The Official Staying up Until Midnight for 3.0 Thread.

Will you be Staying up for 3.0?

• Yes I can't wait

Votes: 122 70.9%
  • No I need my sleep.

Votes: 50 29.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jay_k

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Secondly, ever other MAJOR firmware update has been released between 8-10 a.m. in respect to each time zone. For once there is a perk to live on the East Coast... just kidding EST peeps I got love for your. This is largely due to
A.) Publicity in news outlets which will drive morning stock prices for Apple if people watching the news get to see the release happen.

B.) Tech support lines usually have more staffing at normal business hours to help the hundreds of complaining customers who did something wrong or just didn't read about the updates.

C.) Apple stores are open at 10 almost nation wide.

markcmann

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Makes sense
What I know is that it is not a beta and it is the 'Golden Master' build which is what is to be released by Apple (unless there was an updated build to the installer after WWDC.) But I too will verify the version build once Apple gets it out...

PublicEnemy

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Just wait man, the world isn't going to end if you don't get it right now.

It might if you manage to eff up your phone by installing some rogue build that jimmy numb nuts who claims its legit posted.

Glaurung

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone actually have the Gizmodo article up on their screen still that they can copy and paste here? It was taken down pretty damn quick.

markcmann

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Cool, now to do, or not to do is the question.
If you do, just remember to backup prior to installing and if you are Windows user hold the shift key down (MAC users I think it is the Option key?) prior to hitting the update button in iTunes and then browse to the file.

Mario

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site

It might if you manage to eff up your phone by installing some rogue build that jimmy numb nuts who claims its legit posted.

I'm in no rush, was just hopeful. But I've waited a year for most of these features, few hours won't hurt.

markcmann

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site

Call me what you want, but it is not a 'rogue build', it is the build that was available to all the thousands of developers at the start of WWDC, but I understand your feelings as you do not know me, etc. But if I could prove I have it running right now I would do so.

dickens

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You can get it now. Just fire up your favorite Torrent client and look for iPhone OS 3.0 7a341. Everyone can install this, not just developers. Here's how it works:

Note: The image is called iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw. It should be 230.1MB

Warning: Do this at your own risk

2:29 PM ? I'm downloading it as I write these lines. Will tell you how the install goes in a few minutes.

2:43 PM ? It's here. Installing right now. Remember to synchronize your iPhone first, just in case something goes wrong. That way you can go back to your last version.

2:46 PM ? Press the alt (Mac) or shift (PC) and click on the restore button. Then select the disk image from your torrent download folder.

2:58 PM ? Still at it after sync. All seems good. Would it work?

3:00 PM ? Optional dork thing: Play the Back to the Future main theme to make it more exciting.

3:05 PM ? "Verifying iPhone software now." (After Back to the Future you can play the Death Star Trench Run.)

3:06 PM ? Bar is almost at half now in the iPhone. (Stay on target.)

3:07 PM ? "Restoring iPhone firmware..." and iPhone bar at half.

3:09 PM ? Still restoring iPhone firmware, but iPhone progress bar now at three quarters. (Dork playlist still going on. Now the Contact main theme is playing.)

3:11 PM ? It's done. It's restarting right now!

3:12 PM ? iPhone is up and it has re-appeared in iTunes. (Celebrating with Kim Deal singing Gigantic)

3:13 PM ? iTunes is now restoring all my data. (you did synched before, right?)

3:14 PM ? Almost there.

3:15 PM ? Success! Data is now restored (that was fast! Usually it takes a long more).

3:15 PM ? Another bar has appeared in the iPhone. Must be cleaning up something.

3:16 PM ? OK, it's done. It has my setting now but is synchronizing, for some reason.

3:17 PM ? Ah, it's now copying my address book, contacts, bookmarks, and applications. Guess the restore process is now different and that's why it is so fast.

3:21 PM ? Still updating applications. Now installing "Rolando." Did I ever say how much I love Rolando?

3:22 PM ? Now (re)installing SkyBurger while the Stones play Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

3:24 PM ? iTunes is now copying songs. Going to cancel the song sync.

3:27 PM ? Success! It works great. Just wrote an email in landscape mode.

7a341 is the golden master, the WWDC'09 build that Apple will distribute next week? if nothing extraordinary happens. It works great, so download and enjoy.

Mario

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
If you do, just remember to backup prior to installing and if you are Windows user hold the shift key down (MAC users I think it is the Option key?) prior to hitting the update button in iTunes and then browse to the file.

Yeah I don't have a backup, and i manually manage all of my music. So I'm gonna just hit the sack and wake up to the update. (hopefully) :confused:

jkegjgbka

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Call me what you want, but it is not a 'rogue build', it is the build that was available to all the thousands of developers at the start of WWDC, but I understand your feelings as you do not know me, etc. But if I could prove I have it running right now I would do so.

i have 3.0 running on my 2g. went through the process last night. no problems whatsoever.

jay_k

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
And did I mention that the release will influence Apple's stock? Hahaha whether we like it or not Apple is trying to make money, not just please us loyal and loving customers. They got HORRIBLE press for the 3G release with the downed servers and bricked phones which knocked there stock around. You better believe with the Pre out that they are going to make sure everyone is up and watching when they unleash their latest and greatest to the world.

markcmann

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
It will ask you if you want to backup prior to the update. If you have not done it before it will take a while...so be prepared to sit even longer... :)

This is for Mario BTW.

Mario

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
And did I mention that the release will influence Apple's stock? Hahaha whether we like it or not Apple is trying to make money, not just please us loyal and loving customers. They got HORRIBLE press for the 3G release with the downed servers and bricked phones which knocked there stock around. You better believe with the Pre out that they are going to make sure everyone is up and watching when they unleash their latest and greatest to the world.
You've pretty muched just summed up (insert company name here). lol.

jay_k

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
the server build thats out now is NOT rouge or tainted. Download away if you must have something that everyone will have in a few hours. But just be fully aware that messing with your phones OS is dangerous and NOT UNDER WARRANTY if you dick it up.