Potential New User Here

Christinme7890

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
yeah the iphone will sync with itunes and outlook just fine. Tasks won't sync however. There might be a work around but there is no task app that comes with iphone. I use omnifocus for tasks and love it though it is a bit expensive. I will say that I have used a treo in my life and the upgrade to iphone was AMAZING. You won't regret it. YOu will have to get use to it but that will only take a little bit. Once you get use to it you will be amazed.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Let me throw in my 2 cents as another LONG time Palm user.

This is going to sound bizarre, but I sync my iPhone to my Palm desktop. Now quit laughing. I do. All my same contacts and calendar right where I want them. No memos or tasks at this point though, because I sync to Google, which isn't quite ready for Tasks, and hasn't addressed memos/notes yet. I use Companion Link to do this. (IIRC, CL was $30 to purchase the Google version - no subscription.)

In the meanwhile, instead of creating Tasks, I just create Meetings. After all, there isn't a huge difference in the two in the long run.

I've got 5 email accounts coming to my iPhone, all IMAP. No issues. Fetches every 15 minutes. Anyone who feels he needs email notification more immediately should leave his phone number with his contacts - just my 2 cents.

I'm loving this switch so much, that after only 2 months, I sold my 8GB iPhone 3G and bought a 32GB 3GS.

Christinme7890

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh and about mobile me. I use it and thought it was a tad bit expensive but after using it with my mac....i would gladly pay the price. Mobileme is not as good with the pc but still works great to sync everything. Movileme rocks. Mobileme and outlook aren't that good of friends but it still is functionable. Honestly I blame it on outlook. I had so much trouble with outlook and all the junk that it pulls. All these things plus some made me switch to apple products and after a year I haven't had any problems. Never had a problem with mail and I have 5 email addresses forwarding all my mail to mobile me which pushes all my email to my iphone.

About the ATT service. yes their customer service over the phone sucks. But if you go into the store for their customer service it is good. They are always very helpful when I go into the store, but I haven't been in much. Their 3g network isn't the best but that is because their system works best when not as many people are on the network. THe more people on the 3g network the worst the 3g network is.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
Thanks, all, for the great info.

I was still wondering, is there an "app" that will sync tasks with outlook?

I understand your idea, Alli, but I am not sure that it would work for me. I really prefer the leveled priority and date sorting of the task list.

The 3g service in my area is a concern, but I believe it will be satisfactory for me.

I have looked at companion link, but it is very expensive for a sync solution. Reminds me of the early palm days, when you needed pocketmirror to sync with outlook.

kpurcell

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
As a former Palm Treo on Verizon user, let me tell you what you will lose...

1. VZW is much better than AT&T in my area. Yours may be same so check it out before making jump.
2. Multitasking and copy/paste on iphone is not as good or nonexistent compared to palm. But that is as much to do with the fact that Palm used a stylus while iphone is your finger. Most of the time this is a big improvement but the copy/paste function with finger is funky and hard to get to work well.
3. Palm has a ton of free apps available. iphone has many too, but not as many useful free apps. But most of the apps that I used on my Treo are replaced with either free or very cheap apps on iphone.

Compared to the gains of a really great browser and easy/slick interface the only thing that might be a show stopper for you is VZW v. ATT. If I knew then what I konw now, I am not sure I would switch yet. I would wait till October when supposedly 3g is coming to my area to replace the edge network in our area.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

1. VZW is much better than AT&T in my area. Yours may be same so check it out before making jump.
2. Multitasking and copy/paste on iphone is not as good or nonexistent compared to palm. But that is as much to do with the fact that Palm used a stylus while iphone is your finger. Most of the time this is a big improvement but the copy/paste function with finger is funky and hard to get to work well.
3. Palm has a ton of free apps available. iphone has many too, but not as many useful free apps. But most of the apps that I used on my Treo are replaced with either free or very cheap apps on iphone.

Compared to the gains of a really great browser and easy/slick interface the only thing that might be a show stopper for you is VZW v. ATT. If I knew then what I konw now, I am not sure I would switch yet. I would wait till October when supposedly 3g is coming to my area to replace the edge network in our area.

Just to respond to two things quickly. First cut and paste IMO is pretty simple on the iPhone. Second, you cant compare treo apps with iPhone apps. I am sorry, but the iPhone takes apps to the next level, and theres lots of free ones. I'd gather theres more free apps for the iphone than the treo in the wild.(based on no fact just assumption) :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, all, for the great info.

I was still wondering, is there an "app" that will sync tasks with outlook?

The only way you can sync tasks is if you use something like Toodledo and sync that to your Google calendar. (I don't like it, but it's among the best options right now.)
I have looked at companion link, but it is very expensive for a sync solution. Reminds me of the early palm days, when you needed pocketmirror to sync with outlook.

Compared to how much we've spent for every individual Palm app, $30 is pretty average. And since it's an app purchase, not a service, it's a one time fee that you can use forever.

You can sync your iPhone straight to Outlook...but not Tasks.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com

This was also one of my biggest concerns. I have some friends on att, and they are fairly satisfied. That is all I really have to go on when comparing vzw to att. I have been very satisfied with vzw, both with customer service and their phone service. I am worried I may find out that "It's the network" and spend 2 miserable years.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
The only way you can sync tasks is if you use something like Toodledo and sync that to your Google calendar. (I don't like it, but it's among the best options right now.)

You can sync your iPhone straight to Outlook...but not Tasks.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a fan of the google tasks. And they don't sync to outlook, so I am still left with not having my task list sync from outlook to the iphone.

Does a program like companionlink handle this? I will need to look into it.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a fan of the google tasks. And they don't sync to outlook, so I am still left with not having my task list sync from outlook to the iphone.

Does a program like companionlink handle this? I will need to look into it.

You may look at Omnifocus. It is an App for the iPhone and has a Desktop version. From my understanding you will have to have the Desktop version to take full advantage of the App. It sounds like it will do what you want it to do but it is not cheap.:eek:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
What about using iCal to set up appointments in the day section? I do that sometimes and then hit snooze if I haven't completed it yet.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
You may look at Omnifocus. It is an App for the iPhone and has a Desktop version. From my understanding you will have to have the Desktop version to take full advantage of the App. It sounds like it will do what you want it to do but it is not cheap.:eek:

I just checked out their site, and I think it is MAC only.

I never thought it would be so difficult to sync a major PIM function with a smartphone.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
This was also one of my biggest concerns. I have some friends on att, and they are fairly satisfied. That is all I really have to go on when comparing vzw to att. I have been very satisfied with vzw, both with customer service and their phone service. I am worried I may find out that "It's the network" and spend 2 miserable years.

Don't worry about the whole 2 miserable years thing, you have 30 days. Just be sure to return it during the trial period if service is unsatisfactory.

I used iTunes to sync my email, notes, contacts etc.. MobileMe is so much nicer. I haven't had any issues (PC user here) with outlook (07) and the MobileMe control panel.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2