Now that I finally got MMS to work, I noticed that the pictures are blurry/pixelated. Is anyone else having this problem or know a fix?

Oh yeah, my iPhone is a 3g unlocked/jailbroken on 3.0 with tmobile as my carrier.
    06-25-2009 12:40 PM
    I read this this morning

Pics come in HORRIBLE resolution!

I remember a post i found when I was using a nokia e61 on tmobile that if tmobile doesn't have the phone listed as supported, it automatically resizes the image to 160x120

so this is why receiving pics with the iPhone messages app are so bad.
    I hope there is someone whom can hack the iPhone so it sends out a fake device profile to your carrier so we could receive pictures in better resolution.. in SwirlyMMS I had to set up the device as a Motorola V300 or something or the Nokia profile, and the pics came out great... lets get this rolling for the stock apple MMS settings someone! Please!
    I also noticed that pics viewed in "full screen" usually look horrible because the iPhone has a much larger screen and resolution than most of the phones sending mms. So it's putting really small pics and filling up your screen with them.
    06-25-2009 04:03 PM
    Yes it looks horrible! I wonder if there is a way to set a size?
    06-25-2009 08:31 PM
    Some carriers alter the quality on their MMS pictures because most camera phones do not have the resolution the iphone. They do this to conserve bandwidth.
    06-25-2009 09:00 PM
    Now that I finally got MMS to work, I noticed that the pictures are blurry/pixelated. Is anyone else having this problem or know a fix?

Oh yeah, my iPhone is a 3g unlocked/jailbroken on 3.0 with tmobile as my carrier.
    Hi, I know how to fix it, it works on my iphone now, the pictures were great on incoming/ sending.
    07-17-2009 04:59 AM
    Hi, I know how to fix it, it works on my iphone now, the pictures were great on incoming/ sending.
    Well, how? I have the same problem. the pictures i receive are very small 80x120...
    t-mobile/ iphone 3gs
    07-18-2009 03:48 AM
    I wish I had mms.
    sucks to be an original iPhone user...
    07-18-2009 05:29 AM
    Yeah how do you fix the blurry mms problem?
    07-21-2009 08:01 PM
    please tell us how to fix the problem
    08-17-2009 12:04 PM
    Well first thing I would do is wait for AT&T. Then there shouldn't be a problem.
    08-17-2009 02:44 PM
    Well first thing I would do is wait for AT&T. Then there shouldn't be a problem.
    The OP is on Tmobile and waiting on AT&T will have no effect. However, your going to find that while viewing mms pics on the iPhone from AT&T some are going to be pixelated and blurry cause full screen means just that, it's gonna show the pic full screen, even if the resolution of the sent pic is 20X20.
    08-17-2009 02:54 PM
    Actually I think that they'll find a fix for that on AT&T.
    08-17-2009 03:57 PM
    Actually I think that they'll find a fix for that on AT&T.
    I really hope you are right. It would be nice if it would just show the pic at it's actual size, if it is smaller than the screen res, with a black border maybe, and of course, if it's bigger, scale it down to screen size.
    08-17-2009 03:59 PM
    I just want you to know it has nothing to do with AT&T or MMS, even if I open an email and save a picture to the camera roll, the picture (which looked good in the email) looks blurry in the camera roll
    08-17-2009 04:02 PM
    The developers that were beta testing 3.0 and 3.0.1 have, in both instances, reported clear mms pics.
    08-17-2009 04:17 PM
    I am one of those developers, and I can tell you, if the received photo is much smaller than the iPhone's screen res, the photo is pixellated and blurry.

Here is a for example. I took a quick snap of my watch and cropped it down to smaller than the iPhone screen resolution. much smaller actually, say 1/4 to 1/3 the size. Still within the realm of the size you might get from a "dumb" phone.

Actual size from email (emailed using the photogene app)

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like if emailed from the photos app

and here is the thumbnail view from the messages app

And here is fullscreen from the messages app

Personally, I would rather have it at it's native size with a plain black border around it to fill up the rest of the screen. It's useable, but it is a problem with the iPhone and the photos app and the way it integrates with the mail app and messages app.
    08-17-2009 05:12 PM
    Many many people have argued for MMS because their freinds do not have email on their phone. Now your telling me that even if I had mms and received a pic from a "dumb" phone that it would be a bad pic?

Sounds like it is a technology that is on it's way out the door. And not something I want on my phone.

Btw I am sure a pic sent IPhone to IPhone would rock! But if you have an IPhone, you have email! MMS is not needed IMO
    08-17-2009 06:45 PM
    ATT has to fix this
    08-17-2009 06:54 PM
    It has nothing to do with AT&T or mms in general, it is the way the iPhone handles photos and images. It does the same with email. All that is required is for the iPhone to recognize the physical size of the image, and if it is smaller than the 480X320 it presents the image as actual size on a black background. If it's larger...it optimizes for the screen. This is an issue for apple to fix with the iPhone, IMO.

Many many people have argued for MMS because their freinds do not have email on their phone. Now your telling me that even if I had mms and received a pic from a "dumb" phone that it would be a bad pic?
    No, not at all, I'm just saying in some instances, and most likely it is gonna be pics that are attached to jokes, the pics are gonna be blurry. If it is a photo taken by the camera in the phone, it will most likely be fine, unless their service provider scales the pics. All the photos I receive from my wife, taken with her bold, come out fine.
    08-17-2009 07:42 PM

Sounds like it is a technology that is on it's way out the door. And not something I want on my phone.

Btw I am sure a pic sent IPhone to IPhone would rock! But if you have an IPhone, you have email! MMS is not needed IMO
    E-mail IS a dated technology dating back to the 60's, MMS came about this decade.
    08-17-2009 10:50 PM
    @ redbeard. So you had email on your phone in the 60's! You rock!

Anyway back to the topic. I had heard that some phones actually reduced the size of the pic to send it.
    08-17-2009 11:31 PM
    Ha, the point is that e-mail is hit or miss, and time consuming, and it does nothing for us when somebody sends us a MMS and we have to go to that horrible AT&T website to view it.

People that have smart phones are far fewer than those that have regular "dumb" phones, and I'm not aware of another phone made in recent years that doesn't have MMS other than the iphone.

Everytime I e-mail a pic to someone with an iphone I then have to send them a text message telling them to check their e-mail, you don't have to do that with MMS. And we will get them just like everybody else, no viewmymessage crap to deal with anymore, and that, to me, is what makes MMS light years ahead of e-mail for sending pictures. And due to my hobbies, MMS is something I would use all throughout the day, and I look forward to it. I just doubt whether AT&T will live up to their promise of MMS by the end of summer, I think those rats will pull a fast one and make us wait even longer.
    08-18-2009 02:17 AM
    again, how does this pertain to the topic. do you know how to make the pics not blurry? do you have a theory? does the blurry pics even **** you off? please lets keep on topic.
    08-18-2009 10:12 AM
    now I have to say, my emails are ok, its just the MMS being blurry thats the problem.

I sent one from myself to myself, and one from my wifes iphone to my iphone and it still comes blurry.

Is this the Iphone problem or T-mobile's

I wish someone had an answer
    08-18-2009 04:25 PM
    I read this this morning

Pics come in HORRIBLE resolution!

I remember a post i found when I was using a nokia e61 on tmobile that if tmobile doesn't have the phone listed as supported, it automatically resizes the image to 160x120

so this is why receiving pics with the iPhone messages app are so bad.
    I hope there is someone whom can hack the iPhone so it sends out a fake device profile to your carrier so we could receive pictures in better resolution.. in SwirlyMMS I had to set up the device as a Motorola V300 or something or the Nokia profile, and the pics came out great... lets get this rolling for the stock apple MMS settings someone! Please!

I also noticed that pics viewed in "full screen" usually look horrible because the iPhone has a much larger screen and resolution than most of the phones sending mms. So it's putting really small pics and filling up your screen with them.
    Some of you may have not read the full topic. Shutter brings up a very point here with the post he found. When you send an mms message to an iPhone, T-Mobile may be downgrading the quality of the pic because it's not a phone that the system recognizes. When the system receives a pic that is the same resolution as the iPhone screen, it downsized it. Then the iPhone puts it full screen, and it's blurry. It's a problem with the system, not the iPhone. It's seems to be a matter of fooling the system into thinking the iPhone is a phone the system does recognize. The poster mentions something about swirlymms, which is something I'm going to do research on. I would prefer something that we could do to make it work rather then fooling the system, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Pharoh
    Last edited by Pharoh; 08-24-2009 at 01:33 AM.
    08-24-2009 01:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD