i cant believe that b/c im not eligible for an upgrade att is trying to charge me $600 to buy a 3GS....thats just crazy! its cheaper for me to cancel my line n buy the 3Gs at the discounted price...i dont have any questions, just venting ppl......
    06-14-2009 06:03 PM
    If you cancel you will not be able to re-up for three months. that is part of the loophole that is never mentioned.

I am real tired of people being upset at the price of the phone and the way AT&T is handling it. it is what it is...You DO have the power of choice.
    06-14-2009 06:10 PM
    i do agree on the intense price without an upgrade. i bought my iphone for about $400 because i wasnt eligible for an upgrade in november. and i still am not eligible! so i wont be getting it. i think its crazy rediculous. but thats just me, and im not trying to argue.
    06-14-2009 06:18 PM
    i think iphone users must never have owned a cell phone before, because this is the way it has always been. you could always get your phone on a one year contract rather then two, that way you can upgrade every time apple releases a new phone....
    06-14-2009 06:18 PM
    i guess i just dont know too much about the whole contract/or upgrade process. all i know is that i dont remember hearing anyone ever spending $600 on a cell phone.
    06-14-2009 06:20 PM
    i guess i just dont know too much about the whole contract/or upgrade process. all i know is that i dont remember hearing anyone ever spending $600 on a cell phone.
    basic cell phones don't cost 600 no, but i remember my little samsung flip phone it was 99 with no contract, 50 with a one year contract, and free with a two year contract. just the way its always worked, if you sign a long term contract with them they are willing to lose money giving you a phone because they will make it up over the course of the contract.
    06-14-2009 06:25 PM
    To be honest the $600 price tag does not surprise me at all. Apple views themselves as a provider of "premium" products, and as such they price accordingly. Heck, price has been one of the biggest complaints regarding Apple's products for years.

Apple applies a premium price tag because they know at the end of the day that consumers will pay for their product. When enough consumers elect to find a lower cost provider/seller, Apple will be forced to adjust their prices. I think you see some of this happening with their computers as prices have recently been lowered on number of their various Macs.
    06-14-2009 06:37 PM
    its probably over priced at 599, but then again 32gb of solid state storage isn't cheap. just look at the price of a 32 gb sd card..

SanDisk | Products | Imaging Cards | Ultra II SD Cards
    06-14-2009 06:48 PM
    Spend spent that much on 1st gen
    06-14-2009 07:16 PM
    Patrick Norton on this week's Tekzilla: Don't get me started on the price of electronics manufactured in countries where they don't even pay the workers enough to eat.
    06-14-2009 07:21 PM
    i cant believe that b/c im not eligible for an upgrade att is trying to charge me $600 to buy a 3GS....thats just crazy! its cheaper for me to cancel my line n buy the 3Gs at the discounted price...i dont have any questions, just venting ppl......
    Did you just buy an iPhone? You should be eligible for $399/$499.
    06-14-2009 07:46 PM
    All smart phones contract-free are expensive. The Nokia N97 is $699. I guess I'm just used to this,because before the iPhone 3G,all I'd ever used were unlocked smart phones. The average price per phone was $450-$500. With all you get with an iPhone the $399 contract extension is a pretty good deal IMO.
    Like Duvi said I thought all iPhone 3G owners were offered the $399/$499 price with a contract extension.
    06-14-2009 08:05 PM
    32GB iPhone cost $699, at&t is given you a $200 discount off of that for an early upgrade which is a decent discount I think with no benefit to at&t except keeping you happy.

I understand why people get mad at first, but the only reason you are getting the $700 phone for $300 or $500 is because you are signing a two year contract. If you are already in a contract then why do you think you deserve the same discount? What's in it for them?
    06-14-2009 08:48 PM
    32GB iPhone cost $699, at&t is given you a $200 discount off of that for an early upgrade which is a decent discount I think with no benefit to at&t except keeping you happy.

I understand why people get mad at first, but the only reason you are getting the $700 phone for $300 or $500 is because you are signing a two year contract. If you are already in a contract then why do you think you deserve the same discount? What's in it for them?
    Yes if you already have a contract with them you should not get a discount.
    06-14-2009 08:50 PM
    If you're ticked at that price then maybe you should imagine your Nokia 8310 being broken and told you have to pay $250 for a new one... Needless to say I didn't get a new one. Circa Cingular days.
    06-14-2009 09:46 PM
    Please don't remind me of those c days....they are why it has taken me so long to return and finally order the iphone!
    06-14-2009 10:13 PM
    It is pretty stupid.....it's not like we're leaving AT&T, we're just getting a new phone!
    06-15-2009 11:16 AM
    Unfortunately our culture has changed to feel like they are entitled to something all the time, and lack the responsibility that often comes along with "getting something for free".

People signed a 2 year contract, for which AT&T paid part of the price of phone with the agreement you would fulfill the 2 year contract. Now, people want AT&T to pay for another phone for them when they haven't even finished up their previous arrangement. I understand being being alarmed at the price, but when all is said and done, AT&T fulfilled their end of the bargain ( cheaper phone ), now you need to fulfill yours ( 2 year contract..though they give you the upgrade price @ 18 months IIRC) before you're eligible for a cheaper phone again.
    06-15-2009 12:21 PM
    its probably over priced at 599, but then again 32gb of solid state storage isn't cheap. just look at the price of a 32 gb sd card..

SanDisk | Products | Imaging Cards | Ultra II SD Cards
    It's priced exactly where most smartphones are outright. It's also the dummy price because anyone who pays that much to get a minimally upgraded phone is a big dummy.
    06-15-2009 12:51 PM
    It's priced exactly where most smartphones are outright. It's also the dummy price because anyone who pays that much to get a minimally upgraded phone is a big dummy.

but safari will open 1/100th of a second faster, surely thats worth 700 bucks :P
    06-15-2009 12:54 PM
    but safari will open 1/100th of a second faster, surely thats worth 700 bucks :P
    Yes and I can record and edit videos that's worth $700.
    06-15-2009 12:57 PM
    Patrick Norton on this week's Tekzilla: Don't get me started on the price of electronics manufactured in countries where they don't even pay the workers enough to eat.

Best comment yet.

I'm quite glad i cant get my hands on it yet, upgrade in December so will have spare xmas cash to upgrade then sell my 3G on ebay with the rest of em
    06-15-2009 01:04 PM
    You could buy a much higher quality video camera for $700, there's only so much that you need to do on a phone...
    I was being smart.
    06-16-2009 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD