So My iPhone Screen Scratched , Oleophobic Coat To Blame ?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Before we all come to the undisputed conclusion that the coating increases the likelihood of scratches, let's remember this is one isolated instance. If this same situation starts to impact other iphone customers across the country maybe there is some truth to this assertion.

Until then, it sounds like the OP had the misfortune of dropping his phone and the end result is a scratch.

What does OP mean ? I've been seeingghis germ being thrown around.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Dropping a phone is always the worst feeling ever.

That is... until you discover no scratches!
Then it's like you won the lottery- I dropped mine without a case, had it it the edge of the a table and hit a carpted (thankfully) floor. No scratches or anything... whew!

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
The coating wouldn't have anything to do with it scratching. If anything...the coating would probably help prevent scratches as you now have a polymer OVER the screen.

As someone else said, maybe there's a scratch in the coating.

And yes, you could possibly get the coating off with a solvent such as alcohol, which would eat away at the coating.

I don't know how good of an idea that would be, as it would probably take quite a bit of effort to get it out. Have you tried buffing it with just an LCD cloth to see if it smooths out?

From what I see, that coating is pretty much bonded to the screen, so getting it off would probably be a task, but having taken several chem classes, alcohol will slowly eat away at any polymer, but it probably won't do it quickly.

I think that's why apple changed the cleaning directions for the 3G S. They used to tell you with the 1st gen and the 3G that you could use a lightly damp cloth, with the 3G S they tell you to use a dry cloth, nothing wet. I'm pretty sure that's why.

bosox0898

May 24, 2009
Visit site
I would have to agree with the fact that the coating makes the screen easier to scratch. Any soft polymer over a harder and therefore denser surface would be easier to damage than said polymer by it self. It's like clear coat and flex additive on a car, it protects the paint from minor damage and weathering but in doing so sometimes gets damaged in protecting the paint and metal underneath it. The oleophobic coating is a great idea, it just means to be more careful with the screen, IMO.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine who also got the 3GS had the nuts to do a scratch test. Pushing with full force with a razorknife with the razor's corner left no scratch. I am not going to try this on mine though.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
The coating wouldn't have anything to do with it scratching. If anything...the coating would probably help prevent scratches as you now have a polymer OVER the screen.

As someone else said, maybe there's a scratch in the coating.

And yes, you could possibly get the coating off with a solvent such as alcohol, which would eat away at the coating.

I don't know how good of an idea that would be, as it would probably take quite a bit of effort to get it out. Have you tried buffing it with just an LCD cloth to see if it smooths out?

From what I see, that coating is pretty much bonded to the screen, so getting it off would probably be a task, but having taken several chem classes, alcohol will slowly eat away at any polymer, but it probably won't do it quickly.

I think that's why apple changed the cleaning directions for the 3G S. They used to tell you with the 1st gen and the 3G that you could use a lightly damp cloth, with the 3G S they tell you to use a dry cloth, nothing wet. I'm pretty sure that's why.

Oh okay. Interesting. I'll try wiping it with a the cloth that came with my iMac n see if that eventually works.

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Oh my god! OP is a clumsy person and blames the screen coating for it getting scratched. The world will end! It's called chaos theory my friend. It happens. Drop the phone from a height of 4ft ten times and it will hit the floor ten ways. It'll skitter , it'll scratch. Crack splinter. Stop looking for excuses my friend.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I know some people think using a damp cloth would some how be bad to use but it's not. Also, a product like iKlear would be safe to use as well. I would avoid stuff like Windex though.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
YouTube - iPhone 3GS Torture Tests! (Screen)

The oleophobic coating will not scratch either. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Bill Nye does not know how the oleophobic solution on the iPhone was implemented. If it was as he said, then that would have produced scratches.

The kid starts off with the pencil, then moves onto other metal objects. I'd say it's conclusive.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
That was not a test! A real test would compare the two screens and find which screen would scratch first under increasing pressure.

That child was just lightly tapping the phone of course that will do nothing. Duh. I also can find no evidence in this silly video that suggest that bill nye doesn't know what he's talking about. Careful who you chose to believe.

ardoreal

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
That was not a test! A real test would compare the two screens and find which screen would scratch first under increasing pressure.

That child was just lightly tapping the phone of course that will do nothing. Duh. I also can find no evidence in this silly video that suggest that bill nye doesn't know what he's talking about. Careful who you chose to believe.

I hear ya on most of that video, the part I'm paying attention to is the part where he takes the tags and necklace and rubs it on the screen.

gtobynj

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
It does scratch easily

I have had an iPod touch since september 07 and have abused the heck out of it and it lived in my pocket with keys, coins etc. and the screen is pristine (the rest of it isn't).

I got my 3Gs and a belt holster thingy and decided to put the Invisishield on it. What a mistake that was! I managed to put a 3/4 of an inch scratch through the middle of the screen as I tried to put the the stupid stuff on - I guess the table wasn't as clean as I thought!

So unless I have a screen that was imperfect from the factory and not correctly sealed or something, beware, the new screen scratches very, very easily.:(

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I noticed a little scratch on my screen and the thing has been babied since I picked it up on Saturday afternoon. My nail even catches on the scratch. I'm not sure what happened :(