What does tethering actually do?

viral

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Tethering turns your cell phone into a broadband modem for your computer/laptop. You can connect to your iphone via bluetooth or usb cable whenever you need internet access on your laptop, allowing it to use the AT&T 3G data network for its access.

amorok

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
That is total garbage. I'm paying for an UNLIMITED DATA PLAN. That means I should be getting unlimited data. If I'm using more than they anticipated then how is that my problem? A woman can sue Mcdonald's for her coffee being hot but we can't get some legal action over this? Bogus.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
is tethering going to be free when AT&T allows it?
Thanks!

What evidence is there that AT&T will allow it? Have I missed something.

Because AT&T does not permit tethering, I have a Verizon MiFi card. I would much rather pay AT&T for tethering on the iPhone. Of course, those who Jailbreak get tethering for free.

Apparently, they would rather be exploited by a few than do business with the many.

fireballnc

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
AT&T does allow it as I have it included within the data plan of one of my lines. For a short time, AT&T offered unlimited tethering as part of a data plan. I have two iPhones and a treo in my plan and solely use the treo for tethering. The only downside is you must be on their network which is hard to do in the Midwest states.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
AT&T does allow it as I have it included within the data plan of one of my lines. For a short time, AT&T offered unlimited tethering as part of a data plan. I have two iPhones and a treo in my plan and solely use the treo for tethering. The only downside is you must be on their network which is hard to do in the Midwest states.
It is true that AT&T does permit tethering. However, that is not the issue for this thread. What is relevant here is that AT&T engages in an agreement in restraint of trade with Apple to prevent it on the iPhone. That is why PDANet works as well on a jailbroken iPhone as it does on our Treos. Bypass the Apple controls and you are golden.

It is not clear whether tethering is covered in the special rate plan for the iPhone. What is clear is that AT&T has no controls in place, other than Apple, to resist it.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
What evidence is there that AT&T will allow it? Have I missed something.

Because AT&T does not permit tethering, I have a Verizon MiFi card. I would much rather pay AT&T for tethering on the iPhone. Of course, those who Jailbreak get tethering for free.

Apparently, they would rather be exploited by a few than do business with the many.

Tethering is NOT free with a JB iPhone. You are STILL paying for the iPhone Data plan.:rolleyes:

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
It's possible that AT&T will let you use it without extra fees, Rogers let's me officialy tether for free. For know I reccomend myfi from cydia because it creates a real wifi network so you can connect other gadgets.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner