Can't get photos off of iphone

jlasserre

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I have over a 1000 shots on my iphone: impressive. The problem is, is that I can't get the dang things off.

I open my iphone like a typical drive, see the shots in thumbnail, select them all and hit delete; it works for a while then times out with nothing happening, shots are still there and I continue to add to it. When I treat it like a camera, I'm on a pc, I also click "erase photos from device", they still remain. I'm really at a loss.

Josh

rfg17

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
I had a problem like this after I upgraded to 3.0. I had hundreds of shots on my Camera Roll, but the thumbnails were corrupted. I ended up uploading all the shots to my PC and then blowing away the Camera Roll directory (/var/mobile/Media/DCIM) from a shell opened from SSH (I'm on a jailbroken phone, but I don't believe that had anything to do with why the Camera Roll got corrupted). There is a separate directory for Photo albums that are sync'ed from Itunes (/var/mobile/Media/photos), which contains thumbnails and a database. I believe that's what got corrupted in the upgrade process. I blew that away as well and just resynced my Photo albums from itunes.

On an unJB iphone, I would do a restore from Itunes of a known correct backup.

Last edited:

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Are they in your camera roll or did you save them to your iPhone through iTunes?

If in your camera roll, just delete each photo from your phone.

If you sync'd them through iTunes, uncheck them in iTunes.

dragonsgoalie

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
Make sure they aren't being synced in iTunes and getting put BACK on your phone when you sync. If you are using Windows you can plug your phone in, and when the windows action window pops up, you can use the picture manager to remove them and put them into a folder, or simply click on open folder to view files (Like you would with a jump drive) then select all and delete. Be ready to wait, 1000 pictures could take a while!