Question on Setting up a New 3G S for Contacts and Notes

mario7

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Looking to see if this will work. Here's my plan.

I have a work PC with Exchange and Outlook. Work does not allow iTunes but I can install it and do an initial sync before uninstalling it.

What I would like to do is install iTunes and do an initial sync w/Outlook. I really only care about transferring my Contacts and Notes that are currently on my corporate Outlook account. I would want to load all those to the new phone.

At home I don't have Outlook. Is it possible to load the contacts from the phone (from the Outlook sync'd work account) to Outlook Express and thereafter keep them in sync that way? I assume I'd need to do something unique the first time at home to do a 'one way sync' from phone to PC?!

Since I have no place to truly sync Notes at home do will I be able to back them up to iTunes in case of phone troubles? Any other way to sync with Notes other than MobileMe? i.e a free way to do so.

Thanks much

Mike

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
So fist off you wont be able to sync your notes with the Exchange account. notes sync is only available on Macs. Second, the best way to sync your contacts and mail is through an exchange setup on the iphone for OTA sync.

I use my Exchange account from work on my phone and have mail, contacts, and calendar all synced... Let me know if you have any other questions.

mario7

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
So fist off you wont be able to sync your notes with the Exchange account. notes sync is only available on Macs. Second, the best way to sync your contacts and mail is through an exchange setup on the iphone for OTA sync.

I use my Exchange account from work on my phone and have mail, contacts, and calendar all synced... Let me know if you have any other questions.

1) Notes Sync for PC is available with OS 3.0

2) I agree but work does not allow for an ongoing iTunes/ActiveSync/Outlook connection. I can only do this one time.

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
ok, well, notes sync is not available OTA, and he cannot connect his phone to his work computer because he cannot install iTunes...

The only workaround for this is to have VPN access to your work network from your home computer so you can syn the notes to your home computer then to the phone...

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
The exchange connection i just like your PC Outlook connecting to the account... you should be able to have the phone connected wirelessly at all times...

mario7

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Let me clarify. I'm not concerned about ongoing OTA syncing. My work PC (w/Outlook/Exchange) does NOT allow for an ongoing exchange/sync with iTunes.

I just want to dump the large amount of Contacts and Notes I currently have on my work Outlook account. I CAN install iTunes and do an initial sync to do that but I will need to REMOVE iTunes once that's done.

SO, I will have all my needed data after that initial sync but then my question is what options I have on my home PC for syncing-short of loading Outlook.

Mike

Last edited:

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, sorry... Im reading too fast... So, with this situation, if you sync to your work PC that will be the only PC you can sync to... If you try to sync to your home PC it will erase everything and start fresh... The best thing you can do in this situation is to email all of your contacts from work to your home PC and do the Sync to the home PC, but this would require Outlook on the home PC... Another option is to sync your contacts with an LDAP account... Im not sure if Gmail has this available or not...

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
nope, i just remembered that you should have outlook express which does contacts... just emaill all of your contacts from work to home and sync to your home PC for the first time... This will give you all of the advantages of the contacts and still being able to sync music and apps to your home PC...

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
you should be able to email both... Just email them as whatever file type they come up as... Outlook Express can read them...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner