The coating wouldn't have anything to do with it scratching. If anything...the coating would probably help prevent scratches as you now have a polymer OVER the screen.

As someone else said, maybe there's a scratch in the coating.

And yes, you could possibly get the coating off with a solvent such as alcohol, which would eat away at the coating.

I don't know how good of an idea that would be, as it would probably take quite a bit of effort to get it out. Have you tried buffing it with just an LCD cloth to see if it smooths out?

From what I see, that coating is pretty much bonded to the screen, so getting it off would probably be a task, but having taken several chem classes, alcohol will slowly eat away at any polymer, but it probably won't do it quickly.

I think that's why apple changed the cleaning directions for the 3G S. They used to tell you with the 1st gen and the 3G that you could use a lightly damp cloth, with the 3G S they tell you to use a dry cloth, nothing wet. I'm pretty sure that's why.
    06-28-2009 12:38 PM
    I would have to agree with the fact that the coating makes the screen easier to scratch. Any soft polymer over a harder and therefore denser surface would be easier to damage than said polymer by it self. It's like clear coat and flex additive on a car, it protects the paint from minor damage and weathering but in doing so sometimes gets damaged in protecting the paint and metal underneath it. The oleophobic coating is a great idea, it just means to be more careful with the screen, IMO.
    06-28-2009 02:57 PM
    What is oleophobic?
    06-28-2009 03:05 PM
    Oil resistant
    06-28-2009 03:52 PM
    A friend of mine who also got the 3GS had the nuts to do a scratch test. Pushing with full force with a razorknife with the razor's corner left no scratch. I am not going to try this on mine though.
    07-02-2009 11:00 PM
    The coating wouldn't have anything to do with it scratching. If anything...the coating would probably help prevent scratches as you now have a polymer OVER the screen.

As someone else said, maybe there's a scratch in the coating.

And yes, you could possibly get the coating off with a solvent such as alcohol, which would eat away at the coating.

I don't know how good of an idea that would be, as it would probably take quite a bit of effort to get it out. Have you tried buffing it with just an LCD cloth to see if it smooths out?

From what I see, that coating is pretty much bonded to the screen, so getting it off would probably be a task, but having taken several chem classes, alcohol will slowly eat away at any polymer, but it probably won't do it quickly.

I think that's why apple changed the cleaning directions for the 3G S. They used to tell you with the 1st gen and the 3G that you could use a lightly damp cloth, with the 3G S they tell you to use a dry cloth, nothing wet. I'm pretty sure that's why.

Oh okay. Interesting. I'll try wiping it with a the cloth that came with my iMac n see if that eventually works.

Thanks.
    07-03-2009 12:06 AM
    no, you're unlucky
    07-03-2009 02:42 AM
    Oh my god! OP is a clumsy person and blames the screen coating for it getting scratched. The world will end! It's called chaos theory my friend. It happens. Drop the phone from a height of 4ft ten times and it will hit the floor ten ways. It'll skitter , it'll scratch. Crack splinter. Stop looking for excuses my friend.
    07-03-2009 10:08 AM
    I know some people think using a damp cloth would some how be bad to use but it's not. Also, a product like iKlear would be safe to use as well. I would avoid stuff like Windex though.
    07-03-2009 11:45 AM

The oleophobic coating will not scratch either. In fact I'd go so far as to say that Bill Nye does not know how the oleophobic solution on the iPhone was implemented. If it was as he said, then that would have produced scratches.

The kid starts off with the pencil, then moves onto other metal objects. I'd say it's conclusive.
    07-07-2009 02:15 PM
    That was not a test! A real test would compare the two screens and find which screen would scratch first under increasing pressure.

That child was just lightly tapping the phone of course that will do nothing. Duh. I also can find no evidence in this silly video that suggest that bill nye doesn't know what he's talking about. Careful who you chose to believe.
    07-07-2009 07:30 PM
    That was not a test! A real test would compare the two screens and find which screen would scratch first under increasing pressure.

That child was just lightly tapping the phone of course that will do nothing. Duh. I also can find no evidence in this silly video that suggest that bill nye doesn't know what he's talking about. Careful who you chose to believe.
    I hear ya on most of that video, the part I'm paying attention to is the part where he takes the tags and necklace and rubs it on the screen.
    07-07-2009 10:18 PM
    Those were the type of beads that roll. I am sorry but it does not rally give me any good info.
    07-07-2009 10:41 PM
    I have had an iPod touch since september 07 and have abused the heck out of it and it lived in my pocket with keys, coins etc. and the screen is pristine (the rest of it isn't).

I got my 3Gs and a belt holster thingy and decided to put the Invisishield on it. What a mistake that was! I managed to put a 3/4 of an inch scratch through the middle of the screen as I tried to put the the stupid stuff on - I guess the table wasn't as clean as I thought!

So unless I have a screen that was imperfect from the factory and not correctly sealed or something, beware, the new screen scratches very, very easily.
    07-13-2009 10:45 AM
    I noticed a little scratch on my screen and the thing has been babied since I picked it up on Saturday afternoon. My nail even catches on the scratch. I'm not sure what happened
    07-13-2009 02:21 PM
    After having an iPhone 3G for a year with no problems, my 3Gs now has some slights scratches/scuff marks on two corners of the glass.
    07-13-2009 02:29 PM
    People are just having some bad luck. This "coating" or whatever you want to call it is bonded within the glass and it has nothing to do with screens being scratched. Simply because it is glass does not mean it can not be scratched.

I have a question for those of you with scratched screens... do you use a case that does not protect the screen what so ever?
    07-13-2009 02:45 PM
    - My iPhone was purchased Saturday afternoon about 1:30pm ( PST )
    - I picked up 2 incase cases, the powerslider and one of the normal sliders
    - No screen protector, but the cases to cover the bezel
    - The phone was always placed face up on hard surfaces
    - The phone was not even in my pocket at all, most of the time it sat on the desk while I was outside entertaining guests.
    - Where this scratch came from I am out of ideas, unless it was there from the start and I just didn't notice it b/c I had the screen on most the time and I can only see it at odd angles.

I am picking up a screen protector today at lunch.
    07-13-2009 03:12 PM
    People are just having some bad luck. This "coating" or whatever you want to call it is bonded within the glass and it has nothing to do with screens being scratched. Simply because it is glass does not mean it can not be scratched.

I have a question for those of you with scratched screens... do you use a case that does not protect the screen what so ever?
    I don't think so. Either there are a lot of units with "soft" screens or the 3GS screen scratches a lot more easily.
    07-13-2009 03:21 PM
    I don't think so. Either there are a lot of units with "soft" screens or the 3GS screen scratches a lot more easily.
    You forgot the more likely of answers... you just scratched it. Has nothing to do with "soft" screens or it scratching more "easily". You can find just as many people with iPhone 3G screens that are scratched. It happens. Again, it has nothing to do with this screen in particular. Trust me. And if you have a scratched screen, I feel your pain but something obviously scratched it. Just does not appear out of no where. If it bothers you so much you can always have your screen replaced or try going into a Apple store and see what they tell you if you say that your screen is "soft". Worst thing they can say is "no, we won't replace it for you".
    07-13-2009 04:27 PM
    I took my screen protector off yesterday after listening to a podcast that said a screen protector would/could remove the coating. The screen looks OK and I wondered what peoples opinion was on this?
    07-13-2009 04:50 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was the coating.

I didn't have a screen protector because I liked the coating (a lot, actually). My mistake.

Chris
    07-13-2009 05:06 PM
    Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it was the coating.

I didn't have a screen protector because I liked the coating (a lot, actually). My mistake.

Chris
    I didn't mean to imply that you implied it was the coating. I was simply going along with the topic of the thread.
    07-13-2009 05:08 PM
    Guys a coating ontop of a glass screen DOES make it scratch easier. Its the same when you buy a watch with an anti glare coating, glass is hard to scratch but the polymer coating on top of the glass can scratch and give the appearance of scratches but in reality the glass underneath is probably not scratched at all.
    07-13-2009 07:04 PM
    The fact is is that it is a type of plastic that is bonded to the glass. Correct me if I am wring here, but isn't plastic softer than glass? Especially a thin piece of plastic that is bonded to a hard surface that does not give.

This is a good thread because I think people should be aware that the possibility exists that the screen may get scratches more easily than glass alone. (It would be nice to see a conclusive test of this). So be careful peoples!
    07-13-2009 07:08 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD