is tethering going to be free when AT&T allows it?
    Thanks!
    06-24-2009 10:35 AM
    One thing is that it allows you to hook up your laptop when you don't have wi-fi access.
    06-24-2009 10:37 AM
    Its AT$T, do you really think they would let us use it for free?
    06-24-2009 10:38 AM
    Its AT$T, do you really think they would let us use it for free?
    Really!!

Of course none of the carriers give it to you for free even though we have "Unlimited" (whatever) Data!
    06-24-2009 10:58 AM
    Tethering turns your cell phone into a broadband modem for your computer/laptop. You can connect to your iphone via bluetooth or usb cable whenever you need internet access on your laptop, allowing it to use the AT&T 3G data network for its access.
    06-24-2009 11:16 AM
    What is tethering?
    11-15-2009 09:25 PM
    Justy - read the post directly above yours for the answer to your question.
    11-15-2009 09:49 PM
    I'm sure it will be $30 extra like every other carrier whenever they offer it.
    11-16-2009 09:10 AM
    That is total garbage. I'm paying for an UNLIMITED DATA PLAN. That means I should be getting unlimited data. If I'm using more than they anticipated then how is that my problem? A woman can sue Mcdonald's for her coffee being hot but we can't get some legal action over this? Bogus.
    11-16-2009 02:59 PM
    It's called BIG BROTHER
    11-17-2009 09:19 PM
    is tethering going to be free when AT&T allows it?
    Thanks!
    What evidence is there that AT&T will allow it? Have I missed something.

Because AT&T does not permit tethering, I have a Verizon MiFi card. I would much rather pay AT&T for tethering on the iPhone. Of course, those who Jailbreak get tethering for free.

Apparently, they would rather be exploited by a few than do business with the many.
    11-17-2009 10:23 PM
    AT&T does allow it as I have it included within the data plan of one of my lines. For a short time, AT&T offered unlimited tethering as part of a data plan. I have two iPhones and a treo in my plan and solely use the treo for tethering. The only downside is you must be on their network which is hard to do in the Midwest states.
    11-17-2009 10:49 PM
    AT&T does allow it as I have it included within the data plan of one of my lines. For a short time, AT&T offered unlimited tethering as part of a data plan. I have two iPhones and a treo in my plan and solely use the treo for tethering. The only downside is you must be on their network which is hard to do in the Midwest states.
    It is true that AT&T does permit tethering. However, that is not the issue for this thread. What is relevant here is that AT&T engages in an agreement in restraint of trade with Apple to prevent it on the iPhone. That is why PDANet works as well on a jailbroken iPhone as it does on our Treos. Bypass the Apple controls and you are golden.

It is not clear whether tethering is covered in the special rate plan for the iPhone. What is clear is that AT&T has no controls in place, other than Apple, to resist it.
    11-18-2009 09:42 AM
    One thing is that it allows you to hook up your laptop when you don't have wi-fi access.
    You can create an ADD-Hock and connect that way. Do it all the time.
    11-18-2009 12:44 PM
    What evidence is there that AT&T will allow it? Have I missed something.

Because AT&T does not permit tethering, I have a Verizon MiFi card. I would much rather pay AT&T for tethering on the iPhone. Of course, those who Jailbreak get tethering for free.

Apparently, they would rather be exploited by a few than do business with the many.

Tethering is NOT free with a JB iPhone. You are STILL paying for the iPhone Data plan.
    11-18-2009 12:51 PM
    It's possible that AT&T will let you use it without extra fees, Rogers let's me officialy tether for free. For know I reccomend myfi from cydia because it creates a real wifi network so you can connect other gadgets.
    11-18-2009 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD