Hey all. I'm really contemplating making the switch between a Storm to the Iphone 3G s. Now, this would require me to stop VZW and switch to AT&T.

Obviously the general consensus is that VZW trumps AT&T in coverage in every way. But by how much? I live on Long Island and go to school in CT, and my AT&T/Iphone friends have never really complained about the service or coverage. Has anyone switched from VZW and noticed a considerable change in service or coverage? I'm thinking I want to make the switch, but won't if the service really isnt that good.

My next question is: To sign up for AT&T plus the Iphone 3G s, is there some kind of first user discount since I'm a new subscriber to both AT&T and the Iphone? We're on a family plan but 2 of our phones are passed the VZW contract date, so we're judging how expensive it would be to make the AT&T/Iphone jump.

Any addition help would be much appreciated. People who have switched, let me know what you think! Thanks everyone.
    06-18-2009 09:51 AM
    You'd have to pay the ECF on your current Verizon contract, which could be anywhere from $100~$400 depending how much time is left on it.. If the other contracts are already past their date you should be able to just cancel those accounts!

If your friends haven't complained about reception that's a good sign. I don't know about AT&T in that area but it sounds fine if people aren't *****ing about it, cause if it's bad, people ***** all the time.

You will get the new user discount, which is the $199 or $299 price for the iPhone 3GS, and $99 for iPhone 3G.

You might be able to call AT&T and swing some kind of "switching discount" with them if you do it before you leave VZW.

Good luck! And congratulations on leaving the click screen. lmao
    06-18-2009 10:26 AM
    my experience is that AT&T is better than Verizon for coverage in my area. Your results will vary, but I have never had AT&T reception issues and I travel a lot. Not sure where all the AT&T hate comes from.
    06-18-2009 11:05 AM
    Larzo - I made the switch from Storm to iPhone 3G and couldn't be happier. The AT&T service in my area is not as good as VZW, but I don't care. The iPhone is so much more refined than the giant button. Make the switch, easy decision.
    06-18-2009 11:07 AM
    I was in the same boat and pulled the trigger on a 3gs. I sold the Storm on Ebay for $275 (using an old Pearl til Friday). My biggest concern isn't the coverage as much as how many minutes I'm going to end up using because I'm not in Verizon network anymore. I will be one of the very few people in my "circle" to have ATT, so that's something to think about when you're considering costs.

The Storm was fine for me as far as functionality, but after buying an ipod Touch on Craigslist, it made me realize the overall "experience" using the Apple product was much more satisfying.

I will miss some things about the Storm, but overall I have no doubt I will be satisfied with the 3gs. But like the OP my concern is that ATT will attempt to ruin my experience. No MMS or Tethering at launch is a good start.
    06-18-2009 11:19 AM
    I was in the same boat and pulled the trigger on a 3gs. I sold the Storm on Ebay for $275 (using an old Pearl til Friday). My biggest concern isn't the coverage as much as how many minutes I'm going to end up using because I'm not in Verizon network anymore. I will be one of the very few people in my "circle" to have ATT, so that's something to think about when you're considering costs.

The Storm was fine for me as far as functionality, but after buying an ipod Touch on Craigslist, it made me realize the overall "experience" using the Apple product was much more satisfying.

I will miss some things about the Storm, but overall I have no doubt I will be satisfied with the 3gs. But like the OP my concern is that ATT will attempt to ruin my experience. No MMS or Tethering at launch is a good start.
    No MMS or tethering at launch? When are they expected to come out?
    06-18-2009 11:34 AM
    No MMS or tethering at launch? When are they expected to come out?
    The official word on MMS from ATT is "later this summer". There is a thread that discusses the issue here but I can't post links so you'll have to search. Its all pure speculation at this point.

Tethering, who knows? I pulled this from an article on Wired:

AT&T would not disclose why it could not immediately support MMS or tethering. However, an AT&T spokesman told Wired.com the reason was unrelated to AT&Ts 3G network.

We plan to offer a tethering plan, but dont have an announcement to make at this time, the spokesman said. We absolutely will offer MMS on iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G with 3.0 upgrades in late summer once we complete some system upgrades that will ensure our customers have the best experience with MMS. These upgrades are unrelated to our 3G network.
    06-18-2009 11:49 AM
    The official word on MMS from ATT is "later this summer". There is a thread that discusses the issue here but I can't post links so you'll have to search. Its all pure speculation at this point.

Tethering, who knows? I pulled this from an article on Wired:
    Thanks for the info. The phone is pulling me in so hard. I just want to make sure that I'm going to be getting an equally good experience in coverage in my area for AT&T. The "coverage map" on their website shows that I'm covered, but of course the company will show that most of the US is beautifully draped in their coverage.
    06-18-2009 11:56 AM
    You'd have to pay the ECF on your current Verizon contract, which could be anywhere from $100~$400 depending how much time is left on it..
    How much would do you figure it would cost to have 2 phones with about 1 year left on their contract cancelled?
    06-18-2009 12:17 PM
    I made the switch from a Pearl to the iPhone a few months back. My Pearl was dying a slow death and the keyboard stopped functioning. I was with AT&T before and after, so i can only comment on the hardware.

I am very happy with my iPhone, but I will warn you, the first couple days you have it, you'll want to chuck it. It took at least 2-3 days for me to get used to the new interface, keyboard, etc. The hardest change for me was the keyboard. I have fat fingers and it took a bit of time to get typing down. Now it's not a problem.

of course, I love the breadth of applications available and don't think I can live without my iPhone now.

Good luck with the decision.

FWIW, there are some 'unofficial' places for you to download some sw that will let you mms and tether right now. From what I have seen, the functionality is very inconsistent at this time.
    06-18-2009 12:20 PM
    Do not trust AT&T's coverage map -- I live smack-dab in the middle of an ocean of 3G covered blue in California, but my reception and call quality is middling, and *significantly* worse than my old Verizon BB 8830, or wife's current Verizon BB Curve. (The quality is good enough for me, so I switched; it was not good enough for her, so she did not.) For that matter, do not trust Verizon's coverage map, either. if you are concerned, investigate yourself.

Service varies by region, so my experience in California has little bearing on yours in NY/CT. Since you have iPhone-carrying friends, take one each place you travel often and talk a while on your phone, then talk a while on his/her phone. If the call quality and coverage is good enough for you -- and you are clear on your termination fees and any other issues you are struggling with -- take the plunge. If not, hold off -- and maybe even drop AT&T a note as to why.
    06-18-2009 12:24 PM
    How much would do you figure it would cost to have 2 phones with about 1 year left on their contract cancelled?
    It depends on your contract, how much you spend per month is also a factor in early termination. You'll have to call Verizon and ask. If it's one year left on each that's still half your contract. I'd say it could be about $150 each but from the sale of the phones you may be able to recover enough to pay that off.
    06-18-2009 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD