1. creator55's Avatar
    Let's start with some backstory first.

    I bought the original iPhone right when it dropped price to $400. It was my first smartphone. I had it for about a year and even though I loved it I just couldn't use it because it didn't have features I needed. These features were video recording, push, voice recorder, and document editing. I absolutely loved the phone though and am a huge Apple fan.

    So after a year with the iPhone I decided to go with the Blackberry Bold. I got the Bold when it launched and I really like it.

    The problem is I got the Bold in November and now in June of the next year Apple releases the 3GS and 3.0. Both basically fulfill my needs...

    The Blackberry is a great device... but like Nokias it's OS is way outdated now. With the iPhone having all the features I need I find myself at a crossroads.

    Do I bite the bullet and just buy the 3GS at full price or do I wait it out till my contract runs out (Aug 2010) to get the new iPhone next summer... if there is one.
    07-03-2009 03:29 AM
  2. Mag's Avatar
    I had a similair situation and just bought the iPhone 3GS. From my perspective it's perfect, I mean, next years edition might offer better cpu, gpu, resolution, whatever, but I dont care, this one has everything I need and is a lot faster than any smartphone I had before.
    07-03-2009 04:13 AM
  3. Watcher's Avatar
    Have patience and wait. Don't unnecessarily waste your money. A year won't hurt you.
    07-03-2009 08:26 AM
  4. Alli's Avatar
    Totally depends on your wallet. If you can handle the payment, get the 3GS.
    07-03-2009 08:31 AM
  5. Brickman's Avatar
    Just my 2 cents. I say wait. If the Bold is doing it for you. Unless you have a couple of hundred bucks you don't need. I am almost in the same boat. I bought my 3G in December and 6 months later they come out with 3GS. Oh Well. I am more tha good with 3.0.

    If the Bold is doing it for you why not wait and see if they have something even better next summer?
    07-03-2009 08:36 AM
  6. bubbatex's Avatar
    Totally depends on your wallet. If you can handle the payment, get the 3GS.
    What she said.....life is short, live it!
    07-03-2009 09:08 AM
  7. Jellotime91's Avatar
    You should wait.
    Next year's is going to be revolutionary! If you buy it now ATT will probably make you eligible for the new one next year anyway, but I personally think you should wait.

    This iPhone was a minor improvement to the iPhone 3G.. You should really wait. The next one is probably going to be a lot better, and I'm betting it is going to have more blackberry-like hardware features, like an indicator light. And it will probably have full multitasking.
    07-03-2009 09:45 AM
  8. li2327's Avatar
    Sell your bold and add that toward the purchase of the iPhone. Also check craigslist. There might
    be someone looking trade. Even if you have to add a couple of dollars to it.
    07-03-2009 09:49 AM
  9. chobbs1's Avatar
    I disagree, this was nit a minor update. This update is huge. The only reason people think it's minor is because of form factor. It looks the same so it must be the same. Well I have used both and the 3GS is a huge upgrade IMHO

    That being said, it mat be a good idea to wait till next year as there is a big possibilty that this will also be another huge upgrade.

    Stop flip flopping back and forth, it is costing you a lot of money. If you were able to have the 1st iPhone for a year then you could have held out a little longer. So just be patient and wait. The current phone didn't even have MMs enabled yet.
    07-03-2009 10:55 AM
  10. robbiebisme's Avatar
    i agree the iphone and then iphone 3g have more in common then the iphone 3g and the 3gs
    07-03-2009 10:58 AM
  11. creator55's Avatar
    Thanks everyone.

    I think I'll wait. It would burn me too much buying the iPhone for the full price knowing I could wait and get a much improved version next year for $200 most likely.

    I do think AT&T should allow people to upgrade to the newer iPhones with no penalty or anything. Or, at least allow current iPhone users to upgrade to the new one with no penalty.
    07-04-2009 12:27 AM