Moving contacts from BB8310 -> 3GS

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hey Guys.
Just prepping for my switch to the iPhone sometime in the middle of this week. I run a business and absolutely cannot loose 1 single contact during the switch.

I am told Apple does it for you.. but I am getting mine in the mail via AT&T. How am I going to go about doing it? I cant even figure out a way to save my contacts from the BB onto my computer (OSX). The 8310 isn't 3G so I don't think that I will be able to save my contacts to the sim.

What are my options? I did some reading and couldn't find any exact instructions (and yes it was in the TiPB help section)

Edit:
I dont know if it matters but I also do NOT have MobileME. I had it when I bought my iMac for 1 year. After 1 year, it expired. The only thing that I used was the .mac email address and a couple photo galleries. I never used anything else so I didnt feel like paying $100 (or is it $60?) for just email when I can get gmail.

Last edited:

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
How do you sync your contacts at the moment? Do you use a company exchange server?

Also...on an off note...what difference would 3G make to saving your contacts to a sim?! Blackberrys just dont do it, i think you can do them 1 by 1 using Sim Manager but thats it, 3G wouldn't make a difference.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Well two ways...

Sync your berry to your Outlook, but then again you have a mac, so the second step might be easier.

Put all your contacts to the sim from the BlackBerry. Then put the sim in the iPhone and go to: Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Scroll to the bottom --> Import SIM Contacts

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Well two ways...

Sync your berry to your Outlook, but then again you have a mac, so the second step might be easier.

Put all your contacts to the sim from the BlackBerry. Then put the sim in the iPhone and go to: Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Scroll to the bottom --> Import SIM Contacts

Hey Duvi, I have a BlackBerry Storm (for VZW obviously) and I'm making the switch this Friday to the 3G S. Apple or AT&T wouldn't be able to do an in-store transfer of contacts for me, would they? Is outlook my only option in terms of getting contacts from my Storm to my 3G S? Like the OP, I can't afford to lose a contact or have any information messed up.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Hey Guys.
Just prepping for my switch to the iPhone sometime in the middle of this week. I run a business and absolutely cannot loose 1 single contact during the switch.

I am told Apple does it for you.. but I am getting mine in the mail via AT&T. How am I going to go about doing it? I cant even figure out a way to save my contacts from the BB onto my computer (OSX).

There is a 3rd party app called The Missing Sync.

BlackBerry Sync Mac - Bluetooth sync for BlackBerry and Mac with iTunes, Entourage, iCal and iPhoto

Thats what I use to get addresses and calendar and tasks (to do's) into my Mac from my BB.

There is another one called Pocket Mac but that has a worse rep..

Is your address book on ANY other system or just on your BB?

I am moving from BB - iPhone too!

Good luck.

Make BACK UP COPIES before you try to move anything..!!

bmfan#IM

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey Duvi, I have a BlackBerry Storm (for VZW obviously) and I'm making the switch this Friday to the 3G S. Apple or AT&T wouldn't be able to do an in-store transfer of contacts for me, would they? Is outlook my only option in terms of getting contacts from my Storm to my 3G S? Like the OP, I can't afford to lose a contact or have any information messed up.

you can use the blackberry desktop manager to sync your contacts to "windows contacts" then sync your iphone from "windows contacts"

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
How do you sync your contacts at the moment? Do you use a company exchange server?

Also...on an off note...what difference would 3G make to saving your contacts to a sim?! Blackberrys just dont do it, i think you can do them 1 by 1 using Sim Manager but thats it, 3G wouldn't make a difference.

Im pretty sure a 3G sim wouldnt fit into my BB to save the contacts onto the 3G sim.

Right now my contacts are only on my Blackberry. I never knew what to use to backup the contacts.

Thanks for the help!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
SIM cards are all the same size...but the iPhone doesn't read contacts off the SIM like other phones can/do so don't even bother.

Best option I'd say is to use the BB software to sync with Windows contacts or Outlook on your PC. Then you can sync that to your iPhone.

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
SIM cards are all the same size...but the iPhone doesn't read contacts off the SIM like other phones can/do so don't even bother.

Best option I'd say is to use the BB software to sync with Windows contacts or Outlook on your PC. Then you can sync that to your iPhone.

Actually, you can go to Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Import SIM Contacts

If you save all of your contacts on your BB to your SIM you can import them on the iPhone - I wasn't able to get the BB Bold to save to SIM though so I synced them to a computer and then synced the iPhone from the computer.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Yeah I've never used a BB but once you get your contacts synced to Mail (I think you can do that just like you can sync to Outlook, heh I'm not a Mac user either, whole heap of help I am!) you can sync them directly to your iPhone via iTunes or (here's a neat little trick that I like) you can copy the file (comma delimited, I think it's called; Google has instructions on their site) to the Google Contacts website! Free, and easy, and if you switch to Gmail (or use it to augment your already existing email acount(s)) you will have it all on one site. Incidentally, I'm a PC user and don't want to fork out the dough for a Mac or a MobileMe account, so I use Google to sync my contacts, email and calendar! I like it a lot.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
How is saving contacts from your BB's SIM card and importing that way less effective than syncing your BB's contacts to outlook or windows contacts? I'm looking to snatch up my 3G S on Friday and the guy on the phone said that if I bring my Storm's SIM card in he could import them to the iPhone

blane64

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I am a noob with the iPhone, but I came from a BB8310, so maybe my experience will help.

I created a BB profile in Outlook, but when i used iTunes to sync my contacts from iTunes, it loaded my default "Outlook" profile, which had a lot of old junk in it. I kept my BB around with a clean set of contacts on it, so I was able to sync them with my Gmail account. This meant I had to go online and empty my Gmail contacts, sync my contacts to Gmail, then use iTunes to sync with Gmail, and got a clean set of contacts on the iPhone. I also also experimented with deleting all the contacts in my default "outlook" profile, and put the BB contacts there, and then synced thru iTunes. It can also be done with Yahoo, it that helps.
My worries about copying to SIM is I have tried that with other phones in the past, and it seemed you only got a name and a number, no idea if it was work home, etc, and not sure if it transfers email, address, fax, etc like a real contact would have.

Good luck running a business over an iPhone. I have been a little frustrated with the messaging implementation of theiPhone so far. The BB was more effecient. The seems to be lot of screen switching back and forth to manage multiple email accounts. And message notification could be improved as well. But maybe it is just that I am a very new user, and need to figure some things out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73