Text Message custom ring?

aznmixplate

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a while, ever since I got my 3G and you guys have helped immensely with some issues I've had. I just got my new 3G S and was wondering...is there anyway that I can make/add custom rings when I get a SMS/MMS message? I hate the options that the iphone comes loaded with!

Also, as an TAMU alumni, it's good to see some aggies on here too! ( I think)

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Would be nice but I'm ok with just a beep.. Just wish there were different beeps then the ones that come on the phone..lol

aznmixplate

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Even through jailbreaking? (I know the 3G S jailbreak isn't out yet) Was it possible to do through the 3G via jailbreak though? I guess where I'm getting at is, if it was possible through jailbreak on the 3G I suppose it'll be when the 3G S JB comes out.

Also, anyone have a real good, step-by-step, accurate guide on how to jailbreak the Iphone?

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. It would in fact be since to have but I'm okay with the default ringtones. Whenit comes to phone calls however , that's totally different.

itoine

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
i agree im fine with the default ringtone. i kinda find it annoying to have a song play everytime i get a text. but calls are different i like having different ones for that.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
i agree im fine with the default ringtone. i kinda find it annoying to have a song play everytime i get a text. but calls are different i like having different ones for that.

Yes I agree I don't want to hear a song every-time I get a text message.

aznmixplate

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
What is this "aggie" you mention? Is this a reference to a Division 2A team or something?
:D

As much as I hate that...in terms of football it's so true. :(

but I only ask because I used to have these little "rings" for my SMS alerts on my old phone. one time i had the ESPN breaking news alert for SMS and recently before my 3GS on my LG Dare, I had some old school StarCraft game sounds for whenever I had an text message. (the siege tank dude: Orders RE-CEIVED")

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I was only teasing ya! :) I kid around with people on sports. On a huge Vols football fan and a HUUUUUUGE Tar Heel basketball fan.

And no, ringtones for chats and stuff like that just need to be a specific little "eep" or something. I have the Palm Pre ringtone on my iPhone right now. It actually sounds good.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking into making the switch to the iPhone. No custom sms isnt a deal breaker but would be nice to have.

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
I actually don't like to have Song/Music ringtones, I'm always happy with just the default noises on any phone.

CoryJP

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
i was thinking of jailbreaking or pawn it ... but all that just to change some sounds? i heard jailbreaking messes up alot on the phone like push notifications... its too risky for me

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I had mine jailbroken Back In The Day with OS 2.2.1 and wasn't very happy with it. Now with OS 3.0, there's really no need, imho.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't know about that, after updating to 3.0 I was going nuts waiting for the JB to come out, this phone is ten times better Jailbroken. JB on 3.0 is even better with things like copy and paste. Jailbreaking really unlocks the power of the iphone, it's a shame Apple has it so locked down.

Goldentree

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I haven't noticed that jailbreaking has messed anything up. I get all my notifications just fine, no change to any of the original functionality of the phone. Just a lot of added features that I wouldn't want to do without now. It does slow the phone down slightly, though.

As for the topic, with the phone jailbroken you can even go into your file tree and find the sound files the iPhone uses for notifications. Find one you don't use ever, change the file name by one character, and then save your own custom sound file as the original name. Then just go to settings and select that sound option, and you have your own custom notification sound. It will still list the sound as whatever it does normally in settings, but the sound itself will be your new one. Without knowing anything about programming, that's the easiest way I can think of to do it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro