Exactly, glass is by its nature hard to scratch but the coating is softer and so will scratch. Im open to correction but pretty sure thats the case. I wonder can the coating be removed easily? My chemistry is a bit rusty but removing a polymer coating from glass shouldnt be too hard!
    07-13-2009 07:15 PM
    Ok, I am done with this thread after this post. If you have scratches and it bothers you, bring it to a Apple store and ask for a replacement.
    07-13-2009 08:09 PM
    Seems to work fine for me. I was thinking of getting a case yesterday and the apple store guy actually talked me out of. Was talking about how durable the screen was, and even took his key and tried to scratch the screen to no avail.
    07-13-2009 10:37 PM
    My screen is still flawless too. But I am super careful!

Hopefully it is just as durable as it's non coated brother. Sure would be nice to see a conclusive test.
    07-14-2009 12:07 AM
    Ok, I am done with this thread after this post. If you have scratches and it bothers you, bring it to a Apple store and ask for a replacement.
    You must be joking me? A replacement screen becouse you scratched it... what are you on?!
    07-14-2009 05:52 AM
    You must be joking me? A replacement screen becouse you scratched it... what are you on?!
    The Apple store can replace the screen on the iPhone, more than likely for the $199 charge but it is possible they would do it for free if you could prove somehow that the coating was to blame...
    07-14-2009 08:46 AM
    yeah i had my iphone 3g for a long time and dropped it many times and never even scratched the screen. I got my 3gs the day it came out and a week ago I scratched the screen and I didn't even drop the thing. I am clueless to how the scratch got there because I am pretty careful when it comes to my iphone. I didn't drop it. I don't put sharp objects near it. I don't know how it could have happened. It is a small scratch about 1/2 inch at the bottom left side. Not sure if it is the new screen or what.
    07-14-2009 08:51 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD