What I mean is.... will I still have all my contacts, bookmarks, SMS's, notes, camera roll, and settings after the upgrade? Also, will all of my voicemails stay put after the upgrade? I have a lot that I'm trying to save and don't want the upgrade to wipe them out.

I know I can re-sync to get my photos/applications back. I'm just worried about some of the little things. For example, I've been using Shazam to tag a bunch of songs I want to download later. Will the upgrade and re-installation of the Shazam app erase all of my previous tags? Will my bookmarks within the Maps application be saved? Will my YouTube bookmarks be saved? Will my Animoto slideshows be saved? My Howcast favorites?

Can someone who's already upgraded validate any of this?

Thanks for your help.
    06-18-2009 06:35 PM
    yes, itunes backs up everything before you sync. you wont lose any notes, contacts or even songs you have tagged in shazzam.
    06-18-2009 06:40 PM
    What I mean is.... will I still have all my contacts, bookmarks, SMS's, notes, camera roll, and settings after the upgrade? Also, will all of my voicemails stay put after the upgrade? I have a lot that I'm trying to save and don't want the upgrade to wipe them out.

I know I can re-sync to get my photos/applications back. I'm just worried about some of the little things. For example, I've been using Shazam to tag a bunch of songs I want to download later. Will the upgrade and re-installation of the Shazam app erase all of my previous tags? Will my bookmarks within the Maps application be saved? Will my YouTube bookmarks be saved? Will my Animoto slideshows be saved? My Howcast favorites?

Can someone who's already upgraded validate any of this?

Thanks for your help.
    Yes nothing is removed.
    06-18-2009 06:43 PM
    Yup, just like thatiphoneguy said, nothing will be lost. Everything will be put back in place.
    06-18-2009 06:44 PM
    What about voicemails? Do they stay intact as well?

Also, I'm wondering what extra steps I'll need to take since my phone is Jailbroken. I'm thinking I'll need to un-hide all of my hidden apps and remove the apps I have sitting in "Categories" folders, as well as the apps sitting in my SBSettings "dock."

Thanks for the quick responses.
    06-18-2009 06:54 PM
    your safe...unless your not, no, really your fine, maybe...just joking, your good to go, I think
    06-18-2009 06:55 PM
    when I upgraded absolutely nothing was lost.
    06-18-2009 06:56 PM
    What about voicemails? Do they stay intact as well?

Also, I'm wondering what extra steps I'll need to take since my phone is Jailbroken. I'm thinking I'll need to un-hide all of my hidden apps and remove the apps I have sitting in "Categories" folders, as well as the apps sitting in my SBSettings "dock."

Thanks for the quick responses.
    voicemails arent saved to your phone. you will lose your jail broken apps though..
    06-18-2009 07:04 PM
    oops. didn't see the jailbroken part. that is another story. sorry bout the earlier post He he
    06-18-2009 07:08 PM
    Yes, The only thing that changes are some of your settings such as push notification and some minor things. I have heard that some people have been having major problems with keeping their stuff intact but it has worked fine for me so far.
    06-18-2009 07:09 PM
    Do you think the backup made by my iphone 3g will restore on my new 3gs?
    06-18-2009 07:14 PM
    Yes, The only thing that changes are some of your settings such as push notification and some minor things. I have heard that some people have been having major problems with keeping their stuff intact but it has worked fine for me so far.

not even your settings should be lost, mine was the exact same after an upgrade, still had everything on it and push notification was still set to fetch at every 15 mins.. only thing weird was, i some how ended up with a percentage of battery remaining icon, which is apparently only available on the 3g-s. this i can not explain.
    Last edited by thatiphoneguy; 06-18-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    06-18-2009 07:14 PM
    Do you think the backup made by my iphone 3g will restore on my new 3gs?
    it should, it did for me. i went from 2g to 3g and all my settings emails everything was updated to the 3g.
    06-18-2009 07:23 PM
    Does it remember what page all of your apps are on?
    06-18-2009 07:35 PM
    Does the upgrade to 3.0 delete all of your App Store, meaning you have to re-sync afterwards?
    06-18-2009 11:00 PM
    If you restore to update, yes. If you update-only, no.
    06-18-2009 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD