Anyone believe there will be more than one iPhone next year?

How many models will be introduced next year?

• Total voters

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I, for some unknown reason believe there will be more than one model next year. Anyone else with me? Poll up!

P.S. I'm not referring to capacity (16gb, 32gb, 64gb).

I'm not sure how many, but more than one. I'm guessing maybe two. It may not even all be in the same time frame either, but definitely within the year.

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
AT&T locked/subsidized version, and another unlocked version perhaps? Maybe even a CDMA version??

However, I think it's more likely we'll see a hardware re-design (bigger screen, better processor, better battery, etc.), OS 4.0, and a re-up with AT&T exclusivity for 3 more years. 32, 64 capacity..

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I say 2 models, but only one will be new. Apple will probably keep the 3GS around and drop it's price down to $100 like the 3G now. Then introduce a new one, "super iPhone".

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I put 1, but not counting keeping last years model around like they did this year.

EDIT: Not sure this was clear, I think 1 new model, but probably keep the 16GB 3GS around like they did with the 3G.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
1 as well, but it may be 2 if they keep the 3GS around after the next generation hits. As far as Verizon? Keep dreaming people - not going to happen. After the amount of sales AT&T has had for the 3GS they will do anything to keep Apple right where they are. Verizon is not happening. But that's another thread...

HHI944

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
My money is on them keeping the 3GS at a discounted rate and introducing the new one, much like they did this year. The buzz I've heard is that the new one is going to have a dual core processor.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
1 as well, but it may be 2 if they keep the 3GS around after the next generation hits. As far as Verizon? Keep dreaming people - not going to happen. After the amount of sales AT&T has had for the 3GS they will do anything to keep Apple right where they are. Verizon is not happening. But that's another thread...

Yeah, I agree. I think Verizon will get an iPhone when they support the same technology as the rest of the world. Just not worth it for Apple to do R&D and different production from 1 company when they are selling the same model iPhone to like 20+ something other carriers all over the world.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's going to be one new model, and there will NOT be a CDMA iPhone EVER. When 4G rolls around and everyone is using the same technology, Verizon and Sprint will get the iPhone, unless AT&T gets apple into another 3 years of exclusivity.. But they'd have to pay apple a LOT of money at this point.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd keep expectations pretty modest. I still find myself thinking software.

4G chip? Not time yet. You can bet apple has this thought out beyond the next few years. We'll still be waiting for enhanced 3G to hit all areas that the current chip has..7.2

There's always a big draw or theme. Video was it this year hardware wise although IMO, copy n paste was the software's side big thing. Next summer, i expect some form of multitasking. Could unobtrusive notifications be a dark horse? Whatever, just let me have email open and let the iphone bang me over the head to know i have it. Apple needed the 3GS's processor out now before implementing it (because they need to support the 3G iphone still). Old 3G doesn't have the chops by next summer or a need to support. Still is software related.

Synergy. An integrated messaging app? Apple could have a field day selling this. Again software.

HD recording (with option for SD). So hardware then.

OLED HD screen to play it on. Why? Competitors caught up or surpassed. We want eye candy. We want those colors popping.

64gb bump.

Jury still out if they'll tweak the design. I know some were disappointed that the 3GS looked the same. Not a bad thing IMO, but I'm not sure they want to go that route again and think they'll get away with it.

So there you have it. HD for hardware, multitasking for software. Possible hardware redesign. Pretty hard to resist if you're carrying even the 3GS.

Last edited:

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Maybe even 3 or 4 if somehow a CDMA version comes out.

I personally dont think a CDMA version would ever come out; but you never know.

I think only 1 will come out, just like all the previous years. I think when Apple has sensed that theyre beginning to milk consumers, there will be several iPhones introduced in one year; at one launch date.

Fender Doc

Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
I agree with btown11. I think there is going to be a hardware re-design (bigger screen, better processor, better battery, bigger capacity).

The think the current design is great, but unless there is a change in the next version I see less customers upgrading.

I think the processor, battery, and capacity improvements are evolutionary by nature.

I speculate the screen will be enlarged to a 16:9 ratio.

Possibly a low resolution front facing video camera.

Current camera to a 5MP resolution.

Maybe (a very maybe) mini-USB connector.

Definitely 802.11N

I do not think we will every see a CDMA iPhone model. Verizon is going to go with LTE (next-generation of GSM) for their 4G upgrade in the next year or two. In other words, Verizon will have to change all their towers to LTE. Most cell companies, even though they are competitors, still have roaming agreements with each other. I know Verizon, Sprint, and a local CDMA provider have roaming agreements with each other. If this happens, AT & T?s coverage area will significantly improve because they are also going to upgrade to LTE in the upcoming years. Sprint will be left out in the cold.

All these speculative comments are exactly that ? I am just guessing here. Please do not flame me for any of these. I would like to here what you guys think.

Thanks,
Russell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh