3G Screen vs 3GS Screen Color Tone?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry that others are experiencing this issue but at least now I know I'm not crazy. When comparing my new 3GS to both my 1st gen iphone and my girlfriend's 3G, I DEFINITELY notice a difference, both in terms of less color saturation/vibrance and less deep blacks. The way I was actually describing it to the guy at the AT&T store was that the screen seemed "hazy." In fact, the first time I noticed this issue was when I was syncing for the first time, I placed the iphone flat on the desk and sat back in my chair. At that angle, the screen was almost gray/white. I set my 1st gen iPhone next to it and it was much less washed out. I then noticed that when closing an app and briefly seeing a black screen before it is populated with icons, the black seemed hazy. I was SO frustrated (see below to understand) and was convinced that my screen sucked and my handset needed to be exchanged or returned.

Now here's the kicker: This is my SECOND 3GS. The first 3GS I got had another widespread issue (there may be threads about this but, in a nutshell, the glass was flush with the chrome bezel on the left side but lower than the bezel on the right, giving the right side a sharp edge and scraping feel when swiping to the right). What's weird is, I didn't notice the color/hazy black issue on that handset. Maybe I just missed it, but I'm wracked with OCD, so, until I found this thread, I was convinced that my first unit had a perfect screen similar to the other two phones I mentioned and that the one I currently have has a crummy screen. My experience with Palm devices over the years was that the screens are made in multiple factories by multiple vendors, and you never knew if you were going to get one with a yellow or blue hue. Now I'm wondering if the same is true with the iPhone. Is it possible that my first 3GS had a screen from a different manufacturer/vendor and actually was more vibrant and that my new unit has a screen from a different vendor? Or is it true that ALL 3GS handsets have this hazy, less vibrant screen and I just missed it on my first unit? I'd really like to know, as I had the AT&T store order me another unit which will be arriving in a few days!

Many thanks in advance for your input and feedback.

John

As a few people said, there was a difference between the 1st gen and the 3G and now there's probably a different between the 3G and the 3G S...I believe it may be done on purpose.

Warmer tones are easier on the eyes, and may even be a bit better on battery life, not really sure on that last one, but I'd think it would make sense...

To me, I really couldn't tell unless I put the two phones side by side, and if I can't tell, there's not really an issue. I like the display on the 3G S. Mine is still crisp and clean, don't know if there's a "hue" difference as I haven't bothered to compare.

It should not, however, look different from a separate angle, I just looked, and mine does not unless I hold it at a very odd angle, almost vertical, then I see a bit of a difference.

If it's hazy, that may not be normal, your best bet is to compare it to other 3G Ses and see if you still see a difference (make sure to put them on the same brightness level).

jsulmeyer

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the speedy reply. Mine definitely looks hazier as I tip it forward. I plan on going to the apple store tomorrow or Monday to compare. I'm not sure if they display the 3GS units (I always see 8GB 3G units on display) but hopefully they do, given the new features.

Thanks again very much for the input.

jsulmeyer

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Went to the apple store - some have the screen like mine that is hazy and gets hazier as you tip it forward; others have the screen similar to the 3G that has darker blacks, more saturated colors and that gets darker as you tip it forward. The manager said that unless the genius bar considers mine 'defective' as opposed to "within acceptable limits" they will not swap it out for me. At most, they might swap the screen. The last thing I want them to do to my new $300 phone is open it up and swap out the screen. They did say that if I return my unit to AT&T (tomorrow is my last day to do so) and walked into the apple store to buy a new 3GS, they would, at most, open 2 or possibly three boxes to find one that satisfies me but there is absolutely no guarantee that, if I actually did do this that a) they would follow through with this and b) that the phones would be any different than the one I have.

UGGH!

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It's done on purpose, but I'm not sure if I like the new screen. When I am watching a video on the iPhone, if the screen is tilted, the picture becomes noticeably yellowy/greenish, which didn't happen on the 3G. Also, when I'm watching a video and I resize it to fill the screen, the picture gets a little more purple or green in hue. I also just got my first pair of prescription glasses though so maybe I'm just noticing it now XD but it's very noticeable to me

bayourock

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
I was having the yellow screen issue as well.... I went to my local Apple store and got the run around, they told me they never heard of any such "problem" and said everthing was fine

I then went on vacation to Chicago and finally talked to a rep there.... He looked at my screen and said everything looked fine.... I then finally got him to compare mine to the floor model.... He was shocked by the difference and suggested that I make a genius appointment as soon as I could.... I return the next day and spoke with a genius who said she never heard of this poblem, but then compared my phone with another and instantly said.... Something is wrong.... She replaced it there with no other questions...

So as I speak, I am on my "new" 3GS..... The color tone is much better....

Try your local Apple store and insist on getting yours compared to the floor models

Last edited:

Rob_N

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
I've just bought a 3GS and compared to my 2G Touch the screen is darker with the brightness set at the same level.The contrast is better but it has a cooler tone than the Touch.Text looks sharper as well

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox