What Would You Like to See in the iPhone 3.1 Software?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i'd be happy if we could choose our own email alert. even if it was only the options that they have for sms. something, i cant hardly hear the alert now. i would also like to have the email alert repeat like the sms do. and an email preview would be cool too.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I know when my iPhone was jailbroken, the weather app displayed the current temp. That would be cool to see in the future.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
i'd be happy if we could choose our own email alert. even if it was only the options that they have for sms. something, i cant hardly hear the alert now. i would also like to have the email alert repeat like the sms do. and an email preview would be cool too.

There are many reasons they don't do both of your requests.

They don't have the email alert loud, because many iPhone users are business users. And most either have multiple email accounts on their phone, or receive 100s of emails a day. Having a loud tone go off everytime an email is pushed or fetched, would be very annoying. And that goes the same with an email repeat alert.
Having said that though, it wouldn't hurt for them to give us the options to choose it. Seems Apple doesn't give us enough options for many things.

I heard that in the earlier OS's when you clicked 'close' on a text, it would just close the window, and keep the 'unread' text badge. This is the way I'd prefer it, until they create a "quick text" mode that allows you to text back in an app, without closing what you were doing. They decided to get rid of that, and make it appear read if you click close. I wish they would give us the option, not just assume this is how everyone wants it.

"Show message as read when closed is tapped - ON/OFF"

Something like that.

Actually, better yet, they should have a little "x" in the top right corner of the message. Click close to act like you've read it, hit the little "x" to ignore for now and view it later.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I know when my iPhone was jailbroken, the weather app displayed the current temp. That would be cool to see in the future.

Competely agree.
The calendar shows the day and date, why not have the weather app display the current temp. They could ask you which city to make as default.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Same thing with the Stocks app. Whatever stock you love could automatically update on the Springboard. Nifty idea. Just thought of that one.

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Id like to seem them incorporate a rip FROM iphone feature, so you can sync with different libraries and whatnot, this will be a very useful feature :D

but on touch with reality, id like to see improvements to safari, mainly, make the visuals more like safari 4 desktop ant speed the spotlight search up.

Edit-- hopefully live weather to, not the same 73 every time :D

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Another fix I'd like for the next OS update:

I don't see why us 3G (and 2G) users now have to hold down the power button, and then hold down the home button just to force quit an app. It makes sense for 3GS users, but not for 3G and 2G.
We can't do voice command, so why the extra step for us...?

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
There are many reasons they don't do both of your requests.

They don't have the email alert loud, because many iPhone users are business users. And most either have multiple email accounts on their phone, or receive 100s of emails a day. Having a loud tone go off everytime an email is pushed or fetched, would be very annoying. And that goes the same with an email repeat alert.
Having said that though, it wouldn't hurt for them to give us the options to choose it. Seems Apple doesn't give us enough options for many things.

I heard that in the earlier OS's when you clicked 'close' on a text, it would just close the window, and keep the 'unread' text badge. This is the way I'd prefer it, until they create a "quick text" mode that allows you to text back in an app, without closing what you were doing. They decided to get rid of that, and make it appear read if you click close. I wish they would give us the option, not just assume this is how everyone wants it.

"Show message as read when closed is tapped - ON/OFF"

Something like that.

Actually, better yet, they should have a little "x" in the top right corner of the message. Click close to act like you've read it, hit the little "x" to ignore for now and view it later.

i get the email problem you describe, but rim who is known for emails, allows this and i dont see it as too much of a problem, IF they give it to us as an option. i do like your idea on the badges for sms though, that would be cool.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
My list, in order of priority:

1) iPhoto video issue, this REALLY annoys me. If you take video with the 3G S, saves to camera roll, if u dump it into a different iphoto album, like me, because I clear my camera roll, it doesn't sync the video back! ANNOYING!

2) MMS!! (even though I know this won't happen right now)

3) Custom SMS/E-mail alerts

4) A Find feature in safari (you know where you can hit alt+f on safari or FF on a computer and find a certain word in a long document), that would be helpful.

corronchos

May 31, 2009
Visit site
iPhone nooB here so please correct me if these items are already there (somewhere)...

- STOP reducing my photo resolution when emailing!
- ability to edit the custom word dictionary
- ability to archive and email visual voicemails (although that may be more of an ATT thing?)
- access to photo EXIF data from the phone
- alert profiles
- SMS resend option
- SMS to an email address

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Current weather/stocks would require memory, so your 2g and 3g phones would be even slower than now.

I would love T9-type text input and a way to TEMPORARILY toggle autocorrection. I don't like SMSes with accents (I am Czech).

Another suggestion: provide a way to disable Mail and Safari running in background. I don't need them to and since RAM is critically limited on older iPhones, I need to reboot or clean RAM with Memtool pretty often.

mketchum

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
An icon to switch between 3G and Edge manually.
Since my 3G coverage is terrible at my house i have to manually switch to Edge. Would be nice to do it quickly on the home screen.

Allow app organization in iTunes.

Last edited:

mketchum

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
You can do this!
Just go to your photo album, select that arrow button on the bottom left, then click multiple photos and "share".

Hmmmm...
That's weird.
And you're on the new 3.0 OS...?

I have that arrow "export" button, which when clicked, allows me to select multiple photos to delete or share.

I did miss something! I was in a photo when I looked for that. Now I found it. Its when I am looking at the thumb prints. Cool. Thanks :D:D

Ripjames

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
A2DP Bluetooth volume control.

I whole heartedly approve of this.... but wont happen and i'll add that I would like the Skip and previous buttons to work.. the would with the final developer relase, I think.. i'm not sure now but i"m pretty sure they did.. but they don't with the official 3.0