3G s-Dead Screen during Phone Use

baumach

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,
I have had the new 3Gs for about a week and when I make or receive a call (when the line is connected or I just start talking to someone) my screen goes black and locks up completely until the phone call has ended. Cant use the touchpad, put on hold, or answer another call. I have tried a couple of time to completely restore the phone and end up with the same problem.

My other Iphone 2g didnt do this and neither does my wifes new 3Gs, is there a setting that I need or is this a phone defect.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Sounds to me like you have a defective unit? Have you restored the phone to see if that resolves the issue?

If it doesn't, go swap it out.

dabs191

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Dead Screen

Hi,
I had posted a similar problem yesterday, I think either it has someting to do with unlocking of the phone (my phone is also one month old) or in my case the phone fell from my hand once, it could be because of that.

I hv found a way to get the screen back, try to shake the phone a little bit during the call (taking the phone slightly away from the ear and then bringing it back also does the trick), it solves the problem quite a few times, hv you noticed that if u r on speaker phone this problem will not happen.

Give me ur observations n will try to find a solution.

Dinesh

baumach

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I tried the shaking method and it didnt help. I havent ever dropped it, but noticed the dead screen while talking on the phone the first time I used it. I did try the speaker phone and the screen stays active while on speaker. bt as soon as i switched it off speaker and held it up to my ear and then tilted it away from my ear the screen went dead.

I have searched several forums and havent fround too much on this.

I have contacted tech support and have scheduled a call for a tech to call me back.
After I talk to them I will post their response.
Regards,
Mark

baumach

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Update...found the problem, I had my iphone 3Gs in my 2G leather case. Took it out and it works fine. Weird thing how the case can affect the screen, but i tested it several times without the case and it works fine. Guess I need to get a new case.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
Actually it doesn't seem that weird. Maybe the leather case was interfering with the proximity sensor, the little gadget that turns off your screen when you hold the phone up to your ear.

You have noticed that the screen normally goes black when you hold the iPhone to your ear, haven't you?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed that with the 3G once. I had a case on it that covered the sensor (weird thing was it was supposedly 3G compatible), but it covered the sensor and I thought something was wrong with the phone, but I took it out of the case to do a restore and my mom called me and I noticed the phone was working just fine. Put the case on, display dead, took it off, display fine. The top of the case I had was covering the sensor that reactivated the screen when you took it off your ear. :p