Now I'm getting pissed. Tethering useless.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The problem I'm having is this - my go**amned laptop refuses to acknowlege my iPhone as a USB network device.

- I turn tethering on, USB only.
- I plug my iPhone into my HP TouchSmart laptop.
- I stare at my screen like an a**hole praying to God that something happens.
- I go online looking for help, only to come up empty handed n
- I repeat all above steps 5 or 6 more times.

I've asked before, but everyone seems to literally be ignoring me. I have a thread in "iPhone Help", but I NEED people to see thisDand offer some assistance, so mods, please don't move this for a little bit?

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Do you have iTunes on the laptop? The reason I ask is one poster asked a question about not being able to tether laptops that didn't have itunes. He could tether the 6 or so laptops that did have itunes. Don't ask me why he had so many (he had like 9).

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You know, I really feel like a stupid a*s.

I installed iTunes (current version) on the laptop, and now it works like a damned dream. Loading websites with no problem, etc, etc.

I truly feel like an idiot. Such a simple fix, and it just never occured to me. *shakes head*

Thank you.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Now if only I could get the APN Settings to show up, or to get the "Cellular Data Network" fields to show the Settings>Network>Cellular Data Network to show up on AT&T so that I could enable MMS.......

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You know, I really feel like a stupid a*s.

I installed iTunes (current version) on the laptop, and now it works like a damned dream. Loading websites with no problem, etc, etc.

I truly feel like an idiot. Such a simple fix, and it just never occured to me. *shakes head*

Thank you.

Glad I could help. I don't think you should feel like an idiot though, since why would anyone thing itunes would make the network settings work.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Now if only I could get the APN Settings to show up, or to get the "Cellular Data Network" fields to show the Settings>Network>Cellular Data Network to show up on AT&T so that I could enable MMS.......

on the latter, you "just" need to get AT&T to remove the MMS Opt Out....lol...and then you can do the hack everyone seems to be doing.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
And how exactly would I get AT&T to remove this famous "opt out" thing? And what long-term effect would it have on my iPhone being able to use MMS when its legitimately supported by AT&T?

I basically, my longterm goal is that I want to keep the tethering hack forever *as I only intend on using it in emergencies, but to get rid of the MMS hack when AT&T legitimately supports TRUE MMS.

nickpav

May 2, 2009
Visit site
yeah ive had problems getting tethering working too. it wouldnt show up as a network device on my laptop, with itunes. however it was not the current version of itunes (sisters laptop, she never uses itunes). when i tried to my pc, with the current itunes, it DID work. the current version of itunes IS required. idk why, but it is

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, trust me, color me surprised. I think it has something to do with drivers. I don't know about you but when I updated iTunes on the laptop, after I restarted, I plugged the iPhone in, and it took a small second to update all drivers, and the voil?, suddenly the CPU recognizes everything perfectly.

MikeDVB

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Glad I could help. I don't think you should feel like an idiot though, since why would anyone thing itunes would make the network settings work.

The drivers that allow it to work are installed with the latest version of iTunes - I am sure somebody will pull them out of an iTunes installation and make them available on their own eventually.

hstankus

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
Tethering.. gone from menu

Hi, guys,

I've tried tethering at home with my laptop and it did work like a charm (iPhone OS 3.0, iTunes 8.2, Windows XP, carrier allows tethering, no hacking is necessary).

Then I tried to do the same on my brother's laptop (the same configuration). At the beginning it seemed that it tired to install the drivers but then guess what... Tethering was automagically removed from my phone's menu General --> Network... How? Why? Any ideas?

I restored the phone now, it brought tethering back. Restored my data from backup, tethering is gone again!!!

Anybody have seen his? Can anyone help, please.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I believe that going back to the website (help.benm.at) and redownloading the mobileconfig file should do the trick, but after you do, DON'T reboot your phone.

And don't repeat my mistake - make sure that te newest iTunes is installed on the second laptop.

iphone_aggie

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
And how exactly would I get AT&T to remove this famous "opt out" thing? And what long-term effect would it have on my iPhone being able to use MMS when its legitimately supported by AT&T?

I basically, my longterm goal is that I want to keep the tethering hack forever *as I only intend on using it in emergencies, but to get rid of the MMS hack when AT&T legitimately supports TRUE MMS.

It was easier to get them to remove it before all the hacks became public. Now, it's virtually impossible, since they've been told they'll be fired if they remove the opt out. You basically have to get an AT&T rep to remove it. However, the problem seems to be that even if they remove it, it gets put back on.

hstankus

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
Tethering is back!

Hi, guys,

I've tried tethering at home with my laptop and it did work like a charm (iPhone OS 3.0, iTunes 8.2, Windows XP, carrier allows tethering, no hacking is necessary).

Then I tried to do the same on my brother's laptop (the same configuration). At the beginning it seemed that it tired to install the drivers but then guess what... Tethering was automagically removed from my phone's menu General --> Network... How? Why? Any ideas?

I restored the phone now, it brought tethering back. Restored my data from backup, tethering is gone again!!!

Anybody have seen his? Can anyone help, please.

OK, I managed to solve the problem. It appeared that it is somehow connected with MMS. Our local service provider (Omnitel) has wrong settings for MMS in place, to be more exact, password is set incorrectly. It is "mss", while it should be "mms".

When I correct this error at General -> Network -> Cellular Data Network -> MMS, I am able to send MMS, but Tethering disappears from menu!

When I press Cellular Data Network -> "Reset Settings", I get wrong MMS password back altogether with Tethering. Now I can tether, but cannot send MMS :D

Funny, isn't it?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR