Do you use the spotlight search feature?

Do you use spotlight search?

• Yes

Votes: 49 32.9%
  • No

Votes: 73 49.0%
  • Not yet, but I plan to.

Votes: 27 18.1%

• Total voters

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
My problem is I need the visual. I don't know all the apps I have sometimes, and if I am looking for a game (for example) sometimes I like to see the app itselt.

Chris

tevetorbes

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
I think I would only use spotlight for contacts and because of that I use voice control more. Especially if the rumors are true about voice control working through bluetooth headsets, then I'm all set!

Agreed- I use it alot now in a manner similar to Quicksilver, but if VC works thru bluetooth, that'll probably be the end of that.

rokamortis

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't use it to search for apps - but do use it when I need to find an email message and the occasional contact.

It is funny how many people don't use spotlight since I read somewhere that Apple wanted it to help with app launching / management, but it just isn't ideal for that. They need to create a true app manager and hopefully a today screen.

PocketAces21

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Spotlight sucks compared to Quickgold, the original Jailbreak search feature. Plus, Spotlight can't find apps that are organized into Categories.

btown11

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
i can't figure out how to implement it in my iphone usage. personally, i keep everything so organized that i don't need it, but i could see where your unorganized corporate douche would need it.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Spotlight sucks compared to Quickgold, the original Jailbreak search feature. Plus, Spotlight can't find apps that are organized into Categories.

Given that Apple doesn't support jailbreaking, it makes sense to me that the search doesn't support categories.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
i can't figure out how to implement it in my iphone usage. personally, i keep everything so organized that i don't need it, but i could see where your unorganized corporate douche would need it.

Gee, that's a nice thing to say.

jkeith133

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I find that spotlight is definitely a decent feature for 3.0. I was surprised when the original iPhone didn't have it, and it definitely makes it much easier finding messages that are important but are stuck somewhere in the endless lists of emails and SMS.

It's a basic feature that should have been original, but definitely like having the option.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
For those that don't find this feature useful, remember: options are always welcome, especially from Apple! Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it should disabled or not exist on the iPhone entirely. Let's widen our perspective for a minute and realize the world is bigger than just ourself. ;)

jmjohn

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
Spotlight - yes!

I have used Spotlight several times since upgrading to 3.0. While it is not used every day, it is sure handy when I can't find what I am looking for. I have 502 contacts in my list and sometimes it seems easier to use Spotlight to put in the first few letters of the name and let it find the contact for me.

VagrantHarmonist

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I have used Spotlight several times since upgrading to 3.0. While it is not used every day, it is sure handy when I can't find what I am looking for. I have 502 contacts in my list and sometimes it seems easier to use Spotlight to put in the first few letters of the name and let it find the contact for me.

but can't u search in the contacts app itself?

I mean, honestly I've never used it to search for an app so i may try implementing it that way. Thanx for the tip! :)

As of rite now i haven't really found the need for it. hmm hopefully i will. I like the idea of using the entire phone, not having a lil part left out...hope it comes in handy :)

Savio

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I don't use it too much. Occasionally I guess... I just don't find it all too necessary. I don't have so much info on my phone that it would be tough to actually find it myself.

nicoff

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site
I use it all the time. I have over 7000 contacts/events and cannot do without it. I bought my first iPhone in 2007 and returned it within a week: no spotlight and no cut/paste were no-nos for me. I kept my Treo until a few weeks ago when the first iPhone with true spotlight/cut/paste funcionality became available. Until then, the iPhone was just a pretty phone that did not meet my needs. I am still amazed that it took Apple so long to add these features.

pguich

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I use it sometimes. I guess it's nice to have, and in my opinion it doesn't get in the way, but it definitely isn't something very special. Multiple Calendars, on the other hand, that's IMO the best new feature in 3.0.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73