This phone is the s&%t and thats why it pains me to be having these issues with it. My first one that I got on launch day had the chrome bezel shanked along the right side causing weird light reflections that bugged the heck out of it. So i decided I may as well swap it while I was within my 30 days. The second one, a white one, had about 15 tiny cracks in the case around the microphone and dock connector and several along the top by the headphone jack. There was also a weird lump in the rubber bumper around the screen and dust particles trapped inside the screen. The third phone, back to a black one now has the same scuffed chrome, dust in the screen, and a dead pixel. I consider myself to be extremely picky about these sorts of things but I wonder if I have come to expect too much from a product that is made in China. I think I may just stick with the one I have now as I am getting tired of going back to the Apple store and am really starting to wonder if there is such a thing as a "perfect" iPhone. As I use it more and it goes through normal wear and tear I dont think these cosmetic issues will bug me so much.
    06-28-2009 04:44 PM
    With all due respect....Yes.

Dead Pixels are one thing, but minor imperfections? I do not know about you but I use mine every day, every hour. It is going to get nicked up. Mine stays in an Incase 24/7 but even then there are very minor imperfections. To most people mine look like it just came out of the box, but I can see small stuff.

If there are no dead pixels and it works well, then I can live very happily with minor imperfections. Butt that is just me.
    06-28-2009 04:52 PM
    The dead pixel is only noticable when you REALLY look for it. I have heard that most iPhones will have at least one dead pixel, most people just arent as anal as me and will probably never notice them. My iPod Touch has several dead pixels.
    06-28-2009 04:59 PM
    There is always a few people who have constant issues. I feel your pain, exchange it until you are happy.
    06-28-2009 05:01 PM
    There is always a few people who have constant issues. I feel your pain, exchange it until you are happy.
    Yea when I first got my iPhone 2G I was picky with it but 4 iPhone later I am not so picky now.
    06-28-2009 05:13 PM
    Aren't most products made in china anyway ?

Those scratches are going to happen no matter what. Especially around the USB and headphone ports.

You have 1 year insurance on your phone and. 30 days to end your contract, not to replace the phone. If something happens 2 months from now you'll be able to replace the phone.

I actually had 3 refurbished iPhone 3G devices. I might have to replace this 3GS later down the line.
    06-28-2009 05:17 PM
    Yea when I first got my iPhone 2G I was picky with it but 4 iPhone later I am not so picky now.
    So do you mean you replaced it four times before you just gave up?
    06-28-2009 05:46 PM
    So do you mean you replaced it four times before you just gave up?
    I have the 2G and then got 3G and then I dropped it paid full price for new one and got one for free.
    06-28-2009 06:53 PM
    I exchanged mine b/c the silent switch was a bit loose. The new one is still loose, but a lot better so I decided to stick with it.
    06-28-2009 08:46 PM
    A dead pixel would annoy the crap out of me. Especially if it was in the center of the screen. I would replace it
    06-28-2009 09:13 PM
    There is nothing you can do about scratches on the bezel. Get use to it
    06-28-2009 11:26 PM
    I would not say that... if you take care of your phone it can be done - I've done it. Or you can always go the brushed metal look.
    06-28-2009 11:28 PM
    I would not say that... if you take care of your phone it can be done - I've done it. Or you can always go the brushed metal look.
    I agree...I take excellent care of my things and the bezel really should not be scraped up out of the box, I should have the honor of doing that. I decided I will replace number 3 tomorrow and will continue to do so until I recieve a unit that does not have multiple flaws out of the box. I have a really good feeling about this 4th one
    06-29-2009 01:39 AM
    I am not sure if you bought the phones like this or if wear and tear made them like so. If it is wear then live with it and be careful with it. If the phone came like so, then stop buying refurbished phones. No new phone should be like that. When you get the phone at Apple take it out and look at it before you leave the store. That way you can be assured that it is functioning and looking well.
    06-29-2009 08:50 AM
    I exchanged mine b/c the silent switch was a bit loose. The new one is still loose, but a lot better so I decided to stick with it.
    One time the silent switch feel off but apple replaced.
    06-29-2009 08:52 AM
    Every phone is going to have some type of imperfection. I've noticed dead pixels and scuffs and nicks around the chrome border. In my opinion it doesn't get much better than iPhone and these imperfections are disapointing, I would take it back until you find something you can live with. Normal wear and tear from usage is expected but for what you pay for the device there should be zero problems when it's fresh out of the box.
    06-29-2009 09:04 AM
    Return it, you shouldn't be left with something you're unhappy with when the phone is so expensive, and when you're locked into it for 2 years. Get apple care and make sure you're always having a good experience with your iphone. I've been through probably 5 now, I'm never apprehensive about taking it to a genius bar. I paid good money for my 3G (full price) and I'm not going to let myself be unsatisfied.
    You're not "locked" into this current iphone for two years. Next new iphone in a year and i'm sure you'll have some kind of "upgrade" pricing as well for it. You are locked into AT&T for the two years unless you pay an ETF.

Getting Apple care is stupid. It comes with one year already. Considering what iphones sell for even one year old, you should break even anyways (or profit) when upgrading.

That said, you should be happy. Exchange it til you are.
    06-29-2009 10:48 AM
    Well I just got back from the store with the 4th one and it is an improvement. No dead pixels that I can see, little bit of dust under glass but all 4 have had this, and that damn chrome is still scratched on the side (wish those rumors about the black bezel had been true). That said I will probably keep this one as it seems to be the best out of the ones i have been through.
    06-29-2009 02:52 PM
    Well I just got back from the store with the 4th one and it is an improvement. No dead pixels that I can see, little bit of dust under glass but all 4 have had this, and that damn chrome is still scratched on the side (wish those rumors about the black bezel had been true). That said I will probably keep this one as it seems to be the best out of the ones i have been through.
    Wow, you've had some really bad luck. I had issues with the first iPhone and dead pixels myself. No issues with the 3G or the 3GS. Good luck from here on out!
    06-29-2009 03:19 PM
    Yeah I'm not going to let the scratched chrome bother me anymore, the phone works and that is what matters. I could end up getting one that is perfect only to drop it the next day and then really be pissed...
    06-29-2009 03:53 PM
    Put a case on it that covers the bezel. Problem solved.
    06-29-2009 04:13 PM
    Take care of your phone and you don't have to worry about these types of problems.
    06-30-2009 02:14 AM
    This phone is the s&%t and thats why it pains me to be having these issues with it. My first one that I got on launch day had the chrome bezel shanked along the right side causing weird light reflections that bugged the heck out of it. So i decided I may as well swap it while I was within my 30 days. The second one, a white one, had about 15 tiny cracks in the case around the microphone and dock connector and several along the top by the headphone jack. There was also a weird lump in the rubber bumper around the screen and dust particles trapped inside the screen. The third phone, back to a black one now has the same scuffed chrome, dust in the screen, and a dead pixel. I consider myself to be extremely picky about these sorts of things but I wonder if I have come to expect too much from a product that is made in China. I think I may just stick with the one I have now as I am getting tired of going back to the Apple store and am really starting to wonder if there is such a thing as a "perfect" iPhone. As I use it more and it goes through normal wear and tear I dont think these cosmetic issues will bug me so much.

You dont check out these phone before you leave the store??
    07-02-2009 01:26 AM
    Are you going back to the same place each time you get a new phone? Maybe try another location and have the rep take out a few phones for you to examine, if they say no just tell em "you want me back here in a few hours exchanging this one?" Or get a mgr and explain the situation. Nah your not being to picky, you paid the price and you want a perfect looking phone, its all good!!!
    07-02-2009 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD