Good afternoon, all.

I have been a staunch palm supporter for over 10 years, and have had every treo since the 600. I am not really impressed with the pre, and it's synergy concept. I like to have all my information locally. That being said, my wife is also looking to move into the realm of the smartphone user, and is in love with the iphone.

We are with VZW and are contemplating moving the the iphone, but I am nervous about what I may lose going from the treo 755p to the iphone. Specifically, my categories in calendar and contacts, and my ability to sync my tasks and memos with outlook.

I believe I am able to set the iphone to get mail from my various accounts, without the need for mobileme, so I don't think that this would be an issue (I currently use chatteremail with 6 accounts).

What would I miss?

I have been reading here for many months, and have been an active member at treocentral, but I believe it may be coming time to move on.

Anyone willing to offer thoughts on what I will miss, in regards to the above?

Thanks, in advance.

Craig
    06-30-2009 02:51 PM
    Personally never owned a Palm device but my father was someone in your postion. And moving to the iPhone is an advance beyond your wildest dreams. Mobile me can sync notes, email, photos, its a nice 'cloud' to have. Theres many apps that let you sync various things to your desktop according to your preference. Sorry I cant get more detailed, but I know you will love it. I use my iPhone for all my mobile business and it never fails.
    06-30-2009 03:11 PM
    Thanks for the reply. How did he sync his outlook tasks and notes to the iphone? I rely on these and don't want to have to use a third party desktop solution for them.
    06-30-2009 03:16 PM
    Good afternoon, all.

I have been a staunch palm supporter for over 10 years, and have had every treo since the 600. I am not really impressed with the pre, and it's synergy concept. I like to have all my information locally. That being said, my wife is also looking to move into the realm of the smartphone user, and is in love with the iphone.

We are with VZW and are contemplating moving the the iphone, but I am nervous about what I may lose going from the treo 755p to the iphone. Specifically, my categories in calendar and contacts, and my ability to sync my tasks and memos with outlook.

I believe I am able to set the iphone to get mail from my various accounts, without the need for mobileme, so I don't think that this would be an issue (I currently use chatteremail with 6 accounts).

What would I miss?

I have been reading here for many months, and have been an active member at treocentral, but I believe it may be coming time to move on.

Anyone willing to offer thoughts on what I will miss, in regards to the above?

Thanks, in advance.

Craig
    Craig,
    Honestly MobileMe is what you need imo. MobileMe syncs contacts, mail, calendars with outlook, google, yahoo all over the air without ever connecting your phone with another computer. MobileMe is also PUSH which is very nice, its really push email, photos, calendar and even has idisk (storage, remote). I highly recommend you watch the MobileMe video tour, it is very informative.

With MobileMe and OS 3.0 you can also locate your GPS enabled iPhone (3G, 3GS).

MobileMe can be had for $60-70 on amazon and a little more for 5 account access.

When it comes to the device, I have owned a treo 650 and I cannot fathom the thought of how much better the iPhone is. I am very confident going from a Treo of any sorts to the iPhone will not keep you awake at night.

Without MobileMe your iPhone can still sync contacts, email and notes but not over the air.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-30-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    06-30-2009 03:28 PM
    mine all synch automatically with outlook when its plugged in. i dont remember doing anything other than to tell itunes what to synch with when i was intially setting up the phone.
    06-30-2009 03:29 PM
    I believe he used ToDo(9.99) to sync with his outlook for tasks/todo's. I also believe MobileMe will sync these things for you. I know you can set up calendars as well for reminders and such. Although I am not much in need of a note sync as I usually voice memo. So my knowledge is limited. And my father is in NY I live in Los Angeles, so I'd have to ask what he used for his syncing.
    06-30-2009 03:31 PM
    Craig,
    Honestly MobileMe is what you need imo. MobileMe syncs contacts, mail, calendars with outlook, google, yahoo all over the air without ever connecting your phone with another computer. MobileMe is also PUSH which is very nice, its really push email, photos, calendar and even has idisk (storage, remote). I highly recommend you watch the MobileMe video tour, it is very informative.

With MobileMe and OS 3.0 you can also locate your GPS enabled iPhone (3G, 3GS).

MobileMe can be had for $60-70 on amazon and a little more for 5 account access.

When it comes to the device, I have owned a treo 650 and I cannot fathom the thought of how much better the iPhone is. I am very confident going from a Treo of any sorts to the iPhone will not keep you from sleep at night.
    Thanks, but I think I was trying to not use mobileme. I did, in fact, watch the video tour and it seems to be very useful. Just not sure I would need it. However, is that the only way to completely sync with outlook? Notes and tasks? I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

I do like the idea of syncing all my pics taken with my potential iphone with mome, that way there is a backup.
    06-30-2009 03:32 PM
    mine all synch automatically with outlook when its plugged in. i dont remember doing anything other than to tell itunes what to synch with when i was intially setting up the phone.
    It actually syncs the tasks and notes, as well as the categories?
    06-30-2009 03:33 PM
    I believe he used ToDo(9.99) to sync with his outlook for tasks/todo's. I also believe MobileMe will sync these things for you. I know you can set up calendars as well for reminders and such.
    Thanks for the info. I wanted to try and do this without more money (may have an etf with Verizon).
    06-30-2009 03:34 PM
    Thanks, but I think I was trying to not use mobileme. I did, in fact, watch the video tour and it seems to be very useful. Just not sure I would need it. However, is that the only way to completely sync with outlook? Notes and tasks? I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

I do like the idea of syncing all my pics taken with my potential iphone with mome, that way there is a backup.
    No it's not the only way, you can sync with outlook, contacts, notes via iTunes and the phone has to be tethered (mean connected).
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-30-2009 at 03:38 PM.
    06-30-2009 03:36 PM
    I'm not adverse to the tethering thing. As I indicated, I am more interested in having all my info on my desktop/laptop (which is why synergy is not for me).

Good to know that notes will sync. Do tasks? I have seen nothing that says they do.
    06-30-2009 03:38 PM
    Thanks for the info. I wanted to try and do this without more money (may have an etf with Verizon).
    I see your point, but I look at app purchases as little investments that make my phone that much more custom to my needs. I think youd find that to. I mean my iPhone 36 via the apps I have aquired is my all in one choice, I could never have another mobile device. Besides, if you do purchase one you have 30 days to return it for a full refund and get another device if it doesnt meet your needs. Entertainment72 is right, MobileMe is what you need. I know there is a cost, but everyone I know who uses it, says they think its usefullness is great
    06-30-2009 03:40 PM

Good to know that notes will sync. Do tasks? I have seen nothing that says they do.
    Apps can help and if you just want to sync tasks, there many low priced apps that will do so.
    06-30-2009 03:41 PM
    I may have to rethink the whole mome thing. It may be worth it.

Thanks.
    06-30-2009 03:41 PM
    Craig,

If I were you I'd try iPhone out for 30 days and also take advantage of the MobileMe 60 day free trial period. If its too much, too little or just to costly cancel.
    06-30-2009 03:43 PM
    I am concerned about the whole 30 day trial. I am going to port my number, and don't want any problems. Especially if I were to return the phone, I would probably go back to vzw. I'm not yet sold on the whole ATT thing yet. I'm close, however.

I would probably try the mome free trial. I didn't realize it was 60 days. Good to know.
    06-30-2009 03:47 PM

here is where i do the synching in itunes.
    06-30-2009 04:40 PM
    Definitely worth it to get the iPhone. I've never liked Blackberry, I used to have one, and never liked Palm, I used to have one. And MobileMe can synch the Mac and a Windows computer with your iPhone fluidly. The only thing it can't do yet is synch Windows Live stuff, just outlook and Windows contacts.

But it is definitely worth it. Online storage, push email, synching everything, including bookmarks and email accounts. I love it.
    06-30-2009 04:41 PM
    i tried mobileme, and the only thing i didnt like is the fact that it pretty much renedered my outlook useless. i was too difficult to use both, and it caused issues with my email accts. that was just my exp though.
    06-30-2009 04:43 PM
    Yup this is exactly correct.

And if you have contact groups setup in outlook they will sync onto your iPhone no problem.
    06-30-2009 07:19 PM
    yeah the iphone will sync with itunes and outlook just fine. Tasks won't sync however. There might be a work around but there is no task app that comes with iphone. I use omnifocus for tasks and love it though it is a bit expensive. I will say that I have used a treo in my life and the upgrade to iphone was AMAZING. You won't regret it. YOu will have to get use to it but that will only take a little bit. Once you get use to it you will be amazed.
    06-30-2009 07:28 PM
    Let me throw in my 2 cents as another LONG time Palm user.

This is going to sound bizarre, but I sync my iPhone to my Palm desktop. Now quit laughing. I do. All my same contacts and calendar right where I want them. No memos or tasks at this point though, because I sync to Google, which isn't quite ready for Tasks, and hasn't addressed memos/notes yet. I use Companion Link to do this. (IIRC, CL was $30 to purchase the Google version - no subscription.)

In the meanwhile, instead of creating Tasks, I just create Meetings. After all, there isn't a huge difference in the two in the long run.

I've got 5 email accounts coming to my iPhone, all IMAP. No issues. Fetches every 15 minutes. Anyone who feels he needs email notification more immediately should leave his phone number with his contacts - just my 2 cents.

I'm loving this switch so much, that after only 2 months, I sold my 8GB iPhone 3G and bought a 32GB 3GS.
    06-30-2009 07:30 PM
    Oh and about mobile me. I use it and thought it was a tad bit expensive but after using it with my mac....i would gladly pay the price. Mobileme is not as good with the pc but still works great to sync everything. Movileme rocks. Mobileme and outlook aren't that good of friends but it still is functionable. Honestly I blame it on outlook. I had so much trouble with outlook and all the junk that it pulls. All these things plus some made me switch to apple products and after a year I haven't had any problems. Never had a problem with mail and I have 5 email addresses forwarding all my mail to mobile me which pushes all my email to my iphone.

About the ATT service. yes their customer service over the phone sucks. But if you go into the store for their customer service it is good. They are always very helpful when I go into the store, but I haven't been in much. Their 3g network isn't the best but that is because their system works best when not as many people are on the network. THe more people on the 3g network the worst the 3g network is.
    06-30-2009 07:33 PM
    Thanks, all, for the great info.

I was still wondering, is there an "app" that will sync tasks with outlook?

I understand your idea, Alli, but I am not sure that it would work for me. I really prefer the leveled priority and date sorting of the task list.

The 3g service in my area is a concern, but I believe it will be satisfactory for me.

I have looked at companion link, but it is very expensive for a sync solution. Reminds me of the early palm days, when you needed pocketmirror to sync with outlook.
    06-30-2009 09:23 PM
    As a former Palm Treo on Verizon user, let me tell you what you will lose...

1. VZW is much better than AT&T in my area. Yours may be same so check it out before making jump.
    2. Multitasking and copy/paste on iphone is not as good or nonexistent compared to palm. But that is as much to do with the fact that Palm used a stylus while iphone is your finger. Most of the time this is a big improvement but the copy/paste function with finger is funky and hard to get to work well.
    3. Palm has a ton of free apps available. iphone has many too, but not as many useful free apps. But most of the apps that I used on my Treo are replaced with either free or very cheap apps on iphone.

Compared to the gains of a really great browser and easy/slick interface the only thing that might be a show stopper for you is VZW v. ATT. If I knew then what I konw now, I am not sure I would switch yet. I would wait till October when supposedly 3g is coming to my area to replace the edge network in our area.
    06-30-2009 10:13 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD