Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a while, ever since I got my 3G and you guys have helped immensely with some issues I've had. I just got my new 3G S and was wondering...is there anyway that I can make/add custom rings when I get a SMS/MMS message? I hate the options that the iphone comes loaded with!

Also, as an TAMU alumni, it's good to see some aggies on here too! ( I think)
    06-20-2009 05:52 PM
    Unfortunately, no
    06-20-2009 05:53 PM
    Would be nice but I'm ok with just a beep.. Just wish there were different beeps then the ones that come on the phone..lol
    06-20-2009 05:55 PM
    Even through jailbreaking? (I know the 3G S jailbreak isn't out yet) Was it possible to do through the 3G via jailbreak though? I guess where I'm getting at is, if it was possible through jailbreak on the 3G I suppose it'll be when the 3G S JB comes out.

Also, anyone have a real good, step-by-step, accurate guide on how to jailbreak the Iphone?
    06-20-2009 05:57 PM
    Yes, you can do that if it is jailbroken with the 3G. When the 3GS is able to be jailbroken, you'll be able to do it.
    06-20-2009 06:38 PM
    What is this "aggie" you mention? Is this a reference to a Division 2A team or something?
    06-20-2009 07:00 PM
    Yeah. It would in fact be since to have but I'm okay with the default ringtones. Whenit comes to phone calls however , that's totally different.
    06-20-2009 09:36 PM
    i agree im fine with the default ringtone. i kinda find it annoying to have a song play everytime i get a text. but calls are different i like having different ones for that.
    06-20-2009 09:40 PM
    i agree im fine with the default ringtone. i kinda find it annoying to have a song play everytime i get a text. but calls are different i like having different ones for that.
    Yes I agree I don't want to hear a song every-time I get a text message.
    06-20-2009 09:43 PM
    Yes I agree I don't want to hear a song every-time I get a text message.
    Especially if your are getting back to back texts because your having multiple conversations lol.
    06-20-2009 09:47 PM
    Especially if your are getting back to back texts because your having multiple conversations lol.
    A Ding once or twice it good for me.
    06-20-2009 09:48 PM
    What is this "aggie" you mention? Is this a reference to a Division 2A team or something?
    As much as I hate that...in terms of football it's so true.

but I only ask because I used to have these little "rings" for my SMS alerts on my old phone. one time i had the ESPN breaking news alert for SMS and recently before my 3GS on my LG Dare, I had some old school StarCraft game sounds for whenever I had an text message. (the siege tank dude: Orders RE-CEIVED")
    06-20-2009 10:18 PM
    I was only teasing ya! I kid around with people on sports. On a huge Vols football fan and a HUUUUUUGE Tar Heel basketball fan.

And no, ringtones for chats and stuff like that just need to be a specific little "eep" or something. I have the Palm Pre ringtone on my iPhone right now. It actually sounds good.
    06-21-2009 06:21 AM
    I'm looking into making the switch to the iPhone. No custom sms isnt a deal breaker but would be nice to have.
    07-06-2009 01:22 PM
    I actually don't like to have Song/Music ringtones, I'm always happy with just the default noises on any phone.
    07-06-2009 06:27 PM
    so I just JB'ed my 3GS!!! Now how do I change the SMS tones? Any specific program that I have to install or anything?
    07-07-2009 08:43 PM
    i was thinking of jailbreaking or pawn it ... but all that just to change some sounds? i heard jailbreaking messes up alot on the phone like push notifications... its too risky for me
    07-07-2009 11:58 PM
    I had mine jailbroken Back In The Day with OS 2.2.1 and wasn't very happy with it. Now with OS 3.0, there's really no need, imho.
    07-08-2009 06:11 AM
    I don't know about that, after updating to 3.0 I was going nuts waiting for the JB to come out, this phone is ten times better Jailbroken. JB on 3.0 is even better with things like copy and paste. Jailbreaking really unlocks the power of the iphone, it's a shame Apple has it so locked down.
    07-08-2009 06:59 AM
    I agree. I haven't noticed that jailbreaking has messed anything up. I get all my notifications just fine, no change to any of the original functionality of the phone. Just a lot of added features that I wouldn't want to do without now. It does slow the phone down slightly, though.

As for the topic, with the phone jailbroken you can even go into your file tree and find the sound files the iPhone uses for notifications. Find one you don't use ever, change the file name by one character, and then save your own custom sound file as the original name. Then just go to settings and select that sound option, and you have your own custom notification sound. It will still list the sound as whatever it does normally in settings, but the sound itself will be your new one. Without knowing anything about programming, that's the easiest way I can think of to do it.
    07-08-2009 11:03 AM
    gotta SSH into it
    07-13-2009 02:11 AM
    I SSHed into it but I could not fine the place to add it. There should be a system file under the Root directory but I was unable to find it. Did it change from the 3GS
    07-14-2009 12:42 AM
    gotta SSH into it
    what does ssh mean?
    07-24-2009 03:30 PM
    A&M all the way! just applied this year, so hopefully ill know for sure if im going by the end of the first semester this year...

I wish apple would do something about this, the only two sounds that you can actually personalize are ringtones and sms, and weve had the same sounds since the original iphone...this is an easy fix for them to idk why they havent done it yet
    07-24-2009 07:30 PM
    I'm new to IPhone but once I was directed in the right direction jailbreaking was EASY. I'm on a PC, not sure if there are any file differences on a Mac but run redsn0w if using Windows:
    1. Go to Apps Data file
    2. Roaming
    3. Apple Computer
    4. iTunes
    5. iPhone Software Update 6. Highlite "IPSW"
    07-25-2009 03:19 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD