Votes: 17 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Yes, I think 3.1 will come out with the US MMS support (as it does in the beta). I assume 3.1 will come out in late August / early September.

The latest rumors I've read are pointing to MMS support in September. It will be interesting to see if Apple delays the release of 3.1 to correspond to ATT support or if they support it in the software even if we can use it yet. I just don't see them removing it from the beta again and then releasing a carrier update later.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i hope so, but realistically i don't think it will come out in 3.1. i'm guessing AT&T will push this to the back burner as long as they can. they seem to be having enough gripes about all the iPhone users eating up their network bandwidth already just using the browser. adding MMS will only make it worse.

can't wait though! lol

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I think it has to come out with 3.1... like justin said, Apple isn't going to remove mms to put it back in off the beta.

Also, it should be ready soon, hopefully.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
That's exactly what I was referring to... since it's in 3.1, it probably will not be removed and then re-added... it will probably be supported when released.

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Technically, MMS is already in 3.0. All it needs is an updated carrier file. I think that the carrier update might coincide with 3.1, but Apple wouldn't release a software update for the US only.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
Well, if you want to get technical, AT&T has been supporting MMS on my iPhone 3G since the 3.0 beta testing phase. I spoke with a very nice AT&T rep and explained exactly what I was doing at the time, no deception and all, and she was so friendly and eager to get my MMS working on my iPhone she even called back to check on me twice! :D

silver#IM

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Mms

MMS has been in the basic packaging for a long time. AT&T optted-out! iphone users eat up on average 400mb a month per user and seeing how AT&T is the only U.S carrier for iPhone you can imagine the fall out if they pushed in MMS and tethering. AT&T doesn't have the BW for it hence the network upgrades. MMS will more than likely come in Sept but AT&T will likely put a cap or limit to the amount since they are not going to charge a separate fee for MMS.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, with so many Twitter clients and others like IM+ supporting this type of stuff already, I don't see the big deal. If it's there, I'll use it, but otherwise I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
MMS has been in the basic packaging for a long time. AT&T optted-out! iphone users eat up on average 400mb a month per user and seeing how AT&T is the only U.S carrier for iPhone you can imagine the fall out if they pushed in MMS and tethering. AT&T doesn't have the BW for it hence the network upgrades. MMS will more than likely come in Sept but AT&T will likely put a cap or limit to the amount since they are not going to charge a separate fee for MMS.

It will be part of the standard messaging plan, AT&T already announced that.

supermanfos

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I hope it's in 3.1. It's been 2 months since the unveiling of the 3Gs & 3.0 & AT&T promised by the summer. We currently have about 3 wks. left summer. I just hope MMS is available in 3.1 as promised before summer's end. I am tired of people laughing at me (Verizon Customers) for not being able to use MMS. I have to e-mail the picture and look like an idiot with my awesome 3Gs.

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I'd really like to have MMS purely for the fact that some friends and family can only send pictures via MMS. I cannot stand getting a stupid ATT link to the picture and 90% of the time it does not work properly.

If AT&T wants to keep extending its exclusivity with Apple it better get its networks upgraded to handle the bandwidth. I Hope AT&T pushes LTE technology ahead of schedule. Eventually Verizon, Sprint, AT&T will all be running on the same type of technology on their networks. Which is great I think CDMA is a dinosaur and it sucks at penetrating its signal into buildings like GSM does better. Plus Europe and most other places outside the US use GSM technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2