My Map application is not working properly on the new 3GS. It can not locate me , even close to where I am,,,
    I had a 3G that used to find me exactly where I am, whether at home or work(and it still does)....
    But now with the 3Gs, the blue dot shows anywhere it wants to, usually a mile or 2 away from where I am. This while the old 3G still is precise, where I put them side by side.

Does anyone have the same issue. More importanly does anyone know how to fix this issue as its very annoying.

Thanks
    Last edited by Behshad; 06-20-2009 at 02:02 PM.
    06-20-2009 09:02 AM
    Not having the same problem but i keep having to re-calibrate my compass. It's kind of annoying.
    06-20-2009 09:27 AM
    Not having the same problem but i keep having to re-calibrate my compass. It's kind of annoying.
    What does "re-calibrating the compass" entail and is that necessary to get a fix on Maps? Also, what is happening that you have to re-calibrate the compass so often?
    06-20-2009 09:40 AM
    I've had the same problem. My signal in my house is unreliable, so I figured it was due to that. But I thought that the GPS was not reliant on AT&T's network.
    06-20-2009 11:35 AM
    I've had the same problem. My signal in my house is unreliable, so I figured it was due to that. But I thought that the GPS was not reliant on AT&T's network.
    does yours find you at all??
    is this your 1st iphone or did you upgrade from a 3G??
    06-20-2009 02:03 PM
    1) Do you have location services turned on? That is the GPS, if location services is off, then your using cell tower triangulation which can be off by a long ways.
    2) Is your 3G S activated (I know some people had a problem activating their phones.
    3) Do you have cell signal?
    Re: 2 and 3 the iPhone uses an aGPS chip (assisted GPS), the phone gets an approximate location with the cell towers then the GPS dial in.
    06-20-2009 08:39 PM
    1) Do you have location services turned on? That is the GPS, if location services is off, then your using cell tower triangulation which can be off by a long ways.
    2) Is your 3G S activated (I know some people had a problem activating their phones.
    3) Do you have cell signal?
    Re: 2 and 3 the iPhone uses an aGPS chip (assisted GPS), the phone gets an approximate location with the cell towers then the GPS dial in.
    Hi all. This is my first iPhone (I'm coming from a Sprint Treo 700p). I bought an iPod Touch a few months ago to use as a trial run before signing onto a 2-year AT&T committment.

The AT&T signal in my house is weak, when existent at all. I figured that the GPS was somehow tied to the cell towers, but wasn't clear as to the details of it all. So are you telling me that the cell tower is used to help the GPS get a "general" fix but the GPS then gets a detailed fix (without the need of the towers), or does the GPS always need some amount of cell coverage? To put it another way, if I was using Google maps or a GPS driving app and started my journey with cell coverage and it was able to lock in on my specific location, but then as I traveled I went out of cell coverage, would the GPS continue to work?

FWIW, when I first tried it out, it was pulling in my general location (right town) but was probably five miles off. After retrying several times, it eventually found my specific location. During those retries, it's very likely that I went from having no bars to 1 or 2 bars.

As I was typing this, I gave it a shot again. Again, I started out with no coverage at all and when I tried to get Google Maps to locate my position, it was clocking/spinning for a while. Then the phone was able to find the AT&T signal (about 2 bars) and Google Maps very quickly found my location (and it was accurate).
    06-20-2009 09:22 PM
    The cell towers will get your fix first and show a big circle with your location somewhere in that circle. Once that is done the GPS will kick in and get your exact location (provided you can get a good fix on the satellites) and pinpoint your location within that circle.

It sounds to me me that if the original poster's GPS is way off like that but it is fine on the 3G that he either has a shoddy GPS controller or the software just needs to be reinstalled.

Restore the iPhone software and if that does not fix it, I would say you need to talk to Apple and get it swapped out with a replacement.
    06-20-2009 11:12 PM
    i noticed the compass wont work well if you have a case or holder around the phone and you need a good signal.
    06-20-2009 11:13 PM
    The cell towers will get your fix first and show a big circle with your location somewhere in that circle. Once that is done the GPS will kick in and get your exact location (provided you can get a good fix on the satellites) and pinpoint your location within that circle.

It sounds to me me that if the original poster's GPS is way off like that but it is fine on the 3G that he either has a shoddy GPS controller or the software just needs to be reinstalled.

Restore the iPhone software and if that does not fix it, I would say you need to talk to Apple and get it swapped out with a replacement.

Thank you and everyone else for your suggestions. I did all the things that were mentioned, including removal of case, the software reset and even trying to run the 3Gs from scratch without restoring backups from my old 3G, but still no luck,,, after few hours on the phone with Apple tech support they determined that its probably a faulty GPS unit in the phone and they told me that I need to ship my phone to them and they will repair it.
    I objected that I think I should just get a new phone since this problem existed on a brand new phone, so They agreed to send me a new phone, and as soon as I receive that phone I send the faulty one with the included prepaid postage to them so I avoid double charge for the phone.

Thanks again everyone for your responses ,, hope no one else has to deal with annoying problems like this.

peace
    06-21-2009 11:24 AM
    Thank you and everyone else for your suggestions. I did all the things that were mentioned, including removal of case, the software reset and even trying to run the 3Gs from scratch without restoring backups from my old 3G, but still no luck,,, after few hours on the phone with Apple tech support they determined that its probably a faulty GPS unit in the phone and they told me that I need to ship my phone to them and they will repair it.
    I objected that I think I should just get a new phone since this problem existed on a brand new phone, so They agreed to send me a new phone, and as soon as I receive that phone I send the faulty one with the included prepaid postage to them so I avoid double charge for the phone.

Thanks again everyone for your responses ,, hope no one else has to deal with annoying problems like this.

peace
    Sounds like a great solution to me. Let us know how the replacement unit goes for you.
    06-21-2009 02:31 PM
    Behshad, did you have a decent AT&T signal, or no/weak AT&T signal? If my problem is due to a faulty GPS, I'd want to get a phone replacement as well.
    06-21-2009 05:40 PM
    Behshad, did you have a decent AT&T signal, or no/weak AT&T signal? If my problem is due to a faulty GPS, I'd want to get a phone replacement as well.
    I had a pretty decent signal. I tried in 3 different locations, with the old 3G right next to the new 3GS and the 3G found an pin-pointed me right away. The 3GS would just have the huge circle trying to locate me by pulsating and after 20 seconds it would just freeze and have a big circle without an actual center being pin-pointed at my current location.
    06-22-2009 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD