Hi!
    I am coming to U.S. (Houston to be more precise). I am from saudi arabia, i was thinking that if i can buy an iphone from U.S. and use it in my country, however with so many things like contracts, jail breaks and all that i am confused.
    Could any one in a layman's approach answer my questions
    1. where to get an iphone 3GS (Apple store or some where else)
    2. Will it work in my country (Apple has already launched iphone here but it is priced at approx. $1000, and i cannot afford that however as i am coming to the states i could afford it at $199 or even till $350).
    3. can i get an unlocked one?
    4. Can i unlock the AT&T one, i mean can i buy that.
    So please guys, i need to know, i am aware of my zero understanding about the process, even google is of no help in this regard.

Appreciate your efforts in advance!

Regards
    Ridhwan.
    07-03-2009 03:54 PM
    You could buy one here. For practical purposes, it will wind up costing you:

1) $299 (assuming you want the 32GB 3GS)
    2) around $125 for your first month of AT&T service
    3) $200 for your early termination fee (unless you want to keep your AT&T contract back in SA.)
    4) Possibly another month fee....

Still cheaper than $1,000.

Next you'll need to unlock it so that you can use it with your local carrier.
    07-03-2009 05:44 PM
    Thanks a lot ALLI for replying.
    I have a few more questions. To buy a phone from AT&T i will need a social security number (saw at the apple website) which i do not have, and i know nobody that can help me. So what would you suggest i do. Is there any other alternatives. your efforts are appreciated
    07-04-2009 06:35 AM
    You could always try ebay.
    07-04-2009 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD