3GS Battery Life

JOEY NEAT

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The Usage under General Settings says, Usage 2 Hours, 51 Minutes and Standby 9 Hours, 22 Minutes. This is since last charge, battery life is at 45%.
Apple's site says Talk time:Up to 12 hours on 2G Up to 5 hours on 3G
Standby time: Up to 300 hours! It doesn't appear to be accurate. Is anyone else see their battery dropping this quickly?

joliveria

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Yeah mine is dropping pretty quick but Ive been using it pretty heavily. I'm curious about the stand by time. Not that I plan on not touching my phone for 12 days to test it.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The Usage under General Settings says, Usage 2 Hours, 51 Minutes and Standby 9 Hours, 22 Minutes. This is since last charge, battery life is at 45%.
Standby time: Up to 300 hours! It doesn't appear to be accurate. Is anyone else see their battery dropping this quickly?

Just to be accurate the Apple site does not say talk time is improved at all while using 3G. It's just improved when using WiFi, watching video, and listening to music. (EDGE talk time as well I think)

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site

That sounds like a pretty decent amount of battery life to me, even if it isn't up to specs. That is more than 12 hours of time passed with nearly a half a battery left. I don't expect my phone to go multiple days without a charge, so a half battery left after a full day of use is more than sufficient for me.

That being said the battery life on my 3G has been diminished after 3.0. Nearly every night the 20% left alert comes up, whereas it was a rare thing to see before 3.0.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Just to be accurate the Apple site does not say talk time is improved at all while using 3G. It's just improved when using WiFi, watching video, and listening to music. (EDGE talk time as well I think)
Well he didn't say it improved he just said it's supposed to have 5 hours 3G and 12 hours EDGE. the 12 is improved from 10 but the 5 hours 3G is the same as the last generation.

I think the reason why people are having battery troubles right now is because it is a new device and they are having trouble putting the bugger down.

When I first got iPhone 3G I thought the battery sucked but that was because I was using it 100% of the time doing crazy sh~ for no reason just to test it out.

The same holds true for people complaining about Palm Pre's battery I think.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
funny, we had this same message thread about 12 months ago with the 3g...

im sure you can get quite a few days out of it, if you only do voice calls now and then. but take things like games which im sure tax the hell out of the new processor, and other things you do because the phone is new, and you'll get the 8-10 hours of batt life.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Well he didn't say it improved he just said it's supposed to have 5 hours 3G and 12 hours EDGE. the 12 is improved from 10 but the 5 hours 3G is the same as the last generation.

I think the reason why people are having battery troubles right now is because it is a new device and they are having trouble putting the bugger down.

When I first got iPhone 3G I thought the battery sucked but that was because I was using it 100% of the time doing crazy sh~ for no reason just to test it out.

The same holds true for people complaining about Palm Pre's battery I think.

I'm half asleep and read his post wrong. Thought he said it added time to 3G talk time. Either way I added a bit of Apple's claims to the thread... ;)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I've noticed improved battery life in the iPod function. Everything else still seems to drain the battery the same as my 3G.

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Batteries need several charge cycles to reach their full potential. The 3GS hasn't been out long enough for anyone to really know. Last night I did my first full discharge to break in the battery (stayed up till 3:30AM trying everything I could think of to drain it faster!).

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it's the battery indicator or not but I told my friend the same thing today. Bad Ash is right , talk and data are the same under 3G ( 5 hours ). I find my self still turning 3G off. That is why I wish the 3G switch would be in the main menu.

jacaru

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
After upgrading I have noticed more battery drain, even with almost everything that can be turned off, turned off.

If you look at the usage time, it increases even if you have your phone in standby. This is normal if the amount of usage can account for the stuff you have activated, like fetch mail or whatever. But I have been watching this meter and 30% of real standby time drops on the usage time, so it gives me the sensation that the phone is doing more stuff on background than expected. And it heats up on standby too.

As reference, with the previous firmware and same settings, 10% of real standby time accounted for usage time. So, for me, something has surely got worse. It's pitty because its now under the 24 hour that I consider minimum for mobile battery life :(

EDIT: i missed the subject, my ophone is 3G, not 3GS

Last edited:

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
This is my first iPhone so I can't compare it to the 3G, but it can last half a day with 4-5hrs of data use, very little phone use. I have bluetooth & wifi turned off, brightness down to 1/5, 3G on, and today I turned off push and put the fetch setting under manual. I've only drained the battery to death the first day and since then I've been charging at 10%.

It takes some getting used to when you unplug it at 100% and after going online for a few minutes, you're down to 98%.

Today while taking the subway, I was reading a book on the iPhone and thought, why waste energy looking for a signal? So I put it in airplane mode while I was underground. I don't know how much battery life that saves, but I'm underground at least 40min a day.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This is my first iPhone so I can't compare it to the 3G, but it can last half a day with 4-5hrs of data use, very little phone use. I have bluetooth & wifi turned off, brightness down to 1/5, 3G on, and today I turned off push and put the fetch setting under manual. I've only drained the battery to death the first day and since then I've been charging at 10%.

It takes some getting used to when you unplug it at 100% and after going online for a few minutes, you're down to 98%.

Today while taking the subway, I was reading a book on the iPhone and thought, why waste energy looking for a signal? So I put it in airplane mode while I was underground. I don't know how much battery life that saves, but I'm underground at least 40min a day.

It saves a lot more battery than people think. 3G is a killer.

cbs2669#IM

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Seems silly to have a phone with all these capabilities, and then have to not use them or turn all of them off, along with dimming it so much you can't see it...just to get the phone to last a day.

sn328721

May 1, 2009
Visit site
I heard a rumour on a bad batch of batteries and apparently Apple are aware and replacing the phone. Dont shoot the messenger but we need to do some research into this, anybody else heard this?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods