Is it worth getting the 3GS over the Regular 3G?

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating about getting the regular 8GB iPhone 3G since it's only $99 right now and am on the fence about waiting for the new model. I really don't need video recording and if I read the release notes for 3.0, it's not really anything extra that I'll need. I'm using a BB Bold and am used to having some lockup's due to trying to do too much.

One of my BIGGEST concerns is if I'm on a call which I am a LOT for work outside of the office, If I'll be able to get my Exchange emails and be able to reply to them while on the phone. If I can do that then I'll be switching for sure. I'd love to have a IM app that run's in the background since our office uses Gtalk for communications when needed instead of emails at times.

Advice?:eek:

thatiphoneguy

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm debating about getting the regular 8GB iPhone 3G since it's only $99 right now and am on the fence about waiting for the new model. I really don't need video recording and if I read the release notes for 3.0, it's not really anything extra that I'll need. I'm using a BB Bold and am used to having some lockup's due to trying to do too much.

One of my BIGGEST concerns is if I'm on a call which I am a LOT for work outside of the office, If I'll be able to get my Exchange emails and be able to reply to them while on the phone. If I can do that then I'll be switching for sure. I'd love to have a IM app that run's in the background since our office uses Gtalk for communications when needed instead of emails at times.

cant you send emails from your bb while on the phone? i just recently switched over to the iphone3g from a bold, im pretty sure that you can still send emails while on the phone.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes but the BB also let's things run in the background, I'm VERY new to the iPhone and don't want to risk not being able to reply to Exec's emails during a call.

I'll more then likely pick up the 3G tomorrow during lunch but not activate it right away until I can figure out how to get my way around things, I'll toss my SIM card in and activate it on Exchange when I get home tomorrow but just to play with it and get used to how things work. My wife won't put her's down for 5 minutes unless she's sleeping so I can't use her's to test with.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

Spend another hundred and get the 3G S. In the past people have considered double the storage worth a hundred. In this case, you get upgraded specs such as processor. Even if you don't need or use video recording.

Not to mention you'll still be shelling out the same dough each month for the plan.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
It would be the $199 price points. Problem is the stores around here are all booked as far as pre orders go and I know all the managers at them. They've all told me the same thing, unless I ordered it the day it went out on the web, then I'll be looking at close to a month before I can get one at the store.

OmariJames

May 31, 2009
Visit site
I think it's worth it. Just get the new model...

It's not only video recording , the over all phone is much faster.

Right now I'm using my sisters first ten iPod touch to type this response and the keyboard is much faster and responsive. I recall seeing something about the iPodT having a faster processor than the iPhone. Now the 3G S has a faster processor. If typing on the first ten ipodT is faster for me , I could also image much much faster everything else will go on the 3G S.

Voltaic Shock

Sep 16, 2008
Visit site
You can't run applications in the background such as BeeJive, you can use Backgrounder if you Jailbreak but that doesn't always work.

Mail is allowed to run the background and will use Push services. I hear BeeJive is suppose to support push notifications so that might work for you.

I really miss background processing. I had the Bold, it's the main thing I miss.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Isnt Beejive coming out with an update to at least utilize PUSH...Its going to be a free update. And I love my Bold. Its solid as hell

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
For some odd reason, I don't think I'll be typing as fast anyhow since I have big fingers and thumbs. I'm 1 finger typing when I mess with my wife's iPhone because I fat finger the keys.

The Bold will be my standby device as from what I understand, I can take my SIM and put it in the iPhone and it will work as far as data goes, the only difference is Visual Voice Mail won't work but I use youmail anyhow. I'll remove myself off my BES at the office for a few days and see how I like using the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox