Voice Control

Fmrnyer32

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Is anyone else having trouble with voice control understanding you? Or is it assuming it knows whats best for me and plays what it thinks i want to hear and calls who it thinks i want to speak too??? LOL

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It works awesome for me most of the time but I find it funny that it doesn't recognize the name Beyonce.. Even with the accent on the e... Pretty hilarious considering she is one of the biggest names in the world.

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
I only use it to call people while driving, and have pretty good luck with it. I really hope it improves to be even better over time though as well.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
It takes a little bit of practice, talking slow enough to be heard correctly.. etc..

But once you get used to it, it comes in handy.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It takes a little bit of practice, talking slow enough to be heard correctly.. etc..

Except for the fact that it simply will not ever recognize the names of certain very popular artists :p This is something Apple needs to address. It's not like I'm the only person who wants to listen to BEYONCE, or MILEY CYRUS (which voice control calls "Bee-ince" and "Milly").. :)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Except for the fact that it simply will not ever recognize the names of certain very popular artists :p This is something Apple needs to address. It's not like I'm the only person who wants to listen to BEYONCE, or MILEY CYRUS (which voice control calls "Bee-ince" and "Milly").. :)

Haven't heard of that problem..

I never use it for music, which is probably why.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com
It works awesome for me most of the time but I find it funny that it doesn't recognize the name Beyonce.. Even with the accent on the e... Pretty hilarious considering she is one of the biggest names in the world.

You have to pronounce it as you think a computer would render the word. After several tries, I figured out that "Beyonce" is pronounced /be-yunts/. haha.

ryrycalguy

Jul 14, 2008
twitter.com

I used to work as Linguistic Transcriber for a voice recognition company (Tellme) and the worst thing you can do for any speech-to-text technology is talking slowly. You should speak at normal speed without over-pronouncing anything but you should try to say something as the computer would say it. Instead of saying "Play songs by Ar-E-Em (REM)", say "play songs by rem".

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@ryrycalguy
I know I realized that because I asked what song is this and heard it say beyunts :p and I tried to say beyunts back to it and it doesn't understand that for me.

tevetorbes

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I too have not used Voice Control for playing music, but it seems to work great for dialing friends, even with all their wonky names.

I used to have an old Samsung clamshell that did speech-to-text for txt messages, and while it sounded really awesome, it never worked right. The iPhone is a breeze in comparison. Now if it would only let me speak a text message...

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I too have not used Voice Control for playing music, but it seems to work great for dialing friends, even with all their wonky names.

I used to have an old Samsung clamshell that did speech-to-text for txt messages, and while it sounded really awesome, it never worked right. The iPhone is a breeze in comparison. Now if it would only let me speak a text message...

Maybe 4th gen iPhone will have speech to text but I don't think I would use it.

Phoebe

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
For best results you should say "Play artist <artist name>" Also works for songs and albums. It finds what your looking for a little bit better. When ever I say "Play artist Beyonce" I got 98 degrees once and Piotta twice. Wish there was a way to tell it how to pronounce something. For me, it's more of a hinderence than anything else because 80% of the time I ask it to do something it does it wrong.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Phoebe: it's so true. It gets artists wrong all the time. Every time I say beyonce it picks the gossip.. :(

and yeah it would be really nice to tell it how to pronounce things. I think apple should update the software though to recognize popular artist names.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Mine works perfectly... I use it for calls, no music as I don't use the iPod portion of my device.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner