Potential New User Here

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
Good afternoon, all.

I have been a staunch palm supporter for over 10 years, and have had every treo since the 600. I am not really impressed with the pre, and it's synergy concept. I like to have all my information locally. That being said, my wife is also looking to move into the realm of the smartphone user, and is in love with the iphone.

We are with VZW and are contemplating moving the the iphone, but I am nervous about what I may lose going from the treo 755p to the iphone. Specifically, my categories in calendar and contacts, and my ability to sync my tasks and memos with outlook.

I believe I am able to set the iphone to get mail from my various accounts, without the need for mobileme, so I don't think that this would be an issue (I currently use chatteremail with 6 accounts).

What would I miss?

I have been reading here for many months, and have been an active member at treocentral, but I believe it may be coming time to move on.

Anyone willing to offer thoughts on what I will miss, in regards to the above?

Thanks, in advance.

Craig

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally never owned a Palm device but my father was someone in your postion. And moving to the iPhone is an advance beyond your wildest dreams. Mobile me can sync notes, email, photos, its a nice 'cloud' to have. Theres many apps that let you sync various things to your desktop according to your preference. Sorry I cant get more detailed, but I know you will love it. I use my iPhone for all my mobile business and it never fails.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
Thanks for the reply. How did he sync his outlook tasks and notes to the iphone? I rely on these and don't want to have to use a third party desktop solution for them.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Good afternoon, all.

I have been a staunch palm supporter for over 10 years, and have had every treo since the 600. I am not really impressed with the pre, and it's synergy concept. I like to have all my information locally. That being said, my wife is also looking to move into the realm of the smartphone user, and is in love with the iphone.

We are with VZW and are contemplating moving the the iphone, but I am nervous about what I may lose going from the treo 755p to the iphone. Specifically, my categories in calendar and contacts, and my ability to sync my tasks and memos with outlook.

I believe I am able to set the iphone to get mail from my various accounts, without the need for mobileme, so I don't think that this would be an issue (I currently use chatteremail with 6 accounts).

What would I miss?

I have been reading here for many months, and have been an active member at treocentral, but I believe it may be coming time to move on.

Anyone willing to offer thoughts on what I will miss, in regards to the above?

Thanks, in advance.

Craig

Craig,
Honestly MobileMe is what you need imo. MobileMe syncs contacts, mail, calendars with outlook, google, yahoo all over the air without ever connecting your phone with another computer. MobileMe is also PUSH which is very nice, its really push email, photos, calendar and even has idisk (storage, remote). I highly recommend you watch the MobileMe video tour, it is very informative.

With MobileMe and OS 3.0 you can also locate your GPS enabled iPhone (3G, 3GS).

MobileMe can be had for $60-70 on amazon and a little more for 5 account access.

When it comes to the device, I have owned a treo 650 and I cannot fathom the thought of how much better the iPhone is. I am very confident going from a Treo of any sorts to the iPhone will not keep you awake at night.

Without MobileMe your iPhone can still sync contacts, email and notes but not over the air.

Last edited:

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
mine all synch automatically with outlook when its plugged in. i dont remember doing anything other than to tell itunes what to synch with when i was intially setting up the phone.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I believe he used ToDo(9.99) to sync with his outlook for tasks/todo's. I also believe MobileMe will sync these things for you. I know you can set up calendars as well for reminders and such. Although I am not much in need of a note sync as I usually voice memo. So my knowledge is limited. And my father is in NY I live in Los Angeles, so I'd have to ask what he used for his syncing.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
Craig,
Honestly MobileMe is what you need imo. MobileMe syncs contacts, mail, calendars with outlook, google, yahoo all over the air without ever connecting your phone with another computer. MobileMe is also PUSH which is very nice, its really push email, photos, calendar and even has idisk (storage, remote). I highly recommend you watch the MobileMe video tour, it is very informative.

With MobileMe and OS 3.0 you can also locate your GPS enabled iPhone (3G, 3GS).

MobileMe can be had for $60-70 on amazon and a little more for 5 account access.

When it comes to the device, I have owned a treo 650 and I cannot fathom the thought of how much better the iPhone is. I am very confident going from a Treo of any sorts to the iPhone will not keep you from sleep at night.

Thanks, but I think I was trying to not use mobileme. I did, in fact, watch the video tour and it seems to be very useful. Just not sure I would need it. However, is that the only way to completely sync with outlook? Notes and tasks? I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

I do like the idea of syncing all my pics taken with my potential iphone with mome, that way there is a backup.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, but I think I was trying to not use mobileme. I did, in fact, watch the video tour and it seems to be very useful. Just not sure I would need it. However, is that the only way to completely sync with outlook? Notes and tasks? I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

I do like the idea of syncing all my pics taken with my potential iphone with mome, that way there is a backup.

No it's not the only way, you can sync with outlook, contacts, notes via iTunes and the phone has to be tethered (mean connected).

Last edited:

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
I'm not adverse to the tethering thing. As I indicated, I am more interested in having all my info on my desktop/laptop (which is why synergy is not for me).

Good to know that notes will sync. Do tasks? I have seen nothing that says they do.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I wanted to try and do this without more money (may have an etf with Verizon).
I see your point, but I look at app purchases as little investments that make my phone that much more custom to my needs. I think youd find that to. I mean my iPhone 36 via the apps I have aquired is my all in one choice, I could never have another mobile device. Besides, if you do purchase one you have 30 days to return it for a full refund and get another device if it doesnt meet your needs. Entertainment72 is right, MobileMe is what you need. I know there is a cost, but everyone I know who uses it, says they think its usefullness is great

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Craig,

If I were you I'd try iPhone out for 30 days and also take advantage of the MobileMe 60 day free trial period. If its too much, too little or just to costly cancel.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
I am concerned about the whole 30 day trial. I am going to port my number, and don't want any problems. Especially if I were to return the phone, I would probably go back to vzw. I'm not yet sold on the whole ATT thing yet. I'm close, however.

I would probably try the mome free trial. I didn't realize it was 60 days. Good to know.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
info-1.jpg

here is where i do the synching in itunes.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Definitely worth it to get the iPhone. I've never liked Blackberry, I used to have one, and never liked Palm, I used to have one. And MobileMe can synch the Mac and a Windows computer with your iPhone fluidly. The only thing it can't do yet is synch Windows Live stuff, just outlook and Windows contacts.

But it is definitely worth it. Online storage, push email, synching everything, including bookmarks and email accounts. I love it.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i tried mobileme, and the only thing i didnt like is the fact that it pretty much renedered my outlook useless. i was too difficult to use both, and it caused issues with my email accts. that was just my exp though.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
mine all synch automatically with outlook when its plugged in. i dont remember doing anything other than to tell itunes what to synch with when i was intially setting up the phone.

Yup this is exactly correct.

And if you have contact groups setup in outlook they will sync onto your iPhone no problem.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR