View Poll Results: Do you use spotlight search?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 32.89%
  • No

73 48.99%
  • Not yet, but I plan to.

27 18.12%
    Yea I always forget it's there to and end up going through the pages of apps.
    07-04-2009 03:59 PM
    I think I would only use spotlight for contacts and because of that I use voice control more. Especially if the rumors are true about voice control working through bluetooth headsets, then I'm all set!
    Agreed- I use it alot now in a manner similar to Quicksilver, but if VC works thru bluetooth, that'll probably be the end of that.
    07-05-2009 09:52 AM
    I don't use it to search for apps - but do use it when I need to find an email message and the occasional contact.

It is funny how many people don't use spotlight since I read somewhere that Apple wanted it to help with app launching / management, but it just isn't ideal for that. They need to create a true app manager and hopefully a today screen.
    07-05-2009 10:44 AM
    Spotlight sucks compared to Quickgold, the original Jailbreak search feature. Plus, Spotlight can't find apps that are organized into Categories.
    07-05-2009 12:55 PM
    i can't figure out how to implement it in my iphone usage. personally, i keep everything so organized that i don't need it, but i could see where your unorganized corporate ****** would need it.
    07-06-2009 12:48 AM
    Spotlight sucks compared to Quickgold, the original Jailbreak search feature. Plus, Spotlight can't find apps that are organized into Categories.
    Given that Apple doesn't support jailbreaking, it makes sense to me that the search doesn't support categories.
    07-06-2009 01:03 AM
    i can't figure out how to implement it in my iphone usage. personally, i keep everything so organized that i don't need it, but i could see where your unorganized corporate ****** would need it.
    Gee, that's a nice thing to say.
    07-06-2009 01:05 AM
    I find that spotlight is definitely a decent feature for 3.0. I was surprised when the original iPhone didn't have it, and it definitely makes it much easier finding messages that are important but are stuck somewhere in the endless lists of emails and SMS.

It's a basic feature that should have been original, but definitely like having the option.
    07-06-2009 01:14 AM
    For those that don't find this feature useful, remember: options are always welcome, especially from Apple! Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it should disabled or not exist on the iPhone entirely. Let's widen our perspective for a minute and realize the world is bigger than just ourself.
    07-06-2009 09:52 AM
    I actually wish I could just disable the spotlight feature. It annoys me when I accidentally scroll into it and have to scroll back out.
    I agree, its just an annoyance for me. I wish there was a toggle for it.
    07-06-2009 10:27 AM
    I have used Spotlight several times since upgrading to 3.0. While it is not used every day, it is sure handy when I can't find what I am looking for. I have 502 contacts in my list and sometimes it seems easier to use Spotlight to put in the first few letters of the name and let it find the contact for me.
    07-06-2009 10:46 AM
    I have used Spotlight several times since upgrading to 3.0. While it is not used every day, it is sure handy when I can't find what I am looking for. I have 502 contacts in my list and sometimes it seems easier to use Spotlight to put in the first few letters of the name and let it find the contact for me.
    but can't u search in the contacts app itself?

I mean, honestly I've never used it to search for an app so i may try implementing it that way. Thanx for the tip!

As of rite now i haven't really found the need for it. hmm hopefully i will. I like the idea of using the entire phone, not having a lil part left out...hope it comes in handy
    07-07-2009 02:34 AM
    I don't use it too much. Occasionally I guess... I just don't find it all too necessary. I don't have so much info on my phone that it would be tough to actually find it myself.
    07-07-2009 04:50 AM
    I use it all the time. I have over 7000 contacts/events and cannot do without it. I bought my first iPhone in 2007 and returned it within a week: no spotlight and no cut/paste were no-nos for me. I kept my Treo until a few weeks ago when the first iPhone with true spotlight/cut/paste funcionality became available. Until then, the iPhone was just a pretty phone that did not meet my needs. I am still amazed that it took Apple so long to add these features.
    07-07-2009 09:57 AM
    I use it sometimes. I guess it's nice to have, and in my opinion it doesn't get in the way, but it definitely isn't something very special. Multiple Calendars, on the other hand, that's IMO the best new feature in 3.0.
    07-07-2009 11:53 AM
    I think I'd have changed the survey just a tad, to include a "rarely, but it's nice to have' option.

I said No, but the truth is it's nice to know I can search if I need to.
    07-07-2009 12:13 PM
    Ditto. I find Spotlight useful mostly for that reason. Just seems easier to scroll over and key in the first few letters. Haven't used it for emails/songs yet though.
    07-07-2009 12:59 PM
    I take great care in organizing my apps by function, so it's quicker to scroll to them than to use spotlight.

The only function it serves on my iPhone (aside from a bit of lag at accidental scrolls to it) is to impress and entertain. If I know I'm looking for a calendar entry, I'll search through the calendar itself. Yes, that's probably an implementation of the spotlight feature, but I'd echo fellow commentators that an option to disable the home screen search might be nice.
    07-07-2009 03:24 PM
    im trying to get use to it i will in no time
    07-07-2009 07:47 PM
    you know whats funny the more apps and emails i get the more i use spotlight.. very very useful tool !!
    07-07-2009 11:45 PM
    I use it everyday.
    07-08-2009 09:23 AM
    I previously voted no, but since this thread I have been noticing more and more occasions that I can use it. For instance, I have 3 email addresses all feeding into the mail client. I needed info out of an email today but couldn't remember which mailbox it was in. Flipped over to Spotlight, typed in the senders name, and BAM! there it was.
    07-08-2009 01:25 PM
    i have categories and spotlight does NOT find any of the hidden apps so i dont really use it although its cool but quickgold does find the hidden ones
    07-08-2009 06:31 PM
    Haven't tried it yet!...
    08-03-2009 11:48 PM
    i used it when i first got the iphone but not since
    08-05-2009 05:46 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD