Will official 3.0 be any different than GM

skaramanga

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Just wondering if the official 3.0 software that gets released tomorrow will have any differences from the 3.0GM. For example, bug fixes etc.
Thanks

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Yes -- but only a minor difference. The GM Seed locks your iPhone into a "development mode" which prevents it from having it's firmware ever downgraded. The firmware that will be released at midnight will be identical, except for this lock.

Considering there are reports that the iPhone OS 3.0 update makes the 3G very sluggish, I'd steer away from the GM Seed since then you'll no longer have the choice to downgrade.

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
ive read in various places that the GM does not lock anything on the phone into development mode.

when the itunes release is out tomorrow someone will be able to confirm the build number.

apple would be retarded if they did lock down the gm how would developers get later releases in order to test software.

if there is a difference (like bug fixes) a normal update should bring tha down,

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes -- but only a minor difference. The GM Seed locks your iPhone into a "development mode" which prevents it from having it's firmware ever downgraded. The firmware that will be released at midnight will be identical, except for this lock.

Considering there are reports that the iPhone OS 3.0 update makes the 3G very sluggish, I'd steer away from the GM Seed since then you'll no longer have the choice to downgrade.

Yes just a couple little edits.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Since we're hours away from the official release, it's best to just stick it out instead of installing the GM. Is the risk really worth it, just to shave off a few hours from the release time?

antonioj

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
No firmware is impossible to downgrade. DFU mode let?s you do it, always. I downgraded my iphone 2 times in the beta process

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
antonioj is correct, however i think one of the issues was you couldnt downgrade the baseband back (only really a problem if you intend to unlock), not sure if this will affect how the phone runs with a newer baseband than main firmware

Captain Chunk#IM

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site

My 3G is not in development mode and is not sluggish, and I've been running 3.0 since last week.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Just reporting what I know.

Apple warned the developers at WWDC that installing the GM would lock their phone so that it cannot be downgraded. I'm assuming Apple wasn't making this up, but perhaps I assume to much?

The sluggish report comes from some posts I have read online, and also a friend whom I have the GM to that didn't want to wait. He doesn't follow iPhone stuff online and within a couple of hours, he told me his iPhone was running slow.

At this point, this is a moot discussion. There's no point to upgrade to GM today.

texags08

Sep 8, 2008
Visit site
3.0 runs faster than 2.2.1 for me on the 3G. Having the GM allows me to have MMS and tethering with ATT already... I will not upgrade to the final release unless someone confirms that i will not lose MMS and tethering.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro