Predictive typing changed in OS3.0?

viral

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a difference in the predictive typing and what get changed since upgrading to 3.0? Some simple things like 'lol' used to change to 'LOL', but it's also not fixing some actual typing errors that it used to fix. Does anyone know if the learning algorithm apple uses changed in this version? Did I accidentally change some setting I'm unaware of? It's not turned off, it does fix some typos some of the time. It's just not as aggressive as it used to be maybe..?

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I've always thought the "predictive" typing, if you can call it that, sucks. My cheap phone that I had before was better than iphone for predicting my typing, by far.

smchrist2

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
iPhone has the best "by far". It even if u haven't noticed, prevents you from typing the keys around the only letter that you could type to make a word in the dictionary. Try it out. Actually I do think it does it anymore. My bad...
But it still has the best "by far"

itoine

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Yea I feel that the predictive typing is a bit lazy after the update but it still works though. I actually like that they capitalize lol and SMS and MSG and other short abreviations!

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Will apple be coming back out with another update soon to fix all of the issues people hace been complaining about? The fact that I delete emails and they show up in iPhones new search function bugs the hell out of me !!!!

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Will apple be coming back out with another update soon to fix all of the issues people hace been complaining about? The fact that I delete emails and they show up in iPhones new search function bugs the hell out of me !!!!

You would have to empty your mail trash to completely get rid of them.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's less aggressive and it has also been expanded to include many more words. There are a LOT of scientific words and names and hundreds of names and words from art and art history which were not present before! I've noticed this from use. It's a lot more helpful taking notes now!

Corrina

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
That was one of the first things I noticed, the corrective text not working the same. I hope they fix it in a future update because God knows I need it!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It does seem less "agressive" in correction. I like that it doesn't make lol into LOL, I always had to change it manually and it would never learn that I didn't want LOL.

I think I like it, more like when the iPhone first came out.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
In the previous phone, if I typed "iphone" it would change it to "iPhone". This one it doesn't.

Chris

I think this version just learns more from what you type. I used to type out "iPhone" but now if I type "iphone" it changes it for me to "iPhone."

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
iPhone has the best "by far". It even if u haven't noticed, prevents you from typing the keys around the only letter that you could type to make a word in the dictionary. Try it out. Actually I do think it does it anymore. My bad...
But it still has the best "by far"

Too bad they don't have a predictive grammar checker. :rolleyes:

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
You would have to empty your mail trash to completely get rid of them.

I have completely emptied the mail trash and can still find emails by searching in Spotlight. I can't see the deleted emails when searching in the email app though. It's very strange. Since Spotlight can find them and I can read them, they must be occupying space.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Is that possible yet? haha we'll see in the next 10 years.
english has no rules, that would be very hard to implement smoothly.

You do know I was being sarcastic to the dumb*** response, correct? He sounded like some kid that had only ever had one cell phone and that one phone was an iPhone. My last cell phone would list a number of words as soon as I started typing, which would gradually decrease until I was finished. If I made a typo, in say the 2nd letter, I could choose from how ever many words the dictionary thought I meant to type. The iPhone just gives you whatever word it comes up with, which was the point of my response, but the dumb***, since he's only ever used one phone, doesn't know any different. Anyway, I wished they'd improve the predictive typing, but they probably won't, and all-in-all, I can live with that.

viral

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Is that possible yet? haha we'll see in the next 10 years.
english has no rules, that would be very hard to implement smoothly.

And even though that was a reply to a rhetorical question :p, I'd point out that MS Word does have rudimentary Grammar checking. It's by no means comprehensive, but it at least keeps the simple issues (punctuation, incorrect verb tense, etc) to a minimum.

Back on topic, I can live without some of the auto caps, but it's allowing some really big mistakes through for me now, it seems. Oh well, I guess I need to get more accurate anyway and quit relying on it to type for me :p