As a former Palm Treo on Verizon user, let me tell you what you will lose...

1. VZW is much better than AT&T in my area. Yours may be same so check it out before making jump.
    2. Multitasking and copy/paste on iphone is not as good or nonexistent compared to palm. But that is as much to do with the fact that Palm used a stylus while iphone is your finger. Most of the time this is a big improvement but the copy/paste function with finger is funky and hard to get to work well.
    3. Palm has a ton of free apps available. iphone has many too, but not as many useful free apps. But most of the apps that I used on my Treo are replaced with either free or very cheap apps on iphone.

Compared to the gains of a really great browser and easy/slick interface the only thing that might be a show stopper for you is VZW v. ATT. If I knew then what I konw now, I am not sure I would switch yet. I would wait till October when supposedly 3g is coming to my area to replace the edge network in our area.
    Just to respond to two things quickly. First cut and paste IMO is pretty simple on the iPhone. Second, you cant compare treo apps with iPhone apps. I am sorry, but the iPhone takes apps to the next level, and theres lots of free ones. I'd gather theres more free apps for the iphone than the treo in the wild.(based on no fact just assumption)
    06-30-2009 10:26 PM
    I used to own the 650 and the Centro.. iPhone definitely takes the cake.
    06-30-2009 11:31 PM
    Thanks, all, for the great info.

I was still wondering, is there an "app" that will sync tasks with outlook?
    The only way you can sync tasks is if you use something like Toodledo and sync that to your Google calendar. (I don't like it, but it's among the best options right now.)

I have looked at companion link, but it is very expensive for a sync solution. Reminds me of the early palm days, when you needed pocketmirror to sync with outlook.
    Compared to how much we've spent for every individual Palm app, $30 is pretty average. And since it's an app purchase, not a service, it's a one time fee that you can use forever.

You can sync your iPhone straight to Outlook...but not Tasks.
    07-01-2009 01:32 AM
    As a former Palm Treo on Verizon user, let me tell you what you will lose...

1. VZW is much better than AT&T in my area. Yours may be same so check it out before making jump.
    2. Multitasking and copy/paste on iphone is not as good or nonexistent compared to palm. But that is as much to do with the fact that Palm used a stylus while iphone is your finger. Most of the time this is a big improvement but the copy/paste function with finger is funky and hard to get to work well.
    3. Palm has a ton of free apps available. iphone has many too, but not as many useful free apps. But most of the apps that I used on my Treo are replaced with either free or very cheap apps on iphone.

Compared to the gains of a really great browser and easy/slick interface the only thing that might be a show stopper for you is VZW v. ATT. If I knew then what I konw now, I am not sure I would switch yet. I would wait till October when supposedly 3g is coming to my area to replace the edge network in our area.
    This was also one of my biggest concerns. I have some friends on att, and they are fairly satisfied. That is all I really have to go on when comparing vzw to att. I have been very satisfied with vzw, both with customer service and their phone service. I am worried I may find out that "It's the network" and spend 2 miserable years.
    07-01-2009 08:30 AM
    The only way you can sync tasks is if you use something like Toodledo and sync that to your Google calendar. (I don't like it, but it's among the best options right now.)

You can sync your iPhone straight to Outlook...but not Tasks.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a fan of the google tasks. And they don't sync to outlook, so I am still left with not having my task list sync from outlook to the iphone.

Does a program like companionlink handle this? I will need to look into it.
    07-01-2009 08:32 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not a fan of the google tasks. And they don't sync to outlook, so I am still left with not having my task list sync from outlook to the iphone.

Does a program like companionlink handle this? I will need to look into it.
    You may look at Omnifocus. It is an App for the iPhone and has a Desktop version. From my understanding you will have to have the Desktop version to take full advantage of the App. It sounds like it will do what you want it to do but it is not cheap.
    07-01-2009 08:45 AM
    What about using iCal to set up appointments in the day section? I do that sometimes and then hit snooze if I haven't completed it yet.
    07-01-2009 08:46 AM
    What about using iCal to set up appointments in the day section? I do that sometimes and then hit snooze if I haven't completed it yet.
    Sorry if this wasn't clear before, but I am a PC. It's outlook for me.
    07-01-2009 09:00 AM
    You may look at Omnifocus. It is an App for the iPhone and has a Desktop version. From my understanding you will have to have the Desktop version to take full advantage of the App. It sounds like it will do what you want it to do but it is not cheap.
    I just checked out their site, and I think it is MAC only.

I never thought it would be so difficult to sync a major PIM function with a smartphone.
    07-01-2009 09:02 AM
    This was also one of my biggest concerns. I have some friends on att, and they are fairly satisfied. That is all I really have to go on when comparing vzw to att. I have been very satisfied with vzw, both with customer service and their phone service. I am worried I may find out that "It's the network" and spend 2 miserable years.
    Don't worry about the whole 2 miserable years thing, you have 30 days. Just be sure to return it during the trial period if service is unsatisfactory.

I used iTunes to sync my email, notes, contacts etc.. MobileMe is so much nicer. I haven't had any issues (PC user here) with outlook (07) and the MobileMe control panel.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-01-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    07-01-2009 11:21 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD