One big dissapointment with 3.0:

dcharles

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Inability to change email alert tone!!

C'mon Apple, you brag about how many millions of iPhones you have sold, yet one of the main functions people use it for is not customizable. It is really annoying hearing the new mail alert and always having to grab my phone to see if it was mine or not. Especially at home since my wife and I both have iPhones. We're constantly saying, "was that yours or mine?". Additionally, that sound has become so recognizable, I was sitting in a meeting once when I got an email, and before I even had the phone out the person sitting next to me asked how I liked my iPhone. I shouldn't have to jailbreak just to change my email alert. We can do it with SMS and ringtones, why not emails?

macdripper

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I agree with dcharles, iPhone cost a lot of money and that simple feature simply not available to users like us. Is that too much to ask from Apple???

dcharles

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I wasn't looking for criticism, just making a statement. No research should have been required for such a thing, the most basic phones out there do this. And for the record, I did do research, tons of it. I began reading this site and others like it very early last year. I purchased my 3G during launch weekend and have been very happy with it for nearly a year. Besides, I'm not going to bag my choice of a phone based off of one annoyance. If you don't have anything legitimate to contribute other than ragging on people, perhaps you should just refrain from posting?

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't looking for criticism, just making a statement. No research should have been required for such a thing, the most basic phones out there do this. And for the record, I did do research, tons of it. I began reading this site and others like it very early last year. I purchased my 3G during launch weekend and have been very happy with it for nearly a year. Besides, I'm not going to bag my choice of a phone based off of one annoyance. If you don't have anything legitimate to contribute other than ragging on people, perhaps you should just refrain from posting?

Well you bought your iPhone without so don't complain now.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
So in other words we're not supposed to ever request improvements? I hate to see what the world would look like if everyone subscribed to your philosophy. Bugger off!!

Yes you can but apple does not have to released updates they can leave you with what you bought it with.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
i agree with being able to use different notifications for email. not because everyone else has the same one, but becuase i cant hear mine sometimes when it goes off. i'd be happy if i could choose one of the notifications from the sms alerts even.

Kannon#AC

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree. More customization of alerts/tones would be nice. I don't see why that guy was so hostile towards you. I guess some fanboys refuse to accept that Apple doesn't always get everything perfect.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice to have a calendar alert too. Maybe one that you can hear.

It's summer. School is out. Ignore children in forums.