidence? Do you assert that MMS is somehow bound to 3.1, that we cannot have one without the other? Since that was the point of my post, perhaps you can address it while you are defending the "steaming pile."

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
How is it not AT&Ts fault?

Its not like Apple kept MMS a secret from the carriers.

How is it that every other carrier was prepared but not AT&T?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Give me a seconds to quote another blog I posted at. Yes, it's primarily Apple's fault.

I'm actually getting tired of seeing everyone wanting to bash AT&T. The only reason AT&T isn't pointing fingers is because they are puppets and everyone including the CEO of wireless (supposedly) take an iPhone course each year stating nothing can be said outside of Apple officially saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro