So My iPhone Screen Scratched , Oleophobic Coat To Blame ?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
After having an iPhone 3G for a year with no problems, my 3Gs now has some slights scratches/scuff marks on two corners of the glass. :(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
People are just having some bad luck. This "coating" or whatever you want to call it is bonded within the glass and it has nothing to do with screens being scratched. Simply because it is glass does not mean it can not be scratched.

I have a question for those of you with scratched screens... do you use a case that does not protect the screen what so ever?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
- My iPhone was purchased Saturday afternoon about 1:30pm ( PST )
- I picked up 2 incase cases, the powerslider and one of the normal sliders
- No screen protector, but the cases to cover the bezel
- The phone was always placed face up on hard surfaces
- The phone was not even in my pocket at all, most of the time it sat on the desk while I was outside entertaining guests.
- Where this scratch came from I am out of ideas, unless it was there from the start and I just didn't notice it b/c I had the screen on most the time and I can only see it at odd angles.

I am picking up a screen protector today at lunch.

gtobynj

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
People are just having some bad luck. This "coating" or whatever you want to call it is bonded within the glass and it has nothing to do with screens being scratched. Simply because it is glass does not mean it can not be scratched.

I have a question for those of you with scratched screens... do you use a case that does not protect the screen what so ever?

I don't think so. Either there are a lot of units with "soft" screens or the 3GS screen scratches a lot more easily.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't think so. Either there are a lot of units with "soft" screens or the 3GS screen scratches a lot more easily.

You forgot the more likely of answers... you just scratched it. Has nothing to do with "soft" screens or it scratching more "easily". You can find just as many people with iPhone 3G screens that are scratched. It happens. Again, it has nothing to do with this screen in particular. Trust me. And if you have a scratched screen, I feel your pain but something obviously scratched it. Just does not appear out of no where. If it bothers you so much you can always have your screen replaced or try going into a Apple store and see what they tell you if you say that your screen is "soft". Worst thing they can say is "no, we won't replace it for you".

Proco2020

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I took my screen protector off yesterday after listening to a podcast that said a screen protector would/could remove the coating. The screen looks OK and I wondered what peoples opinion was on this?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was the coating.

I didn't have a screen protector because I liked the coating (a lot, actually). My mistake.

Chris

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was the coating.

I didn't have a screen protector because I liked the coating (a lot, actually). My mistake.

Chris

I didn't mean to imply that you implied it was the coating. :) I was simply going along with the topic of the thread.

qawsed

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Guys a coating ontop of a glass screen DOES make it scratch easier. Its the same when you buy a watch with an anti glare coating, glass is hard to scratch but the polymer coating on top of the glass can scratch and give the appearance of scratches but in reality the glass underneath is probably not scratched at all.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
The fact is is that it is a type of plastic that is bonded to the glass. Correct me if I am wring here, but isn't plastic softer than glass? Especially a thin piece of plastic that is bonded to a hard surface that does not give.

This is a good thread because I think people should be aware that the possibility exists that the screen may get scratches more easily than glass alone. (It would be nice to see a conclusive test of this). So be careful peoples!

qawsed

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, glass is by its nature hard to scratch but the coating is softer and so will scratch. Im open to correction but pretty sure thats the case. I wonder can the coating be removed easily? My chemistry is a bit rusty but removing a polymer coating from glass shouldnt be too hard!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ok, I am done with this thread after this post. :) If you have scratches and it bothers you, bring it to a Apple store and ask for a replacement.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Seems to work fine for me. I was thinking of getting a case yesterday and the apple store guy actually talked me out of. Was talking about how durable the screen was, and even took his key and tried to scratch the screen to no avail.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
My screen is still flawless too. But I am super careful!

Hopefully it is just as durable as it's non coated brother. Sure would be nice to see a conclusive test.

maverick96

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You must be joking me? A replacement screen becouse you scratched it... what are you on?!

The Apple store can replace the screen on the iPhone, more than likely for the $199 charge but it is possible they would do it for free if you could prove somehow that the coating was to blame...

Christinme7890

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
yeah i had my iphone 3g for a long time and dropped it many times and never even scratched the screen. I got my 3gs the day it came out and a week ago I scratched the screen and I didn't even drop the thing. I am clueless to how the scratch got there because I am pretty careful when it comes to my iphone. I didn't drop it. I don't put sharp objects near it. I don't know how it could have happened. It is a small scratch about 1/2 inch at the bottom left side. Not sure if it is the new screen or what.